About to throw my scales in the bin!

Options
I weigh myself a lot, I know not everyone agrees with this but I like to monitor how much I gain in a day and lose over night, so I am on my scales a fair bit. They measure down to 1/4 pounds so I figure I should be able to see the difference between naked/clothed for instance.

Last night though I weighed with clothes and a then a few minutes later without clothes (and having been to the loo in between!) and my weight was the same. I don't understand how that's possible by the laws of physics!! Then this morning I had to reset the scales and weigh myself again as my bf uses them in kilos which confuses me. In between first and second weigh the numbers had changed when they shouldn't have!

These are ww scales which weren't cheap and I'm now getting worried that the thing I am measuring my progress by is just plain wrong. Argh! Where can I get accurateones? Are analogue ones better than digital?

Replies

• ericgAU
    ericgAU Posts: 271
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are obsessed with weighing yourself. The most I would weigh myself when I lost all my weight was once a week. That's it. There's so many variables that occur on a daily basis that to weigh yourself daily (and by the sounds of things more than daily) is just setting yourself up for failure. Stop putting pressure on yourself. If you are eating properly and exercising adequately then it will take time to reach your goal weight. Good luck.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Do the batteries need changing?
    If you think about it, professional scales are calibrated regularly. Yours aren't.
    I have NO problem with weighing every day, because now it just is a number and if it works for you as a tool, all power to you. But if you think they're going funny, then check batteries, and if that's not it then spend more on a better set.
  • rougenoire
    rougenoire Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are obsessed with weighing yourself. The most I would weigh myself when I lost all my weight was once a week. That's it. There's so many variables that occur on a daily basis that to weigh yourself daily (and by the sounds of things more than daily) is just setting yourself up for failure. Stop putting pressure on yourself. If you are eating properly and exercising adequately then it will take time to reach your goal weight. Good luck.

Thank you for missing the point of my post and judging me.
  • BeckyLH
    BeckyLH Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a WW digital scale too, they're really accurate but I have some issues with them too! The with/without clothes thing I've just learnt to deal with but sometimes if I feel lighter (hope you know what i mean?! Lol) and I haven't lost I do question them. I've found sometimes that the scale shows exactly the same weight as the night before so I put them on a different surface, then back on the original surface and they tend to show my true weight. I always weigh myself on a solid floor too, my scales show 3lbs less on carpet.

Are they the glass ones?
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

what was the point?
  • rougenoire
    Options
    Do the batteries need changing?
    If you think about it, professional scales are calibrated regularly. Yours aren't.
    I have NO problem with weighing every day, because now it just is a number and if it works for you as a tool, all power to you. But if you think they're going funny, then check batteries, and if that's not it then spend more on a better set.

We have had them for less than six months so I would hope the battery could last a bit longer than that but it is a fair point. Having spent about £30 on these I would expect them to be accurate but obviously this isn't being borne out by erratic changing or not changing numbers :(
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    If you're jumping on and off several times a day over 6 months, the battery might need changing though, or yes, pick them up and move them. Don't sweat it too much though
  • helenanj
    helenanj Posts: 13
    Options
    I absolutely agree with Eric!
    I am weighing myself twice a week and think I'm borderline obsessed (fully aware of it, though)

But doing it twice a day? You're going to drive yourself crazy! And won't be any more accurate than if you weighed yourself once a week...

Live a little!
    :)
  • trunkfish
    trunkfish Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you can carry the cost, I would have 2 pairs of scales so you can compare. I've got Salter Digital which work well. I also weigh every day, but don't think I'm obsessed. My weight can go up or down as much as 3lb in one day. I weigh every day because some days I pig out and it helps me have a good day the next day.:happy:
  • rougenoire
    Options

what was the point?

Condensed read: my scales show unexpected and incorrect measurements what do I need to do get accurate ones?
  • rougenoire
    Options
    I am weighing myself twice a week and think I'm borderline obsessed (fully aware of it, though)

But doing it twice a day? You're going to drive yourself crazy! And won't be any more accurate than if you weighed yourself once a week...

Live a little!

Weighing myself once a week on scales that aren't working right isn't going to suddenly make them more accurate!
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    http://thisisnotadiet-itsmylife.com/2012/02/19/making-peace-with-the-scale-why-i-weigh-myself-daily/

If you don't want to weigh everyday, that is your perogative. If you want to eat atkins, hell, I won't judge you. Why do people think their way is the only way? Why can't we weigh every day if we want to? If we can do it without being obsessed then that's our choice. If you can't then that is YOUR choice.

Choice.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Overall, I found mechanical scales to be more accurate than electronic ones.
    The obvious drawback is that the mechanical scale doesn't give you values like body fat % and water weight, but it could be argued that the electronic scale doesn't give accurate values anyway, so what's the point?

