This really gets confusing

Options
... confusing to the point of creating doubt. Doubt that what I am doing is the "right" thing.

Reading a lot of forum posts it sure seems like a very large amount of people are not successful at losing weight, which flies in the face of the posts that it is simply "calories in, calories out" .... then the posts that "you have to exercise"... "have to drink water" ... "watch out for sodium" ... "have to raise metabolism"... "you are in starvation mode"...

AAaaagghhh!! :sad:

Here's what I believe so far

(1) I have to track my food... every bite. I can see where it would be very easy to eat too much unless I track it.

... that's it. That is all I know for sure at this point.

Has anyone ever broke all of this down to simple instructions that work for nearly all people??

It does get frustrating to go through the hunger and change nearly everything I am doing and not see a weight loss... even half a pound would be very encouraging.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Patience . . . . your body has alot to get used to before it lets go. You're doing everything right. It WILL happen.

Eat more fruits and veggies at your meals and it will help the hunger. Water anytime you feel hungry too.

Hungry for a new life? I am. Sometimes I enjoy being a little hungry. But usually I eat something.

Two things that will rev it up more, increase the frequency of exercise (twice a day instead of once) and the length by a few minutes as you build up to it. Steady and slow.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that people over-complicate their plan and are far too restrictive.

You need to create a sustainable energy deficit. This is a necessity.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I could never succeed at weight loss until I stopped putting expectations on it (and myself). I used to have a horrible time of it, thinking I needed to lose faster, or a certain amount, or that it was even up to me. This time around, I said to myself, "No timelines, no strict rules. If I just eat like I would if I were already healthy, then I'll eventually lose weight. It can't not happen." And it started dropping off faster than it ever had when I'd tried to force it. So now, even when I have ups and downs (and I've had some big ups and downs) it doesn't discourage me. I know it's not permanent and I know that making mistakes has virtually nothing to do with long-term success.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Unfortunately, NOTHING works for all people....except perhaps the tracking it thing. :)

I do believe there are things everyone needs to watch, especially sugars and sodium. Sugar is not a trigger for everyone like it is for me, but it is still empty calories, and there is a lot of research to suggest it does lots of bad things to our bodies....inside, and out.

Sodium is something we need to be aware of because it is EVERYWHERE! From broccoli to highly processed foods. Obviously more-so in the processed foods. Again, it does really bad things, inside and out. You develope high blood pressure, or have a stroke. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing that ahead of time. I do believe genetics play a part in it, as in all things....but I don't want to take the risk that I'm the exception to the rule. Besides, after breaking the habit, I find I enjoy foods with less sodium. You actually taste the food...not the sodium.

Vegetables help fill up everyone I know. And if they are brave, and try different veggies, prepared different ways, they will eventually find vegetables they LOVE! I think a lot of us were turned off on veggies by the mushy ones our moms used to serve. lol

Clean, whole foods, while perhaps not the path everyone will follow, will work for everyone. That I firmly believe. If you are eating mostly lean meats, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, you will feel better, and probably lose weight. They aren't as inconvenient as some people think. When I think back to all the time I wasted sitting in a drive-thru line, are waiting for my food in a restaurant, that's a whole lotta meals I could have prepared at home!

You are doing a fantastic job! Day by day you are learning what works for YOU! And really, that's all that matters.

Sorry, as usual, I rambled. :blushing:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    My opinion is to keep it simple.

Eat enough, not too much, not too little

Move more and find something you enjoy

Period. It work until the last few pounds.

Then those last 10 are a ***** but at least usually people are at a healthy weight
  • EliTheRev
    EliTheRev Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    In my opinions weight loss and fitness communities actually make things harder for people. There is too much conflicting information, then there are the people that think they know everything about weight loss, then there are the fitness nuts who are already in near perfect shape just here to showcase themselves and lecture others, then there is all of this endless "you should do this, you shouldn't do that, thats bad for you, thats good for you back and forth". I don't participate in communities like this - or any communities really for that reason.

EVERYONES body is different. What works for someone is not going to necessarily work for you. You have all different kinds of factors that make up who you are, how you got here, and why your body responds the way it does etc. I have PCOS which really messes up your metabolism so one day is different from the next for me. No advice anyone ever gave me worked for me including what doctors have told me to do. I had to learn about my own body and what does and doesn't work for me. Keep logs, mood journals, do my measurements, and really see what works and doesn't FOR ME.

