I'm so sick of no results.

Options
I'm doing everything I'm supposed to. I work out every day, I eat healthy, take proper vitamins for the nutrition that I may be missing, and I'm still GAINING weight.

I've been on this site since the beginning of July and have only lost 7 pounds. 2 of those weeks i've GAINED weight. it just doesn't make sense to me. When I wasn't working out and only eating healthy, I lost weight every week.

Why should I work out if I gain weight? My net calories aren't even high enough to equal out the weight i'm gaining.

it just doesn't make sense to me. I made a mini goal of hitting the 200 mark by September. At the time, it seemed easily possible to do it. But now, i'm 10 pounds away (probably more when I weigh myself again), and it looks impossible.

From all the math/calculations/etc. I should be losing 3+ a week. Not that I expect that much, but I certainly don't expect to gain weight .

Replies

• brooshie
    brooshie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i've even taken progression pictures the 1st of the month since June and I don't see ANY difference (even though apparently i've dropped 22 lbs since June 1st)

it's just obnoxiously discouraging.
  • LinsenNRoses
    LinsenNRoses Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! At first I was losing a lot! I'm down 41 pounds in total and still want to lose 43 more but this past month I only lost 1 pound! I'm exercising and eating 1200-1600 calories and most days netting 800-1300 calories. I look the same as when I was 26 pounds down! It is discouraging. I'm getting muscles but the fat is staying too. I hope you start losing soon and wish I had advice but I'm going through it too :sad:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You have dropped 22lb in 2 months of which 7lb was last month with only 33lb to go at that point? I am not sure what the problem is as nearly 2lb a week is pretty high considering you do not have much to lose. How much of a deficit are you on and how much are you eating? I think you may have too high of an expectation as to weight loss. Also, weight loss is not linear and is affected by water weight and other variables.
  • GrAlVt
    GrAlVt Posts: 42
    Options
    You're only ten pounds from your goal and you find it frustrating you only lost 7 pounds the month before? Seems pretty good to me. Gaining weight or not, 7 pounds lost in a month still averages 1+ pound per week. If you maintained that loss or close to it, you'll be at your goal by October. That's a deal I'd take.

I can't really offer more help without knowing your routine. But put simply, if the numbers say you should be losing 3 pounds a week and you aren't, then your numbers are wrong. It could be you're grossly underestimating the amount you're eating or you throttled your metabolism with low-intake before going to workout. When you first start working out, you'll begin to retain more water, among other things. Besides that, not all weight gained is fat. If you're diligently working out and accidentally ate over your allotted limit, you probably built a bit of muscle in that month. It also wouldn't hurt to make sure you follow your workouts with a good heap of protein.

My best advice is to keep doing what you're doing and be more meticulous about food tracking, make sure you confirm the amounts you're ingesting. You'll have a hard time arguing that working out isn't good for your fitness.
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. If you haven't eaten enough calories to equal your TDEE +3500 calories your weight gain is not fat. It's probably water- especially if you have sore muscles from the recently started exercises. When I started Insanity- I gained 3lbs and I still haven't lost them. Yet I've lost inches all around my body. Also I think the weight youv'e already lost is amazing for the amount of time you've been at it. I've been working on these last 10lbs since February. Also- I hope you dont mind- I peeked at your diary and I dont know how tall you a but thats not a lot of food. I eat more than you do and Im a 5ft tall girl. If you dont eat enough your body will resist losing weight.
  • brooshie
    Options
    i don't mean i've lost 22 of my 32 goal. the goal of 32 lbs was implemented when i joined the site in July. I lost 7 in July, I lost 15 in June. so I'm still 25 away from my goal.
  • brooshie
    Options
    You have dropped 22lb in 2 months of which 7lb was last month with only 33lb to go at that point? I am not sure what the problem is as nearly 2lb a week is pretty high considering you do not have much to lose. How much of a deficit are you on and how much are you eating? I think you may have too high of an expectation as to weight loss. Also, weight loss is not linear and is affected by water weight and other variables.

eating around 1500 a day.
  • brooshie
    Options
    Also- I hope you dont mind- I peeked at your diary and I dont know how tall you a but thats not a lot of food. I eat more than you do and Im a 5ft tall girl. If you dont eat enough your body will resist losing weight.

