Breakfast

Options
I am really struggling with breakfast. I have been really trying to cut out as many unhealthy carbs as possible (last 2 days have not been good with that ;) ) I have been eating mainly 2 eggs with either black forest ham or baby spinach. But I noticed that my cholesterol intake is quite high. I know this week has been horrible for my eating but...i find when I can start it out good i can keep my eating pretty good. Any good low carb breakfast suggestions would be great. thanks.

Replies

• pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I eat McCann's Irish Oatmeal often for breakfast. Maybe throw in a handful of blueberries or just a small amount of peanut butter or brown sugar....keeps me satisfied until lunch
  • christinacrisfield
    christinacrisfield Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have been making home made smoothies. One cup Low Fat Greek Yogurt - Vanilla Bean and one cup each of 2 kinds of frozen fruits. I've been mixing them up. Also surprising inexpensive, when you compare to what you might pay at a smoothie place. I bought a weeks worth of fruit and yogurt for $14. And I know there's no added sugar :)
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I have been making home made smoothies. One cup Low Fat Greek Yogurt - Vanilla Bean and one cup each of 2 kinds of frozen fruits. I've been mixing them up. Also surprising inexpensive, when you compare to what you might pay at a smoothie place. I bought a weeks worth of fruit and yogurt for $14. And I know there's no added sugar :)

I do that too and use almond milk. It is inexpensive and easy clean up too.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat oatmeal either with apple sauce or fresh berries and a little bit of semi-skimmed milk, I'm currently loving Stoats porridge blend which you can get in Scotland (not sure about elsewhere). I suppose it depends whether you would be open to consuming that type of carbs in the morning. Otherwise I also enjoy greek yohurt with berries.
  • pinkie1981
    Options
    I usually have either egg beaters with some form of veggie with it. or oatmeal, sometimes fruit, and also on lazy days toast and fruit
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    You could change your eggs to 3 eggs (1 whole and 2 egg whites) and maintain the same effect. All of the cholesterol in eggs in in the yolk.
  • DaneDillinger
    DaneDillinger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I generally have a bowl of oatmeal and 4 servings of Egg Beaters (there's no cholesterol in the Beaters). I know you want a lower carb breakfast, but the oatmeal will help lower your cholesterol... Breakfast usually comes in at 260 calories: 33 carbs, 2 fat and 27 protein.
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    for breakfast I have usually 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites, either scrambled or in a healthy omelet with veggies :-)
  • karyn3037
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. Currently my cholestrol is fine, but I have a strong history of heart disease in my family so I want to keep my cholestrol levels in the good area LOL
  • ProjFit
    ProjFit Posts: 143
    Options
    Weight control oatmeal, multi grain waffles, spinach omelette with egg whites only. Whole eggs are actually pretty bad for you, because of the yolk. If you can, try to narrow it down to one egg, or stick to egg whites only.
  • NCISFanatic01
    NCISFanatic01 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about using the Egg beaters or generic equivalent ? That works well for someone wanting to cut it out some.
    I love a good egg omlete made with egg beater diced peppers n onions. If you really can't afford that then seperate the yolk from the whites and just use the whites. that will help cut out the bad stuff. Though eggs aren't nearly as bad as they use to be.
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    My breakfast each morning is a protein shake. About 70 grams of protein, 12 grams of carbs and 8 grams of fat.
  • pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    to those eating smoothies...throw a handful of kale or baby spinach in the blender, I SWEAR you won't taste it much and you get the added veggie benefit