visiting uk, need help!

Options
I'm going to the UK soon, and I need some help determining what some good food choices would be for me.

I'm trying to steer away from fat and sugar, I'm okay to eat carbs although I mainly want protein, fruits and veg. This is just for personal illness issues, I know most people need a balance of these things, but basically I have to eat like a diabetic with high cholesterol.

There don't seem to be many food chains in the UK, so having nutritional info isn't always a given.

So far, I've determined a few things I can eat at Yo Sushi and Nanos.

I'm thinking of eating vegan at times and talking to the servers/chefs. Any other ideas?

I'll have lots of salads with dressing on the side. But any other tips and ideas?

Replies

• claireplum
    claireplum Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi,

There are plenty of chain restaurants over here who supply a variety of food. Pretty much anything you want you can get. In additon to this, the majority of places now state the calorie content on their menus so this will give you the heads up before you order. Also if you are eating at a restaurant pretty much everything comes with vegetables anyway.

I wouldn't stress about it...when you arrive you will notice that healthy food and variety is easy to source!

Where abouts are you visiting?
  • JoATurnbull
    JoATurnbull Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi from the UK
    I don't know if this is the sort of info you're looking for but I'll give it a go.
    For lunch time snacks and sandwiches etc. try 'Marks and Spencers' food hall or 'Pret a Manger'. Both do a good range of healthy options.
    In the evening you could try the 'Harvester' Restaurant chain. They do the usual fish steaks and chicken, but they have a serve yourself salad bar. Everything is cooked to order, so I'm sure they could accommodate your dietary needs.
    Hope you have a good time here despite our awful weather this summer.LOL
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    It all depends on where you're headed before we can advise, but there are some websites that will help suggest more vegan/vegetarian places. I never really have a problem eating out though.
  • altygirl
    altygirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm envious! I'm English but live in the US now. The other poster (my maiden name was Turnbull) is right - M&S do great sandwiches and you'll find lighter options in many places. Have a great trip!
  • d4wn66
    d4wn66 Posts: 48
    Options
    Hi I'm from England now living in Australia , and I agree with Claireplum totally but if you was to fall off the wagon, ( which f course I wouldnt encourage but if you did you have got to try , , steak and kidney pudding , chips peas and Gravey, or Fish ,chips , curry sauce , mushy peas and a muffin or Hollands meat and potatoe pie from a chippy or meat and potatoe pastie from Greg's .

I'm sorry I'm not being very helpful am I but your post made me very Nostalgic for good old Blighty Food.

Have a great trip x
  • claireplum
    claireplum Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm from England now living in Australia , and I agree with Claireplum totally but if you was to fall off the wagon, ( which f course I wouldnt encourage but if you did you have got to try , , steak and kidney pudding , chips peas and Gravey, or Fish ,chips , curry sauce , mushy peas and a muffin or Hollands meat and potatoe pie from a chippy or meat and potatoe pastie from Greg's .

I'm sorry I'm not being very helpful am I but your post made me very Nostalgic for good old Blighty Food.

Have a great trip x

Mmmm fish and chips! If only there was a lighter option! I would deffo suggest to the OP that you have one meal where you do not log and you try some fish and chips! It is a 'national dish'...and tastes INCREDIBLE! (vegetarian option: Chips and a pea fritter/pickled onion)
  • d4wn66
    d4wn66 Posts: 48
    Options
    We crave these foods so much , lol I'm not a whinging Pom but so miss the chipped lol:love:
  • sarah5423
    sarah5423 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm living in Australia to but from the UK, there are plenty of options for food on the go, as mentioned marks and spencer, they gave a great range with all nutritional info, same with the supermarkets, tesco, asda, sainsburys etc I don't think you'll struggle too much and also if the nutritional info isn't available it's always worth asking, most places are very accommodating.
    Oh how I miss Greg's pasties and baguettes, bagel man in Brighton, real fish and chips, oh and great tasting Chinese food! Mmm just made myself hungry :-)
  • altygirl
    altygirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, Greggs.
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    I agree with JoA.. marks and spencers are really good, they do a 'fuller for longer' range which is great. Also Boots do a really good range of snacks which are all low cal and low carbs! Most 'pub' type food over here comes with either chips or salad, so as long as you opt for the salad option you should be fine! Where are you visiting? Hope the weather improves for you!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Hi,

There are plenty of chain restaurants over here who supply a variety of food. Pretty much anything you want you can get. In additon to this, the majority of places now state the calorie content on their menus so this will give you the heads up before you order. Also if you are eating at a restaurant pretty much everything comes with vegetables anyway.

