hidden veggie recipes?

Options
MissySho
MissySho Posts: 126 Member
I have a small challenge. My sons hate eating veggies, raw or cooked. Does anyone have any good recipes with hidden veggies in them? I have been able to hide carrots and sometimes zucchini in sloppy joes, and i use onions and peppers in just about everything. But I need some other creative ways to hide a more variety of veggies.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies

• MissySho
    Options
    We eat alot of ground turkey....so if you have anything with ground turkey it would help too.
  • lepperlauren
    Options
    Jerry Seinfeld's wife (I forget her name, but if you google it, you'll find it) has a book called "deceptively delicious". The whole book is ideas for hiding food. And once you get started, you will find yourself trying all kids of things!
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I puree all kinds of veggies and add to my spaghetti sauces. I also shred spinach and add to meatballs/meatloaf. Its not terribly obvious either usually. I have also been known to puree things like beets and add them to blueberry applesauce etc etc. Or carrots with applesauce and so on.
  • michknd
    michknd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I puree spinach & hide it in all kinds of things, chili is one of our favorites, it looks green at first but once it cooks down with the tomatoes & chili powder, it turns a normal chili color. I agree with the comment on Jessica Seinfeld's book as well. I have the first one & have made several of the things in there. Chocolate chip cookies with chick peas(garbanzo beans) in them, so good & they act like a nut in the cookie.
  • MaggieMystD
    MaggieMystD Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I found veggie flakes and I like to add it to dips, to meatloaf, etc. Its an easy way to find veggies. My boys aren't bothered by the flakes and are somewhat picky about veggies too.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    What about the cauliflower crust pizza? Grind up a bit of broc in with that, throw some cheese on top, maybe some pepperoni or something and they may never know........bwahahahahaha..

The pizza is good too. I ate it three times last week. It was a big cauliflower.
  • fitmum2be
    fitmum2be Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do vege sauces with tinned tomatoes, vegetables and process them till a sauce consistency then put it with whole grain pasta, meat and more veg then if the kids don't eat their veg they will have already eaten it in the sauce hahahaha.
    I've put puréed pumpkin in mac n cheese before as well and in lite alfredo.
    My partner was shocked as just the other week he learned In the beef meatballs he so loves I add finely diced mushrooms, grated carrot & beets mwahaha shows it can even work on partners not just the kids hahaha.
  • fitmum2be
    fitmum2be Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What about the cauliflower crust pizza? Grind up a bit of broc in with that, throw some cheese on top, maybe some pepperoni or something and they may never know........bwahahahahaha..

The pizza is good too. I ate it three times last week. It was a big cauliflower.

ooooh do you have a recipe for this??
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I chop and purée a ton of vegetables into sauces. Now that I'm cooking for older kids I dont have to hide the veggies so much but I still add them to just about everything.
  • bethieannie
    bethieannie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    boiled carrots mashed in your tomato soup! I started doing it a couple of months ago and my kids didn't notice until I didn't get them smooth one time, and by then they didn't care!
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    I puree all kinds of veggies and add to my spaghetti sauces.

^^This! Except I don't puree them, I just grate them. My spaghetti sauce usually contains a package of frozen spinach, onion, bell pepper, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, and squash. My teenage daughters, who are very picky, and one of whom refuses to eat squash, mushrooms, or onions, both love it--even knowing what's in it! Plus, between that and the fact that I use ground turkey, and crushed tomatoes instead of tomato sauce, it's less than 200 calories for two cups of sauce! Win!
  • wendysue1960
    Options
    Hi I am a vegetarian, so vegies are my game. U mite try when u make ur fruit smoothies, add some spinach, and kale. Blend them up real good, ul never know their there. : )
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options

ooooh do you have a recipe for this??

Here you go!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/291632-cauliflower-pizza-crust?hl=cauliflower+pizza

btw I snuck veggies like kabucha into things like scrambled eggs and on nachos and my husband never realized it. Heheheheh...
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I shred carrots and zucchini and put in my ground turkey meatloaf.
  • MissySho
    Options
    wow....thanks for so many ideas....you guys are great. if any other ideas or recipes come to mind please don't hesitate to post.

Thanks again
  • kaybelmore
    kaybelmore Posts: 124
    Options
    Beet cake yummers and full of vitamins...for a cake anyway teehee

http://joythebaker.com/2012/01/chocolate-beet-cake-with-beet-cream-cheese-frosting/
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That beet cake looks awesome. I want to make it, but my 6 yr old thinks that the chocolate will ruin the cake. She doesn't like chocolate :laugh: but likes beets.

The 'sneaky chef' and 'deceptively delicios' are both good oops for increasing veggies. They generally say to steam you fruits or veggies, and then purée it.
  • kaybelmore
    kaybelmore Posts: 124
    Options
    That beet cake looks awesome. I want to make it, but my 6 yr old thinks that the chocolate will ruin the cake. She doesn't like chocolate :laugh: but likes beets.

The 'sneaky chef' and 'deceptively delicios' are both good oops for increasing veggies. They generally say to steam you fruits or veggies, and then purée it.

Your 6 year old sounds ADORABLE!! I think you could sup a fruity flavor for the chocolate. Fresh raspberries would work yum yum
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Deceptively Delicious is a great book by Jerry Seinfelds wife and it shoes you how to get vegetables into just about anything.