Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How healthy is turkey bacon??

Husband is unwillingly making this healthy change with me... He keeps asking about bacon. I need help!!

Replies

• gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    No healthier than normal bacon, it's just lower fat.
  • I figured that. Thank you!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    You can still have bacon, turkey or otherwise. Two slices of bacon is typically under 100 calories.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, bacon.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    There are no such things as healthy or unhealthy foods (considering they have no contaminants or high amounts of artificial trans-fats)... Thinking in these terms takes away from focus on correct portion sizes. Anyone can fit a slice of bacon (about 45 calories) into a well balanced diet.

There is nothing wrong with saturated fats. Research has refuted the idea that they they CAUSE cardiovascular disease.

If you want a breakfast food that is lower in fat and higher in protein, try lean steak, canadian bacon, lean ham steaks, or egg whites.
  • IMO as far as "healthy" goes, id have to say real bacon is more wholesome and natural than turkey bacon. Turkey bacon is very high in sodium and is very processed. However, it is significantly lower in fat.

I however still do not eat real bacon because it is just too high in fat for the type of diet i am following, so I do occasionally eat turkey bacon or even ground turkey breast .

But i have found Chicken Bacon which is delicous, uncured, and gluten free. Its called Murray's chicken bacon..delicious and IMO the healthier option of the 3
  • Butterball Turkey Bacon is only 25 calories a slice, low in sodium, and tastes almost like "real" bacon & Jenni-o Turkey Bacon is only 35 calories a slice, a lil higher in sodium but still pretty low, and has more of a ham taste but still yummy. Just a tip. If you like pork bacon, try the butterball, or if you like a lil bit more of a ham taste, the Jenni-o is tasty. :)
  • Butterball Turkey Bacon is only 25 calories a slice, low in sodium, and tastes almost like "real" bacon & Jenni-o Turkey Bacon is only 35 calories a slice, a lil higher in sodium but still pretty low, and has more of a ham taste but still yummy. Just a tip. If you like pork bacon, try the butterball, or if you like a lil bit more of a ham taste, the Jenni-o is tasty. :)

I eat Butterball turkey bacon. Its included in one of the meals for my nutrition plan.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    I don't know, but it is tasty. Of course, I don't ban regular bacon from my diet.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Center Cut "Real" bacon is the best as far as nutrition and taste. Center cut bacon has a lower percentage of fat than most turkey bacon with all of the flavor of regular bacon.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    It's bacon...either way...just a little lower in fat. I buy it but use very little of it.
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    No healthier than normal bacon, it's just lower fat.

Not true. Turkey bacon is a good source of protein. The kind I buy, Smoked Sliced Turkey Bacon has 40 calories per slice, 1.5 g fat, 0 saturated fat, 1 g carb, and 6 g protein. Those are some great macro ratios if you ask me.

haters_gonna_duh.gif
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    It's usually just lower in fat than regular bacon and tastes a lot worse, imho.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    A serving of bacon won't kill you. Just have it in moderation, and watch the servings and its all good.
  • Wow, the Butterball Turkey Bacon actually has decent numbers:

http://www.butterball.com/product/regular-turkey-bacon

And it tastes good???
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Nope. As far as calories go, the difference between the two is surprisingly negligible. While turkey is a leaner meat, turkey bacon isn't made from 100 percent bird--it comes with a long list of additives and extra ingredients that don't pack any nutritional value. Both kinds of bacon can give you a mouthful of sodium, but at least with regular bacon, you're eating a real food that also makes your kitchen smell delicious.
  • Wow, the Butterball Turkey Bacon actually has decent numbers:

http://www.butterball.com/product/regular-turkey-bacon

And it tastes good???

Lol Glad you posted the link. Its not bad at all. I eat it on an egg (1 whole egg and two egg whites) sandwich on 100% whole grain English muffin. There's a very good reason why the nutrionist used turkey bacon and not regular bacon.

Works for me. Part of the reason why all of my numbers are down in less than two months.

Erica
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    most are full of sodium and taste like *kitten* - it's real bacon or nothing for me (usually)
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Instead of bacon I eat eat turkey ham and fry it (basically the same thing). I prefer the taste and the macro ratios are brilliant.