I wouldn't stress about it...when you arrive you will notice that healthy food and variety is easy to source!

Where abouts are you visiting?

Also, portion sizes are a lot smaller in the UK. If you go out to eat then just ask for more veggies. No fries. I don`t find this a problem when I go out to dinner, they usually oblige.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a chain, you might be able to find something you can eat at Wagamama's (vaguely Japanese) or Nando's (vaguely Portuguese chicken, I think). Or for lunches, Bagel Nash or Pret a Manger. I'm sure there are lots more, but those are the ones which spring to mind. Just remembered Italian chains - Zizzi's, Ask, etc. - there might be something there.

I hope you have a lovely visit!
  • laurenboyer1
    laurenboyer1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Pizza express also do a range of pizza's which are all under 500 calories.
  • DavidCHobby
    Options
    1. Have fun! I go to London and various parts of the UK every year and LOVE it.

2. Eat ethnic - in London there are tons and tons of choices. No worries.

3. The ubiquitous Tesco Express has lot of sandwich options, including lots of healthy/veggie options, with all calories listed on the sandwiches. You can even sub out fruit for chips in the very economical lunch combos. (Like, 2 pounds 50 for a full lunch.)

4. The Tesco Expresses are just about everywhere in the UK, not just major areas. Think 7-11.

5. If you have a FitBit or something (awesome, web-enabled pedometer) you will realize just how much you are walking, which almost (but not quite) gives you carte blanche on the eating. I was averaging 20k steps a day in London. Pretty hard to overeat unless you try...

6. If your lodging is not yet set in London, expect to pay thru the nose. One good option (assuming you are gonna miss the Olympics crowd) is AirBnB, a great web-based service for lining up apartments/bedrooms anywhere in the world. We paid UDS$280 for a 2-bed, sleeps-4 apartment with kitchen and fast wi-fi, three mins from Oxford Circus tube station. Highly recommended, no matter what your price point. Absolutely kills in value as compared to hotels.

Have a great trip!
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Reading this has made me want a Nandos...wonder if I can convince my boyfriend of that tomorrow..

Most places will be really helpful, and a lot of places have started putting calories on menus as well recently (Frankie and Bennies do for their 'lighter options' and you can get Wetherspoons, typical pub grub, info too, but I'd avoid their food!)

For lunches boots and M&S are my go to places, especially the boots 'shapers' range, they do a lovely less than 500 cal meal deal which I'm sightly addicted to!

Where about are you going to, may be able to suggest some local places if I know that area x
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK and currently living in NZ - yay for British food!

Sounds like you're talking about places to eat out rather than in but I honestly don't think you will have a problem. Portion sizes are much more conservative than the US, which is also a bonus.

If you want protein and veggies and a good old fashioned British 'roast' - Toby Carvery is inexpensive and can be as healthy as you make it (it's buffet style) and is a chain throughout the UK. Same with Wetherspoons pubs - they have all their nutritional information online, and have switched to using wholegrain pasta etc so it's much healthier than previously.

Marks and Spencers, Boots 'count on us' range and all supermarkets have sandwiches and lunchtime foods to take away which are all savvy with nutritional information.

Most 'chains' now have nutrition information on their website, so depending what area you're going to I'd have a look on google for restaurants in that area and go from there. If in doubt, always ask the waitress and I'm pretty sure most places will be happy to accommodate your requests.

Enjoy your trip - I'm soooooo jealous!
  • tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Most supermarkets have a salad bar in or near the cold meat section.

All pubs and resturants are happy to do extra veg or salad even if the menu doesn't state

i have a friend who is allergic to potatoes and most places that will happily add different veg to her plate or do roasted sweet potato for her

Good luck and enjoy your visit
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump - I'm visiting next month and will use these ideas too. :smile:
  • DavidCHobby
    Options
    For those interested, here is the apartment we rented in June w/AirBnB. It was perfect for us:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/244626
  • aulove
    aulove Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm visiting London in December, so I appreciate the tips, too.