I'm a new runner and I'm having chills?

Options
Hey, any advice and why is this happening?
I just ran my fastest 6.2mile in 66:44. It is warm in the upper 70's, and I am having chills and sweating. is this normal or should I be doing something?
Thanks

Replies

• Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I would guess you might be dehydrated. Try drinking some water or another hydrating drink. If it still happens in a while, you might want to get it checked out.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I would guess you might be dehydrated. Try drinking some water or another hydrating drink. If it still happens in a while, you might want to get it checked out.

thanks Amy,
    I drank 16oz water before and during the run, and am halfway threw a12oz gatoraid. I do feel a bit better, but still any one have any advice how to prevent this? I have ran this 6.2 about 6 times in the past 2 weeks, this is the most chilled I have been. I also feel a bit shakey.
    thanks
  • capebretonchick
    Options
    Hey Kim, I actually just experienced somewhat of the same thing yesterday. I went out for a run did 7.5kms and when I got home I was REALLY red faced, and I was shaking. I didn't have anything to eat before I left and I was even a little light headed. I had something to eat with a lot of protein and after about an hour I felt better. I was so peeved at myself because I do know better than that but it was morning and I rushed out. Should always have at least a banana or something. So did you eat before you ran? Not sure if this helps but congrats on the Run anyway. Way to get out there. Cheers.
  • kimss
    Options
    Hey Kim, I actually just experienced somewhat of the same thing yesterday. I went out for a run did 7.5kms and when I got home I was REALLY red faced, and I was shaking. I didn't have anything to eat before I left and I was even a little light headed. I had something to eat with a lot of protein and after about an hour I felt better. I was so peeved at myself because I do know better than that but it was morning and I rushed out. Should always have at least a banana or something. So did you eat before you ran? Not sure if this helps but congrats on the Run anyway. Way to get out there. Cheers.

:smile: Hey thanks,
    Yes I did eat a half a piece of wheat bread with a bit of PButter on it right before, and had had a regular breakfast fo raison bran and 1/2 a banana a few hours before, so I don't think that was it for me. I am feeling better now though. I think amy may have had the right answer, dehydration. I tend to drink way too much coffee and I really hadn't had much water before my run. I have filled up on rehydration and had the other half of my PB/wheat bread.
    Hey great job on your run too...Good luck and congrats on your run....:bigsmile:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    It is probably dehydration, as was said before. I know I have experienced the dehydration chills before during the summer. I would be sweaty and look really hot, but shiver.

Make sure you're getting enough fluids! :flowerforyou:
  • kimss
    Options
    It is probably dehydration, as was said before. I know I have experienced the dehydration chills before during the summer. I would be sweaty and look really hot, but shiver.

Make sure you're getting enough fluids! :flowerforyou:

thanks...
    I think your right, and I feel much better now. I'll be more careful next time about my hydration.
    Thanks everyone for you help.
    Kim