Sunday is when I start adding brown rice & i'll be juicing every day to add about 500 calories to my meals.

EDIT: i'm 6'1
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    "I lost 7 in July, I lost 15 in June..."

...so, you ARE getting results. 7lbs in a month is actually very good. If it ain't broke...you know the rest.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I see in the post above you are going to be upping your food - which is good as 1500 cals is too low for a guy, especially asall as you are. You are getting a good amount of protein but your fats are really low - I would look to up your intake here (nuts, seeds etc).

If I were you I would set your goal weight loss at 1lb a week and do some resistance training. Eating at a very large deficit can have contra-indicative results for a number of reasons (e.g. no energy so workouts are less intense and so energy output is overestimated, increased water retention etc) that can make the math not work (well, it does work, but not in the way expected).

So, I would suggest being a little easier on your body, giving it more fuel and you will see the results (it may be slower than wanted, but it will be an easier trip to the finish line).
  • brooshie
    Options
    "I lost 7 in July, I lost 15 in June..."

...so, you ARE getting results. 7lbs in a month is actually very good. If it ain't broke...you know the rest.

yes. but i mean, over the past 3 weeks i'd say i've gained weight in 2 of those weeks.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Totals 1,482
    brooshie's Daily Goal 2,300
    Remaining 818
    *You've earned 750 extra calories from exercise today

So this is from Thursday... it looks like your daily goal is set at 1550 and many days you don't meet that so you probably aren't eating enough to workout as well... are you at least meeting your BMR with this goal? A good goal is to be at MINIMUM 100-200 over your BMR since that is the minimum calories required to maintain function of your vital organs. Too many days netting under your BMR will cause your body to attempt to reserve energy it has and slow down your metabolism. This usually happens after a few weeks and will take a few weeks to correct.
    Also, for the last week the remaining calories are typically way too high.. If you workout and burn 750 calories you need to eat some of that back... aim for within 250-500 under your total goal after your workout.. ensure you are still netting at least your BMR (((so if your bmr is for example 1450 and you burn 750 calories working out you should be eating 2200 calories.... with your diary and your goal it will look like 1550:burn 750:goal 2300.. so in this case you want to eat as close to the 2300 as possible and at minimum the 2200 because that's your energy for your vital organs..)))

I really hope all of that makes sense and isn't jumbled.. in short make sure you at least net your BMR (Calories eaten-calories burned>BMR) too many people want to lose weight fast and end up pushing their bodys to function without the energy and nutrition they need.. this may be why you dropped weigh so quickly but have now started to gain weight. Also, make sure you are re figuring your goals as you lose and your BMR gets lower.

Good luck!
  • littlejobo120
    littlejobo120 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You're only ten pounds from your goal and you find it frustrating you only lost 7 pounds the month before? Seems pretty good to me. Gaining weight or not, 7 pounds lost in a month still averages 1+ pound per week. If you maintained that loss or close to it, you'll be at your goal by October. That's a deal I'd take.

I can't really offer more help without knowing your routine. But put simply, if the numbers say you should be losing 3 pounds a week and you aren't, then your numbers are wrong. It could be you're grossly underestimating the amount you're eating or you throttled your metabolism with low-intake before going to workout. When you first start working out, you'll begin to retain more water, among other things. Besides that, not all weight gained is fat. If you're diligently working out and accidentally ate over your allotted limit, you probably built a bit of muscle in that month. It also wouldn't hurt to make sure you follow your workouts with a good heap of protein.

My best advice is to keep doing what you're doing and be more meticulous about food tracking, make sure you confirm the amounts you're ingesting. You'll have a hard time arguing that working out isn't good for your fitness.

^^ THIS!!^^
  • brooshie
    Options
    Totals 1,482
    brooshie's Daily Goal 2,300
    Remaining 818
    *You've earned 750 extra calories from exercise today

So this is from Thursday... it looks like your daily goal is set at 1550 and many days you don't meet that so you probably aren't eating enough to workout as well... are you at least meeting your BMR with this goal? A good goal is to be at MINIMUM 100-200 over your BMR since that is the minimum calories required to maintain function of your vital organs. Too many days netting under your BMR will cause your body to attempt to reserve energy it has and slow down your metabolism. This usually happens after a few weeks and will take a few weeks to correct.
    Also, for the last week the remaining calories are typically way too high.. If you workout and burn 750 calories you need to eat some of that back... aim for within 250-500 under your total goal after your workout.. ensure you are still netting at least your BMR (((so if your bmr is for example 1450 and you burn 750 calories working out you should be eating 2200 calories.... with your diary and your goal it will look like 1550:burn 750:goal 2300.. so in this case you want to eat as close to the 2300 as possible and at minimum the 2200 because that's your energy for your vital organs..)))

