Recently made self discovery

Options
Hey all,

I just wanted to share with some of you out there what I recently discovered after a gut-wrenching workout. Obviously, I am very new to this forum and this website, but not so to tracking my diet and exercise, which I LOVE I am a true believer that tracking what you eat throughout the day helps you make better choices. Moving along, I am an 18 going on 19 year old girl with anxiety and depression, mental illness runs in my family. I am a high school dropout. I have huge self image issues. I think I am ugly. I hate my acne. I am not thin enough. I hate my hair, so I cut it all off.

In the past few months, I have been little by little making changes in order to lead a healthier life. I am starting to eat better, more natural whole foods, a couple rules of mine are no fast foods and no junk foods! I am drinking a lot of water. Yesterday I started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, with the hopes of firming up my body while remembering to exercise daily, if only for my health.

Today I pushed through day 2! I almost didn't do it, I got a couple tips from this forum for sore muscles... it was hard.

After I workout, I go to my bathroom full-length mirror. I felt good. I lift up my shirt, look at my body when it's all pumped up, I look up. I'm smiling! Panting and smiling, and sweat coming down like I just got out of the pool (well, almost.) But you know what? With all that sweat on myself? I LIKED who was in the mirror! Workout clothes, hair awry (I told you I had cut it all off, it is now growing back and long but not long enough for a ponytail, also extremely wavy/borderline curly,) I had a smile on and I looked SEXY. I felt CONFIDENT.

Now, it may not matter to most of you, but to me, today was a huge eye opener for me. I don't have to be a model! All I have to be is the best that I can. If knowing that I am taking steps to become a more active, healthy human being is enough for me to smile, and mean it, it will be enough for you to, you just gotta do it.

Anyways I look forward to being a part of this community! Already I am in love with it, I can't wait to log more healthy activity in my diary and everything. It's great! Thanks guys!

Replies

• gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    That's great! Attitude is everything, and getting over all the nonsense negative imaging of yourself is a fantastic way to go.

Always remember that nobody is perfekt. :wink:
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,215 Member
    Options
    We are at such different ends of adulthood, but I love that you have shared your feelings as you discover how great it is to track, sweat, and feel powerful.

I had that at your age, lost it, and have now come back to the strongest and most fabulous feeling person I can be at 58 years old.

Try not to go more than a couple of days without a great workout! Even if it is short, it will remind you of how great you can feel and how strong, bouncy, and amazing you are.

Sweat, feel great and stick with it!!!