Calorie burning on MFP

Options
How accurate are the calories burned estimates on MFP? Sometimes I worry they're too generous. When I do Jillian Michaels "Ripped in 30," it says I burn about 300 calories (I call it 30 minutes of circuit training). Is this accurate?

Replies

• am_amn
    am_amn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same concern. It seems too good to be true.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I assumed they are based on the ''average'' person and I never think of myself as average. So I invested in a heart rate monitor and any time I do any cardio I wear it. Turns out for most things it was underestimating - but again, I don't know ''average'' actually means!
  • whit291
    whit291 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The heart rate monitor is a good idea and sounds worthwhile. That might actually be the only way to be truly accurate!
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I bought a heart rate monitor today. I can't wait to see the difference between what MFP logs and what the monitor reads.

Currently I've been logging only half the time I actually exercise because I think when I put the full time in, the calories MFP claims I burn are a lot more than i actually do. Better to be a little safe and underestimate. When my HRM comes though, I can finally figure it all out more accurately.