I really hope all of that makes sense and isn't jumbled.. in short make sure you at least net your BMR (Calories eaten-calories burned>BMR) too many people want to lose weight fast and end up pushing their bodys to function without the energy and nutrition they need.. this may be why you dropped weigh so quickly but have now started to gain weight. Also, make sure you are re figuring your goals as you lose and your BMR gets lower.

Good luck!

i know, that's why next week i'm going to add calories in by juicing some apples & carrots every day. adding around 400-500 calories. as well as adding in brown rice.

but, at that point, are you saying it'd be more beneficial for me to eat @ my 1500 and NOT work out than eat at my 1500 and work out? if that makes sense. i won't be able to go to the grocery store to get more food until Sunday. Would I be better off just eating @ my 1500 and not work out tomorrow ? I know one day isn't a BIG deal, but i'm talking about in the grand scheme of things.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    one minute here you are one the site since the start of July this is August 4th which makes it just over a month and you are down 7 lbs that is hardly no results Id say you are doing fine 3lbs a week is alot to loose 1-2 lbs is more relistic give yourself a chance that certainly isint no results
  • brooshie
    Options
    one minute here you are one the site since the start of July this is August 4th which makes it just over a month and you are down 7 lbs that is hardly no results Id say you are doing fine 3lbs a week is alot to loose 1-2 lbs is more relistic give yourself a chance that certainly isint no results

Again, I understand this. the post is "i'm so sick of no results" because the last THREE weeks i've GAINED weight. thus no results in the past 3 weeks, and i'm sick of it.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

i know, that's why next week i'm going to add calories in by juicing some apples & carrots every day. adding around 400-500 calories. as well as adding in brown rice.

but, at that point, are you saying it'd be more beneficial for me to eat @ my 1500 and NOT work out than eat at my 1500 and work out? if that makes sense.
    /

As others have pointed out you are most probably not eating enough..... I see you have "friended" helloitsdan on here, so I suspect you have seen his roadmap - suggest you recalculate based on the tools in the roadmap (and then eat to those calories).....

On your question whether you should not exercise - no, no, no - exercise is an important part of a healthy lifestyle - and there is numerous benefits to lifting weights (I hope you are lifting weights and not just doing cardio ;-) ) so eat more, but keep on exercising......

There are other ways to increase calories if the juicing does not give you the desired benefits (apples and carrots will increase your sugars (carbs) quite a bit ..... personally I find adding healthy fats (avocado, nuts, coconut oil, coconut milk etc) a good way to increase calories without having to actually eat a lot more...
  • jacknbox
    jacknbox Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry - what is the problem? ONLY 7lbs????

I've been here since start of July and lost 4.5lbs (1.5 of which was a gain and then loss) - so really just 3lbs!!!

Please try and look at how far you have come so far - you are doing so well - stick at it... and be kinder to yourself..
  • brooshie
    Options
    I'm sorry - what is the problem? ONLY 7lbs????

I've been here since start of July and lost 4.5lbs (1.5 of which was a gain and then loss) - so really just 3lbs!!!

Please try and look at how far you have come so far - you are doing so well - stick at it... and be kinder to yourself..

don't worry i gained 2 lbs this week so it's down to 5.
  • brooshie
    Options

As others have pointed out you are most probably not eating enough..... I see you have "friended" helloitsdan on here, so I suspect you have seen his roadmap - suggest you recalculate based on the tools in the roadmap (and then eat to those calories).....

There are other ways to increase calories if the juicing does not give you the desired benefits (apples and carrots will increase your sugars (carbs) quite a bit ..... personally I find adding healthy fats (avocado, nuts, coconut oil, coconut milk etc) a good way to increase calories without having to actually eat a lot more...

jeez, dan must be a pretty popular guy :P and also, i have some extra carbs to spare for the juice.