I'm not going to give you any advice but this ... stop reading the forums.
  • _Mimi_
    Options
    My thoughts are that people over-complicate their plan and are far too restrictive.

As always, short, to the point, and dead on! Will you teach me how to do that? I seem to need to write a novel...see? I'm doing it again. lol
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

This. Just follow the guidelines of this sight. You can't fail if you do that....if you're honest in logging your food, measuring and counting accurately. Develop good habits that you'll keep the rest of your life. And lift weights.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Very confusing! I've been trying to figure out how many calories I should be eating per day. I've looked at half a dozen online calculators, talked to my doc, read books....they all say something different. BMR, TDEE, BF, cardio (how many minutes? at what intensity? target heart rate?), weights (how heavy? how many sets? how many reps?), etc etc etc....I get a little OCD with the numbers, but I have to fight that tendency and realize that as long as I'm eating lean proteins, vegs, fruits, avoiding super processed carbs and sugar, and watch portion sizes, my total calories stay in the same area + or - 200 here and there. I do have to force myself to exercise (I'm lazy), but I'm getting pretty consistent with that. All I know is that as long as the scale continues to go down, I'm happy. Of course I still have a lot to lose, so things will get even more confusing when I'm closer to goal and still trying to figure this all out! Oy!
  • desilu69
    desilu69 Posts: 79
    Options
    Good luck in your journey.. And never give up. You are so right, TRACKING EVERY BITE IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS and as one of the above posters said, exercise AND drink your water. There are so many conflicting ideas on MFP on how you should eat... some say eat your exercise cals, some say do not eat your exercise cals. Me, I go to a nutrution site that I trust and get my answers. I do come to forums and get ideas but if I am conflicted on something, I check with advice from my favorite fitness magazine. Again, good luck to you and if you need a friend for support, feel free to add me :smile:
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options

As always, short, to the point, and dead on! Will you teach me how to do that? I seem to need to write a novel...see? I'm doing it again. lol

I agree that this is correct. I think the OP's point was how do you know what a sustainable energy deficit is? OP, you need to figure out your BMR, TDEE, and TDEE - cut (most use 15%). You can find that out here. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've lost 27 pounds in less than one month using "calories in, calories out." I think some of the people that aren't losing are either underestimating their calories, or overestimating their burns.
  • _Mimi_
    Options

<snip in interest of space>I'm not going to give you any advice but this ... stop reading the forums.
    ummmm, talk about confusing...you're here and posting....so, I'm confused.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    here is what I believe so far ...

*track everything (even if it looks bad) AND track before you eat if possible unless its right away in the morning.

*decide what meal is most important for you, and thats where you put your calories. I love my dinners, so I save my
    calories throughout the day for that meal and I plan ahead alot.

*quit drinking pop if you drink it (last night I had one because the water at the restaurant was disgusting, but, I know
    its not going to kill me once in a while).

*drink drink drink water even if you aren't thirsty, they say aim for 8 glasses of WATER I say aim for 12. skip the juice and don't waste your calories on drinking. learn to love water.

*if you are hungry for steak, eat steak, but within your calories etc. (i recently bought a food scale, because I didn't know the different between a 4 ounce steak and a 8 ounce streak) :ohwell:

*watch sodium. for some people sodium isn't a big thing, for me it makes me a gain a pound or 2 overnight, yes,
    it is just water weight, and I lose it within the next day or 2 IF I drink lots and lots of water.

*I don't eat things I don't like just because they are good for you, If I dont like what I am eating, I won't do this for my lifetime.

*go walking or do some sort of exercise everyday.

*a lot of people say don't do it, but I weight myself everyday, just because it tells me where I am sitting and if I should watch what I eat for the day more careful. (mostly sodium). see what works for you.

*if you want a treat (icecream) or whatever it is you like, measure it and log it BEFORE you think about eating it. see where you sit with your sugars.(also, add sodium and sugars on if you don't already track them)

*people say eat back your workout calories, I personally don't. once again, see what works for you. they are there if and when I do need them tho.

*if you are constantly hungry, grab some nuts and a bottle of water, see if that helps the hunger. remember, once your stomach starts shrinking, these hungry pains will start to go away.

*try to keep chips or cookies or whatever your cravings are out of the house if possible.

