I can't help but wonder...

Options
Is it the pills or is it me?

I recently sought help at a place called Calorie Counters. My sister had been going there, and according to her, she's lost 7 lbs in 3-4 months... that didn't seem a lot to me, but then she explained she hadn't been sticking to the diet prescribed by the doctor at Calorie Counters. However she swore by it, and my father offered to pay for the office visits and the meds. How can I turn that down, right? The help of a professional, plus my sister swears by it - - - for free. So, I go. I weigh in at a humiliating 278.8 lbs. Upon arriving home, I weigh myself on my own scale, just to see what differences there may have been. Believe it or not, there were non, and I got on both scales at least twice. Alright, so the scales match, I weighed myself today and since my visit to the CC, I've lost a little over six pounds. I started going to CC on Oct. 9th. Does that seem right? Is it because of the meds, which by the way are called Phentermine, or is it the choices I've made of eating 1,200 calories per day? It would seem to me, that if I had the help of meds, that are SUPPOSED to make me want to get up and move, I would have lost a bit more. However when I take them, I actually feel sleepy. Am I burning up calories when I sleep...I don't think so. Now I'm debating with myself of weather of not I want to continue with my meds. I don't like pills. Any kind. I avoid them at all costs. Headaches run their course, as do fevers (unless they get too high), body aches, and any other ailments. I HATE PILLS!

I suppose the real question is this, have any of you taken the drug Phentermine, and if so, what were your reactions to it? I know every one is different, so I expect different responses, I just want to know what different types of reactions you have had upon taking this drug. Thanks for any and all responses. You guys are the best!!

ALC

178464.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• jsignorino3
    Options
    I've never taken the drug, but I wouldn't recommend it. There are tons of people on this site that have lost over a hundred pounds just following the 1200 calories. When you are sleeping, you are not burning as many calories. The best advice I can give is to follow the 1200 calories and add exercise in a few times a week...even if it is just walking. Get rid of the pills and when you do lose more weight than your sister, you can swear by this site.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Well, fatigue is listed as a side effect but more commonly people feel hyper on this. Probably best to discuss any side effects with the doctor.
    I suppose as long as you're being medically monitored and follow a diet and exercise regime at the same time it's ok, but in the long run it's not a good idea to rely on pills. Good for you for considering your options. :flowerforyou:
    Try different exercises until you find one you like; walking or swimming are good ones to start with as they put less strain on your joints.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My doctor put me on phentermine at 140 lbs. I lost 28 lbs. and its hard on your liver so you are only supposed to take it for 3 months at a time. As soon as I quit taking it I gained every last pound back. I think it affects the hormones that suppress your appetite and then your body doesn't make that hormone as efficiently when you quit taking it... just my experience.
  • dartboarddiva
    dartboarddiva Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Six pounds in two weeks is great ... but you can do that on a 1200 calorie diet without the pills. If they are making you feel tired, that seems counterproductive. Good luck on whatever you decide. I agree this site is the best motivation I have found. Spend some time on the message boards. It really helps!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would ditch the meds. I've lost 22 pounds since September 8th. I started at 270. I've just been eating an average of 1300 or so calories/day and exercising a non-excessive amount. I'm not insanely strict with my diet. I've had alcohol, fast food, and have eaten at restaurants over the last 6 weeks. This was a lifestyle change for me. Are you going to take that medication for the rest of your life?
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I don't like pills at all. You can lose weight without them. I wonder if you are eating enoughj protein for sustained energy. Also drinking water helps overcome tiredness (an amazing thing) Instead of coffee, drink a glass of water. Yes you do burn minimal calories sleeping. It's good to walk around when tired. Also spinich has lots of iron, so eat a huge spinich salad each day. I put 1 cup rinsed canned beans on the spinich. Use sea salt fo reduce water retention. Hang in there!
    :smile: :wink: :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The reason for the weight loss is the reduction of calories. The pills might make it easier to reduce calories, but that's probably all they're doing.

Any medicine has the potential of side effects. I would say ditch the meds, and continue with healthier eating and exercise.

Look at the fine print for any "weight loss supplement" ad and you see "when combined with diet and exercise." I would contend that the diet and exercise is what's driving the weight loss, not the pill. Also, diet and exercise don't tax your liver.

:flowerforyou:
  • TheWayIUsed2Be
    Options
    My sister who has health problems and gaines alot of weight was given those pills by her doctor. They help reduce appetite alot. I used to go to a buffet with her (we live in vegas) and she wouldnt even eat a 1/3 of what she used to because she just wasnt hungry. To be honest I thought about going to the doc and getting on those same pills.