I see various options:
    Try changing batteries, but be aware that the scale will never really be 100% accurate (try moving it around the floor of the same room where you use your scale, you'll see)
    Buy a super expensive professional scale that is used by doctors and nutritionists - it costs 1000 $ or more.
    Use a mechanical scale, but keep on mind it also isn't 100% accurate.
    Go to a doctor or special center to get your weight measured professionally

Whatever it is that you decided to do, I suggest trying to measure your weight only 1 - 2 times per week anyway.
  • rougenoire
    Options
    If you can carry the cost, I would have 2 pairs of scales so you can compare. I've got Salter Digital which work well. I also weigh every day, but don't think I'm obsessed. My weight can go up or down as much as 3lb in one day. I weigh every day because some days I pig out and it helps me have a good day the next day.:happy:

I don't think there is anything wrong with weighing yourself whenever you want, if you get upset because you weigh a pound more during the course of the day having drunk one pound in weight in water probably best not to though. Seems like this is not a popular view to some people though :) I like to be aware of what I am putting in to my body and be able to change my actions if they hinder progress

I don't have space for a second set but have compared with ones at the gym which seem to be way out or set for vanity as pretty sure I don't weigh half a stone less at the gym!
  • miss_grad
    miss_grad Posts: 102
    Options
    No one is doing themselves a favor by stepping on the scale everyday. Having been in that "obsessed" state, I've finally learned to chill out. The body takes time to do it's magic -- stepping on the scale several times isn't going to make it happen faster. Unless, of course, you make a cardio exercise out of it ;)

The body fluctuates between 5lbs everyday (due to water, excretion, food in-take etc.). Not to mention, if you aren't staying hydrated, you also may be retaining water-weight.

Among the most accurate ways to measure your progress is using tape measures. Especially if you are exercising. Muscle weighs more than fat. So you might be gaining weight on the scale, but losing inches and getting slimmer.
  • BeckyLH
    BeckyLH Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Live a little!

Weighing myself once a week on scales that aren't working right isn't going to suddenly make them more accurate!
    Read my previous post :)
  • traceyjay1
    Options
    I too weigh myself everyday and I know there are many reasons to argue against doing this but for me personally it works and helps keep me on track. If I have a bad food day it reflects the following day on the scales for me so I know to reign it in. Otherwise believe me I find if very easy to get back into bad habits. My scales can also vary slightly each time I stand on them so I weigh myself several times until I get the same reading twice then I take that.

Although I weigh everyday i do try to take into consideration that other factors can have an influence so I always look back on my chart what I was a week ago and as long as I am less than the previous week then i'm happy.

At the end of the day as long as we feel healthier, clothes are fitting better and the scales are generally down week on week then I try not to get too hung up on any small scale variants :-)

Good luck on your journey! :-)
  • squires03071986
    squires03071986 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I too weigh myself a lot, I can't seem to help it. I have found that even moving them an inch changes the reading. I agree that maybe the batteries need changing and try to put them somwhere that they won't need moving.
  • rougenoire
    Options
    http://thisisnotadiet-itsmylife.com/2012/02/19/making-peace-with-the-scale-why-i-weigh-myself-daily/

If you don't want to weigh everyday, that is your perogative. If you want to eat atkins, hell, I won't judge you. Why do people think their way is the only way? Why can't we weigh every day if we want to? If we can do it without being obsessed then that's our choice. If you can't then that is YOUR choice.

Choice.

Thank you for this link, weighing myself is like the author said a data point. Useful information to track ongoing progress. A habit that is part of and reminds me about my healthier lifestyle.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    While it is honorable that so many people are concerned with the OP's well being, he asked for help figuring out a piece of equipment not for an assessment of his psychological well being based on how many times he weighs himself. Just as we all lose weight at different speeds, we all have different needs and abilities. For example, several people have made it clear they cannot weigh themselves every day because it stresses them out. Luckily, not everybody is the same way. In this case, the analysis of how many times the OP should weigh a day clearly stresses out the OP and is not as helpful as was intended. In fact, one may run the risk of stressing the OP so much that you can create a poor environment for healthful progression. As with all disagreements involving proper weight loss technique all concerned parties should continue to lead by example and provide a supportive environment for change. If the OP needs help deciding how many times to hop on a scale, I am confident that the site's search function can be used as the topic comes up about every two weeks.

I think we should all just move back to the topic on hand. :smile:

I agree with mirandamayhem about checking the batteries. I would also move the scale if it is not on a level, flat floor. Depending on the age of the scale you may want to consider buying a new one. I will comment that I believe my scale says in the instructions that it saves the last weight for a short amount of time and will display that if the current weight is about the same. The idea is that if I forgot what I weighed after hopping of the scale I can pop back on and know. Check the instructions to see if this is the case with yours.