HELP! upright or recumbent???

Options
Hello everyone...i would really love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this subject. I want to buy a stationary bike but dont know if there is much of a difference on the two styles of bike...i see there are the upright bikes and the recument bikes...does anyone know which kind gives you the best workout or are they the same?? im so confused...thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I think it really comes down to personal preference. You should probably try both kinds and decide which one suits you better!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm short waisted, have large boobs and long legs so i prefer upright just because the recumbent can make me feel all bunched up, especially as my legs come in.

i also find it easier to do hiit on an upright than a recumbent for that reason.

oh yeah and recumbent is easier to slack off, especially if you get the kind with the arm rest :laugh:
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    The best way to tell is to spend 30 minutes on each wearing a HRM and compare calories burned.
  • cmbdaniels
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!!
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Don't know much about stationary bikes, but I know that I love recumbent cycling. Much more comfortable to ride.

POCTSHIRT.jpg
  • cmbdaniels
    Options
    thanks guys...i guess i will test them out and see what feels best.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    If you ride at a cadence that would be considered 'typical range' for racing, then upright is the better choice. Get on an upright and push it to 100 rpm, then do the same on a recumbent. For me, I feel like I'm going to bounce off the machine when I'm on a recumbent, but on the upright my upper body remains still.

(Keep in mind, I ride 105 rpm on my road bike, so that's what's important to me in the argument)
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Definitely test them out for an extended ride or two... the only recumbent I was ever on made my upper hamstrings cramp. Good luck!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Upright helps with posture, recumbent stresses your back.
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yep, it is a personal choice. I only like the recumbent bike. I just did my personal best this week at 16 miles in an hour. Love it !! Good luck with your journey =)
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I hated the recumbent bike.

The stationary bike is my first love!

Just be sure to invest in a really good seat!
    Totally worth the extra $20 to $30 to ride in comfort!
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    And for me it was the opposite...traded in my upright and love my recumbent. So the advice to try them out is the best because it is such a personal choice. Also, I agree invest in a good seat your bottom will thank you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Neither. Get a spin bike with a weighted wheel
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Upright helps with posture, recumbent stresses your back.

Exactly why one needs to try them out. I've had the exact opposite experience with recumbents.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Actually, now that I think about it, my advice would be to get the bike you want to ride outdoors and invest in a CycleOps Fluid2 Trainer - now you have a bike, a stationary bike and it doubles as a convenient bike stand as well.
  • cmbdaniels
    Options
    lots of good advice...thanks everyone!