long run days

Options
meerkat70
meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
How do you recover on a long run day? I find I just want to sprawl out for hours - not really conducive to good family life. Any tips on bouncing back?

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I make myself a protein shake while my ice bath is filling, then jump in. 15 minutes in the cold water (usually with all my running clothes still on), then I warm back up gradually before showering. After my shower, a 20- 30 minute nap, then I'm ready to go! This has worked for up to 20 miles for me. I tend to also stretch again throughout the day and use my Stick. Good Luck!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I found some of the long runs, I'd be exhausted after and a short nap did wonders and other times felt totally fine.

If you feel like you need to take easy, then do it. Maybe find less active things to do with the family.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I found some of the long runs, I'd be exhausted after and a short nap did wonders and other times felt totally fine.

If you feel like you need to take easy, then do it. Maybe find less active things to do with the family.

Same here. Are you running a longer distance? I've noticed when I increase my distance, like from 12-14 miles, I am exhausted for the rest of the day. But, usually after running the distance for 2 weeks in a row, I'm okay.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I came home today and slept for two hours. Felt good after that.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I came home today and slept for two hours. Felt good after that.

I had a little nap this afternoon too after the race but normally after my long runs on Sunday I just relax for a while and then have a substantial breakfast / brunch (2nd breakfast for me, first for the sleepyheads who were still in bed while I was running) Despite what my HRM tells me in terms of calorie burn I don't usually feel wiped out after my LSD.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    When the husband is home I get to take naps. When he's not, I have to suck it up. Red Bull and Starbucks energy drinks get me through the rest of the day.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Shower and stretch, big glass of water with a rehydration tablet in it, cup of tea, big breakfast!
    No chance of a nap in my household!
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Today is my long run day, which for me is 10-15k , ran the 10k in a new PR of 57.33 which i put down to being inspired by Mo Farah and the general exploits of team GB yesterday :)

..I recover with some jaffa cakes, a nice cold fizzy fruit water and a moderatley cold shower.
  • Kona2014
    Kona2014 Posts: 38
    Options
    Have a good breakfast, shower then sprawl on the sofa for a few hours with a good book/movie!
  • smaschin
    smaschin Posts: 91
    Options
    I dont rest anymore than usual, i try to get 6 to 8 hours every night and that does me good.

All my rest in between is active rest not passive, i find passive rest tends to stiffen me up.