Impressed with this site

Options
Akimajuktuq
Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
I signed up awhile back but then forgot and never got used to this site.... finally checked it out fully today and am very impressed. What was I thinking paying $22 per month for a "service" that's not even as good as myfitnesspal? Go figure. Everything is adaptable to a primal diet! I've already figured out how to adjust the nutrition goals to match the percentages of carb/fat/protein that I want, not what someone else says I should have. I'm so happy that I can make sure I eat enough of the right foods and less of the wrong ones.

Anyway, hello! So, I am "new" but not new at struggling with my health/weight. I live in the Arctic and eating healthy (non-processed) foods is a challenge; as well as, dealing with the emotional issues that lead to food addiction and over-eating in the first place. If one has the time and resources to hunt, then this is the perfect place for a healthy lifestyle. If one is an employed, single mother then not so much. But there's no excuses; I can eat like a cave woman and get happier and healthier while doing so!

I look forward to reading what everyone has to say. Best wishes on your journey.

Replies

• gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

MFP is a great tool and community.

I am personally not a fan of fad diets but everyone has to walk their own path. I wish you the best.

Being from Florida the idea of living in the Arctic gives me the chills LOL
  • Tammy518
    Tammy518 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Yes many who find us soon realize how easy it is to get in shape and track what they do eat. Don't think DIET, but rather believe in the new life and permanent lifestyle change for the better that you will gain from being committed to tracking your daily intake. I haven't been here long but I am very impressed as well. We can do this with the help we will get here at MFP.

The main thing is be honest with yourself and your daily logs, trust me you will feel so much more confident about your accomplishments that are sure to come very soon. Good luck and remember to make goals, short term and long term ones and stick to them.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Hi gpstrucker, thanks for the welcome.

LOL, eating primal, that is, like aboriginal people is no "fad diet". Our ancestors lived successfully on a high protein/high fat diet for thousands of years. Being almost 40, I spent my youth following fads (low fat) and starving myself and damaged myself physically, emotionally and spiritually. The only time that I do not fight over-eating and food addiction is when I eat like my ancestors. Of course, the quality of the food makes a difference; I'm not talking wieners and bacon. :) It's what works for me, when I actually stick to it.

I'll be visiting Florida in November. I'm looking forward to "talking to Americans". :) I have a lot in common with my westerly and southerly neighbours.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Thanks Tammy. Nice to meet you.

Now that I see what MFP does with the tracked info, I'm ecstatic. Now I WANT to track. The other site that I was using gave me zero information on the grams of carb/fat/protein or calories. I don't care much about the calories (when I eat primal my appetite naturally declines), but the balance of the macronutrients is very important for me. I'm not new to trying to lose weight and I spend a lot of time studying nutrition, so I'm new on here but have already determined what works for me. Unfortunately, I have emotional issues that gets in the way of long term success. But never stop trying, I say.
  • gpstrucker
    Options
    Hi gpstrucker, thanks for the welcome.

LOL, eating primal, that is, like aboriginal people is no "fad diet". Our ancestors lived successfully on a high protein/high fat diet for thousands of years. Being almost 40, I spent my youth following fads (low fat) and starving myself and damaged myself physically, emotionally and spiritually. The only time that I do not fight over-eating and food addiction is when I eat like my ancestors. Of course, the quality of the food makes a difference; I'm not talking wieners and bacon. :) It's what works for me, when I actually stick to it.

I'll be visiting Florida in November. I'm looking forward to "talking to Americans". :) I have a lot in common with my westerly and southerly neighbours.

I understand, and wasn't trying to offend, but paleo/primal is classified as a fad diet. Like I said, everyone has to walk their own path and if that sort of diet makes sense to you then more power to you and I wish you the best..
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I wasn't offended at all and I understand that some people are following the government food guides for "good nutrition". I've just never heard of a natural human diet being called a "fad diet". Who has classified it as a "fad diet"? It might seem new in the sense that there is recent, renewed interest in eating natural food, but it's a very old way of eating. I'm not at all pushing it on anyone, but with all the research that I have done, this way of eating makes the most sense for me and far from anything like a "fad" imo.

I'm curious, not offended. :)
  • gpstrucker
    Options
    A great many doctors, and the AMA, have classified it as a fad diet. A fad isn't necessarily a bad thing, just a bunch of people jumping on the next fashionable bandwagon. It could be a really good bandwagon.

I say nothing good or bad about it, but it isn't for me. If it works for you then go for it. I'll support ya all the way.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Thanks gpstrucker. I discovered low carb many, many years ago with Atkins. I knew even then that Dr. Atkins was right about a few things, but very wrong on a few others. No matter the fancy name for it, eating like my ancestors and aboriginal people (I live with Inuit) makes a lot of sense for me.

Through my research and personal experience I have found that there is much wrong with what doctors know/advise and even one of my doctors openly admitted that they don't learn much about nutrition. I don't live in the US, but the medical associations of both our countries are seriously broken and corrupt. IMO

Thanks for your support. I don't have any other options except avoiding grains, legumes and limiting other stuff because when I eat wrong, I am always struggling with binging and over-eating. Now that I have a child, I find the struggle even more difficult. :)
  • Snapdraggon
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have just been using this site a few days, but so far I LOVE it. I used Livstrong, myplate for a couple weeks, but there are some flaws. On the iphone, the nutritional values never change, so I couldn't track my percentages. So far this is fantastic. Finally getting some uses out of my smart phone (new to a smart phone). I hope this helps me lose weight. I have been working with a personal trainer for 4 months, 2xs week and have only lost 1 pound. I am about ready to quit. They are tough workouts where I totally sweat (yuck). Had thyroid checked and that is fine. I am 54 and trying to eat around 1200-1300 calories. I don't know what else to do.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have just been using this site a few days, but so far I LOVE it. I used Livstrong, myplate for a couple weeks, but there are some flaws. On the iphone, the nutritional values never change, so I couldn't track my percentages. So far this is fantastic. Finally getting some uses out of my smart phone (new to a smart phone). I hope this helps me lose weight. I have been working with a personal trainer for 4 months, 2xs week and have only lost 1 pound. I am about ready to quit. They are tough workouts where I totally sweat (yuck). Had thyroid checked and that is fine. I am 54 and trying to eat around 1200-1300 calories. I don't know what else to do.

If you are building muscle, then your weight loss will seem slower, but you will still be losing fat. Try taking measurements monthly and you will see a difference. This site helps me because I can adjust the goals to higher protein/fat and lower carbs. I love that. Don't quit, and don't base all of your success on that number on the scale. Health is most important and over time, if you stick with it, you WILL have good results.