Working Mom-Struggling to do it all-100 lbs to lose

Options

Replies

• rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I understand!! I have a 5 month old, work full time nights, am trying to pick up extra time, my husband is going to school and looking for work. I'm an emotional eater, so of course I'm always reaching for food to help with stress or/and to stay awake most of the time. I've learned not to beat myself up over house work also. Sometimes it just needs to take second place to my health.
  • koumbay
    koumbay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Our lives sound similar. I'm 35, have a 17 month old daughter, a 4 month old husky puppy (because my life wasn't already crazy enough!) a husband who works mon-friday 8-6, and I am an RN who works 12 hr night shifts all over the place, weekends, weeknights, holidays, whenever. The exercise and eating healthy is a daily struggle! and trying to maintain the rest of life also. Add me if you wish.
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Mom of a. 3 and 6 year old. Work full time In a busy but very enjoyable career, consult and teach at a local college, and volunteer.

It's crazy, I gave up housework a long time ago, so am still trying to find the balance. I have lost over 50 lbs, but still almost have that much to lose.

Add me as a friend if you would like
  • Bobbie_89
    Bobbie_89 Posts: 146
    Options
    You can add me...

I'm a stay at home mom to a 9month old...I do EVERYTHING and I mean everything around the house while the boyfriend just works.
  • kitkatwag
    kitkatwag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yep thats me! I have 7 kids all together (including my steps) not all live at home anymore though. I work full time and will very shortly start teaching an early morning religious class. That on top of taking care of home and family. Feel free to add me if you like. I have had a bit of the "i dont want too's" lately but am on the way back on track. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Kathleen
  • rychma
    rychma Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids, a job, I am in school, I am training for a marathon (my first), the kids' dad is not involved and my significant other works second shift, leaving me to take care of everything at night. It is tough so I can relate! Feel free to add me if you are looking for support.
  • anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Add me if you'd like. 2 active teenagers, husband, 3 dogs, 2 cats, a smattering of chickens. Work full time, go to art school part time, trying to manage "me" time along with everyone else's activities. Thankfully I just got out of the AF Reserves. Don't know how I did all this plus go away a weekend every month!
    Trying to find balance :)
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have one child, 16 months old, and work full-time and online school full-time... feel free to add me if you wish.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I can really relate. I have 5 kids, a full time job, being a taxi service for the kids' sports, 2 dogs, a cat and some fish!

My first bit of advice is to maybe do what you can to cut down on the things you can to build some "me time" into your day. Maybe you need to volunteer less for awhile. Set up a schedule with your husband to have 2-3 days a week for you to exercise without the 2yo. My youngest is 2 and I can attest to the fact that they might want to do jumping jacks with you for 1 minute, and then lose interest or think it's wrestling time as soon as you get on your hands and knees to do some push ups or stretches!
    I have 70 lbs to lose, with 25 already gone, so we started in the same place :)

Feel free to add me :)
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of a 4 year old and a 2 year and I work full time. I'm lucky that I can go to the gym on my lunch break! My husband and I work opposite schedules so that makes us super busy. But we keep a pretty messy house! :wink:
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well. I'm a mother to an 18 month old, work full time, go to school full time, and try to fit working out into the mix of it all . :flowerforyou:
  • emjay1971
    Options
    I absolutely feel your pain. I may not have the children to take care of, but I have employees, that's close. =)

I have a live-in boyfriend... again, close enough, right? Ha, just playing, but really. I'm 40 years old, full-time, every day, open til close manager of a growing custom tattoo shop. I tattoo, I do body piercings. I do paperwork. I clean. I keep everything under control. That's just work. Home is dishes, laundry, cooking, and basically everything at home. I used to also be a landlord, but I now have an empty apartment downstairs, because I can't even do that anymore, way to much stress.

I am totally the do-everything person. Do it yourself to get it right. Right? And now try to fit in food diaries and exercise?! You can do it, I can do it... we all can do it.

I love my life, and would not trade what I do for anything, I just need to make some improvements on me. =)
  • christinacrisfield
    christinacrisfield Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I work as a nanny, a private tutor and I'm in grad school. So not exactly the same boat, but a very hectic and erratic schedule. I'm married, no kids. Struggled with weight for so long. But when I started taking it seriously then I started to lose. The main point is you have to make time for yourself. I know it's the single hardest thing to do.
  • fitmommy75
    fitmommy75 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am a working mom with 2 kids. The best thing I ever did was to carve out 30 minutes a day for myself. I bought all the Jillian Michaels DVDs so I could workout at home. I send my kids into another room and they watch tv or play games. Everyone needs time for themselves.
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    This is by all means, not meant to sound harsh, but what I learned on my own: When you stop making excuses, you will find the time. And when you realize what is important to you, you will realize you can do it all, but suddenly "all" won't be the same.

