Calories and Serving Size of Spanakopita?

Options
The stats on spanakopita - not just here but also on the Daily Plate and Calorie King - are painfully scarce. How big is one piece? And how many calories? I ate a piece about half the size of my palm, and I'm pretty sure it had way more than 180 calories in it -- but I can't find any info to support this. Is spanakopita remarkably low in calories, or are the serving sizes listed online for little tiny pieces? Your help, please.

Thank you!

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    the spanakopita I had was 140 calories for two small triangles. I thought about six of them would have been a serving but six of them would have been 420 calories. Once I finished the package I never bought them again
    too much white flour pasta and cheese and even eating six of them didn't feel very satisfying.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    It would completely depend on how the spanakopita was prepared. How much feta was in it? How much phyllo was used? I make a spanakopita that is about 350 calories for 1 serving (it's a very generous portion size. I normally eat about 50%-75% of a serving). A serving of mine is 2 triangles that are about 6"x3"x1" (length, width, & height at longest spots) each. I use cooking spray instead of butter. Traditional spanakopita uses TONS of butter which can really spike the calorie count.

So, in summary, it really really depends on how it's prepared.
  • sharonlrad
    Options
    I found a spanakopita recipe put out by Epicurean with nutritional info. The recipe is very similar to the spanakopita recipes the Greeks in my region have made for 50 years. I calculated the serving would be a 3" x 3" square, about 4oz. Using this recipe and serving size, it is about 178 calories. It is one of my favorite dishes albeit high in fat.
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mama-Voulas-Spanakopita-354989
  • costascents
    Options
    That sounds like a winner, thanks for sharing.drc
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    its really hard to say. too many variable. the percentage of cheese to spinach, the type of cheese used, the type of pastry used etc etc.

best way is to make it your self so you can control what goes in it. they really arent hard to make.

when i make it is use about 250grams of spinach, 150grams of ricotta and 100 grams of feta (plus some herbs etc that wouldnt make much difference to the overall count. then i use puff pastry instead of phyllo (cos its easier and i cant be assed with pyllo). i also use an egg wash on the pastry.