*buy a fitbit tracker if you can afford one, that way, you know how many more steps you should be aiming for in the day. try to up your amounts everyday.

thats about all :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    An appropriate calorie deficit for the amount you have to lose. IE, don't try to lose 2 pounds a week when you're only 5 pounds from goal.

Most of your food should be close to the form in which it's found in nature. IE, chicken breast vs chicken nuggets that more closely resemble the texture of medium density fiberboard, or a nice hunk of sharp cheddar vs a cheese-food from a spray can.

Get some form of exercise that you enjoy at least 4 days a week. And even if you don't enjoy it, strength training rocks.

Track your progress in multiple ways. In addition to the bastardly scale, go by measurements, how clothes fit, and take progress photos at regular intervals.

Also good to have some fitness goals, whether it's aiming to be able to run a 5k or lifting a certain amount or just getting to the gym ___ times a month.
  • Woodmangler
    Woodmangler Posts: 96 Member
    Options

<snip in interest of space>I'm not going to give you any advice but this ... stop reading the forums.
    ummmm, talk about confusing...you're here and posting....so, I'm confused.

Teach me how to eat and lose weight, and I will teach you how to ignore forum posts :laugh:
  • Woodmangler
    Options
    An appropriate calorie deficit for the amount you have to lose. IE, don't try to lose 2 pounds a week when you're only 5 pounds from goal.

Most of your food should be close to the form in which it's found in nature. IE, chicken breast vs chicken nuggets that more closely resemble the texture of medium density fiberboard, or a nice hunk of sharp cheddar vs a cheese-food from a spray can.

Get some form of exercise that you enjoy at least 4 days a week. And even if you don't enjoy it, strength training rocks.

Track your progress in multiple ways. In addition to the bastardly scale, go by measurements, how clothes fit, and take progress photos at regular intervals.

Also good to have some fitness goals, whether it's aiming to be able to run a 5k or lifting a certain amount or just getting to the gym ___ times a month.

OK.. gonna measure and track that today... I feel like if I just keep making changes that head me in the right direction I may actually have a prayer of losing this weight... thanks
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Doubt that what I am doing is the "right" thing.
    Do not doubt yourself or the process. Track everything and stay disciplined. Don't allow yourself to become overwhelmed with the volume of "tips" coming at you. Try to keep it simple. Track your calories, you'll learn a lot about the calories of various foods simply by tracking.

Again, don't doubt yourself. This site is filled with people that have made significant lifestyle changes fueled by shear determination and strong self discipline. That determination and desire for change is far more powerful than any one of the hundreds of "tips" that you will read on this site.
  • Woodmangler
    Options
    I've lost 27 pounds in less than one month using "calories in, calories out." I think some of the people that aren't losing are either underestimating their calories, or overestimating their burns.

This is kind of what I am talking about. If you are following this site's plan then you should have lost about 8 pounds in a month, not 27.

I can't imagine losing nearly a pound a day and sustaining that for any length of time at all.... and would probably not learn anything at all about a sustainable lifestyle doing that... I did an all liquid diet for 2 months once.. lost a pound a day for 60 days, and drove past a McDonalds and gained 10 of it back.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    In my opinions weight loss and fitness communities actually make things harder for people. There is too much conflicting information, then there are the people that think they know everything about weight loss, then there are the fitness nuts who are already in near perfect shape just here to showcase themselves and lecture others, then there is all of this endless "you should do this, you shouldn't do that, thats bad for you, thats good for you back and forth". I don't participate in communities like this - or any communities really for that reason.

EVERYONES body is different. What works for someone is not going to necessarily work for you. You have all different kinds of factors that make up who you are, how you got here, and why your body responds the way it does etc. I have PCOS which really messes up your metabolism so one day is different from the next for me. No advice anyone ever gave me worked for me including what doctors have told me to do. I had to learn about my own body and what does and doesn't work for me. Keep logs, mood journals, do my measurements, and really see what works and doesn't FOR ME.

^^^^THIS!^^^
    I have PCOS too and it really frustrates me when I hear people saying things like oh carbs don't matter, and it's all just calories in and calories out, and all these other things. If I went by that advice I would be gaining weight in my situation. I wish it was that simple for all of us, but everybody is different and has different needs and I think you just have to go by trial and error for yourself to see what works.