I have 5 kids, 3 dogs, 5 acres of lawn, a huge garden, a sick mother. I volunteer, I shuffle kids (my oldest is 6 mos away from her license!), I work a full time job out of the home, and a part-time job in the home (doing books for my husband who is self -employed). People always ask me how I do it (keep up with everything), my answer is this, "We are all busy, just in different ways, I am busy with family mostly, but still make time for things I enjoy - it keeps me sane, so does letting things go sometimes!

You can do this, set realistic goals and do it! I will always take friend request, and support you if you are supporting yourself. If you want to know what I do around the house to save times, just send me an email and I'll gladly help out there too.
  • eziskowski
    Options
    Hi Mom ,
    I am a seventy year old male and i can speak about over weight problems as an adduction simalar to drugs , alcohol.
    One thing that has helps is to become involed in a excerise program , i work out each day at least 30 minutes on a excerise bike and walk one mile on a track, U must do this every day for the rest of your life !! but if u need to talk moree about it then u could em me and we could carry it forward. FYI last year my weight was 226 lbs, now i am down to 195lbs , if i can do it so can u.

EM eziskowski@aol.com
    bye :)
  • RockyMtnJhawk
    Options
    I spent most of the day doing some cooking, trying out new recipes and cooking ahead so I'd have things ready in the freezer, etc.

Anyone else do this?

I'm trying out some new recipes and hope to get enough in the freezer that it will make having lunches for us and my daughter quicker and easier to prepare.

This past week was horrible for me and part of my problem was not planning ahead & that led to lots of last minute choices that weren't at all good for me.

I'll post my recipes here and if you have any you'd like to share, please do!!
  • RockyMtnJhawk
    Options
    Ok...here's one of the recipes I tried out today & it was amazing!! Not only that but someone has already entered it into MFP so it's ready for you to make and log!

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2010/11/04/petite-lasagnas/
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I spent most of the day doing some cooking, trying out new recipes and cooking ahead so I'd have things ready in the freezer, etc.

Anyone else do this?

I'm trying out some new recipes and hope to get enough in the freezer that it will make having lunches for us and my daughter quicker and easier to prepare.

This past week was horrible for me and part of my problem was not planning ahead & that led to lots of last minute choices that weren't at all good for me.

I'll post my recipes here and if you have any you'd like to share, please do!!

Planning and batch cooking is really essential for me. I have found that when I am rushing (which is pretty much always), and if there is no food planned or ready, then I tend to make quick choices which often are poor ones, just to get the family fed.

I buy almost everything in bulk, and prep as much ahead of time. You can buy lean ground beef (or ground turkey), and brown it up with your favority general spices (I do onion and garlic), and then portion it off in freezer bags. I think I do 2 cups cooked per bag. Use this for when ever you need some quick meals. I use it sauces, healthy sloppy joes, lasagne, any ground beef dishes really.

Make 'egg cup muffins'. I take chopped up veggies, mix with eggs or just egg whites if they are for me, add a little shredded cheese pour and bake in muffin tins. Freeze. Microwave when needed.

Premarinade your meats. I will buy 20 lbs of chicken breasts, portion them off to whatever you would make for your family, and then make marinades. Pour a little marinade in each bag, and freeze. Just thaw it out the night before or the morning of, and bake or prepare as you normally would.

Grill up a ton of chicken breasts on the barbeque or indoor grill (I will do 10 lbs at a time). Let it cool, slice, and then spread the sliced chicken on a cookie sheet. Freeze, once frozen, put in a ziploc bag. Just take out what you need at a time and microwave or thaw and microwave. Great to add to meals, or sandwiches, wraps, salads, etc.

Make large quantities of veggie chillis and stews, and freeze them.

Other suggestions would be look up healhty OAMC (Once a Month Cooking), or the 'Big Cook'. I just make healthy substitutions for these recipes.

As you can probably guess, I have a very large freezer.
  • eziskowski
    Options
    I hear you when u are rushed , I do the same and they also bad choices , I try to set aside time to think ahead to tree meals a day , Mostly with Chicken brests ,(purchesed fron Costco Prudue frozen brests) I swer buy them because they can easly prepared and have little fat, alond with fresh vegies , Good rule of thum is use your hand as measuring .

Let me know if this helps
    ED :)