Cleaning as Exercise?

Options
12346»

Replies

• shierrarobin
    Options
    I understand why you would be skeptical. I don't usually count it as exercise. I have a weekly routine. I'll do my Boot Camp workout followed by 15 minutes of Pilates body sculpting on one day, then skip the next day. Then do it the day after and skip the next day and so on. I do it that way so I don't wear my muscles out too much. On the days I don't do my exercise videos is the day I clean.

It doesn't wear me out as badly as my workouts, but I still fell pretty worn out afterward. I spent 3 and a half hours cleaning last week and I felt like a rock the rest of the day. That cleaning session included washing dishes, cleaning the kitchen table and counters, cleaning the stove, and sweeping and mopping the kitchen floor followed by cleaning and sweeping the living room, cleaning the toilet, bathroom sink, scrubbing the bathtub, and giving my bedroom a good cleaning and vacuuming. After that, I cleaned all three of our litter boxes and cleaned my fish's tank.

That may not seem like much compared to weight training and running on the treadmill, but cleaning house can get you pretty sweaty and worn out, especially when you live with 2 roommates who absolutely refuse to clean up after themselves. I'm gonna be doing another 3-hour cleaning session tomorrow. -_-
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    If I'm cleaning my home then I don't log it. If I'm cleaning someone else's home then I do, I clean for a living. What I do at home is not as much as I do for work.
  • EffaJane
    EffaJane Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    yes I think it should be put down as exercise...example:how many times I go up and down the steps to washer/dryer..each day!!!

it should count on here!!!or other exercise around the house..and SHOPPING....if you park far away..and walk all day..which
    I don't do that very often..maybe once a year..anyway....other things should be able to be posted as exercise..( : AGREE with you!
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The definition of exercise states "to put thru exercises or forms of practice or exertion, designed to train, develop, condition or the like"

I don't see cleaning as exerscise, I count it within my daily activity level along with my job etc.

If I push thru my heels each time I get out of a chair, can I count those as squats for the day? :noway: No lol
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    If your daily calorie allotment is calculated based on a sedentary job, then I would count it because you're actually using up calories that haven't been factored in. I trust that most people can determine when to count cleaning, or household chores, and when not to.
  • beatnik236
    beatnik236 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    No I do not count it as exercise.
  • langstonmom
    langstonmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I say you get it in where you can fit it in. Including doing laundry and washing dishes, as long as your heart is pumping and you still push past your limit (try carrying a massive linen load from the basement to the second floor and then run back down for more) it counts.