What Calorie counter to trust?

Options
So..I just worked out for an hour on a recumbent stationary bike at max tension at about 7MPH through out. ( or so my bike said). It said in that hour i burned 151.1 Calories. According to MFP i burned 454 calories doing the same thing.I don't know which one to follow..

My bike doesn't know my weight or height to consider when calculating this. Can it know the calories burned based off of only my heart rate?

MFP didn't have a Recumbent vs upright stationary bike exercise to choose from , just stationary bike, and i have heard numerous times that MFP overshoots the number burned by a lot. As awesome as burning 454 cals in an hour sounds, it just seems kinda fishy.

I don't know what to enter in my journal :(

I am 19, 5'4" and 146lbs if it matters.

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    7 mph is pretty slow. I don't mean that in an offensive way at all; I just wonder which level of effort you logged. Even at max tension, I think the higher effort selections on MFP are for faster cycling.

I weigh 150 right now and when I plug in 60 minutes of stationary bike at "very light effort", the calories burned estimate is 205.
  • XxSarahKatexX
    Options
    on my bike I could go the fastest i can on a way easier level and it will say i go like 10MPH ..makes me wonder if those are right too :/ It was a 150 buck bike ha. but i'm more concerned with the calorie count.