It's more about the food than the exercise

Options
SherryTeach
SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
I just read a very important article in the New York Times regarding why many people who exercise a lot are still overweight:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/dieting-vs-exercise-for-weight-loss/?src=rechp

As many of us have discovered, it really is mostly about the food. Actually, it takes a lot of pressure off me to accept that I don't have to turn into a marathon runner or gym rat to be healthy and fit. I can just move moderately like a hunter/gatherer from Tanzania.

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    It works either way. I got to goal doing the eat right sedentary thing. I started exercising allot more and look a hell of a lot better now. Not to mention all my exercising junk food eating friends who are ripped and the fact I can eat a lot more and lose weight.

And I'm going to say something that pees people off but Im going to finish the sentence to make everyone feel better.

Muscle weighs more then fat...when you use the same volume. And it feels a whole lot better too.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Well it won't be the first time that I disagreed with the NY Times. What's the point of being thin if you aren't fit?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I did note that those tribesmen walked 7 miles a day. . . that seems pretty fit to me, way fitter than most people who spend their time in front of screens all their waking hours. And they have to bend over to pick up all that food they gathered.

I do believe that fitness is important to good health. But 1) I don't have to quit my job and work out several hours a day to maintain a healthful level of fitness and 2) losing weight is still mostly a matter of what you eat.