Fitbit vs. HRM

Options
My HRM is on the outs and my DH has graciously used his birthday gift cards to Amazon.com to purchase a Fitbit for me. While I LOVE the concept of the Fitbit and that it syncs with MFP and RunKeeper, I'm concerned that since it does not track heart rate, I won't get as accurate a count on calorie burn during workouts as I get with my HRM.

Anyone who has used both...what do you think? prefer? Why?

Thanks!!

Replies

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tlblood
    Options
    Anyone?
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is a pedometer. Unless your workouts are limited to walking, you are going to want the hrm. The only thing they have in common is they both provide a very rough calorie burn estimate. Don't put a lot of faith in either.
  • tlblood
    Options
    Any other input from people that have used both??
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Give it some time. Not everyone is spending their Saturday on this site........at least I hope not.
  • Scully0007
    Scully0007 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Fitbit yesterday and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. I did a lot or reasearch, $100 seemed like a lot of money to me for a "pedometer", but I think it's much more than that. By wearing it on your body when you work out it should be able to give you an accurate number for calories burned. The Fitbit Ultra can determine when you're going up & down stairs or running up-hill too.

The reason I settled on the Fitbit is because I wanted to know how many calories I was burning in everyday activity - like going to the amusment park with the family AND during exercising. It seems the HRM is more exercise orientated.

You can be a good test case, do some of the same activities you've done in the past with the HRM and compare the results.
  • Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    I had the same decision to make last month. I ended up getting a polar hrm.

The fitbit is great if you want to know how man cals you are burning in the whole day and how well you are sleeping. But if you are primarily concerned with calories burned during a workout, then he hrm with a chest strap will be more accurate (although nothing is perfect). For me, it was the latter, so I got the hrm.