Calories Burned for strength training?????

Options
I added resistance training to my log today because I began using my Pilates Power Gym. I used 2 lbs of resistance and did 60 sets with 12 reps. ( I think that is how I was to enter it - 60 different types of moves at 12 times each)... Anywho, it is not showing the calories that I burned from this, did I enter something wrong? Please help. Thanks. :indifferent:

Replies

• CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    The only way to be accurate is with a HRM.
  • LinsenNRoses
    LinsenNRoses Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you add it on the strength training section it won't show the calories burned. If you type strength training in the cardio section that will pop up and just put the minutes there. But yes it probably won't be accurate without a HRM. :)
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I put my strength training calories under cardio, and just enter the total calories I've burned on my heart rate monitor.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    The only way to be accurate is with a HRM.

False. HRM can't accurately calculate calories during weight lifting. Remember, HRMs can only measure heart rate, and apply a formula (based on constant cardio) to calculate calories.

You just gotta GUESS!
  • jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Options
    What's an HRM. Also, how am I suppossed to see a visual tracking if this site doesn't show that?
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    What's an HRM. Also, how am I suppossed to see a visual tracking if this site doesn't show that?
    Heart Rate Moniter.

HRM's are not reliable for strength training however, as strength training does not use oxygen to make energy. And there is no way to know calorie burn from strength training as the more you are able to lift, and the degree to which you push yourself all have varying burns. The calorie burn from strength training comes from after the workout where you body repairs broken down tissue. If you're not pushing yourself to your limits, your calorie burn won't be near as much. And of course, the more you lift, the more energy it requires too, even with the same number of reps. And the more muscle groups you get involved, the better. squats > bi curls for example even if going to failure at 12 reps for both.

All that said, the routine you described is NOT strength training, it's cardio. So enter it as you would any cardio routine based on your heart rate.