NSV - Ran 10 miles today!

Options
Ok, I did run 9.5 miles last weekend, and that was a great run. Today's run ended up being 1 min/mile slower. Felt crappy, got side stitches, had to walk some of it, etc. Got to bed after 1 am last night, but still got up at 5:30 and ran (so I'm sure lack of sleep had alot to do with my poor performance). But, I did it. 7 months ago, I was just starting C25K and my lungs were burning and my heart pounding at the end of that first run/walk. Wow.

It just feels so great. I wish it had been a great run, like my long runs usually are, but they can't always be that way. I am running a 1/2 marathon race in about 7 weeks - can't wait!

Replies

• schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE MY IDOL!! I just registered TODAY for a 5 K in september:) I wanna be where you are :) GREAT JOB!! CONGRATULATIONS!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Way to go. You know you're a real runner when you get the training done even when it doesn't feel so great.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    That's really something to be proud of!!!!! I only run now if I see a bee close to me. lol.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did take a 2 hour nap late this morning, though!!
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    well done!!

not every run will feel great, especially if you are going into new distances. But if you keep at it I promise it will start to feel better and before you know it 10 mile runs will be a regular part of your week. :)
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Naps are great. Proud of you!!
  • IRun4Me2014
    IRun4Me2014 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are doing amazing! I started the c25k program too and am up to running a 5k straight through. Working my way back up to doing half marathons again. Good luck and keep up the good work. And remember a bad run only makes the good runs that much better!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    If you're already running 10 mi, you're going to rock that half in 7 weeks! That's awesome!
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Inspiring to a newbie to running like me!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The 1/2 marathon should be a piece of cake! Have fun! :drinker:
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    that's amazing! well done you.
    sometimes the runs are ****ty, but that's how you can tell when a run is really good. and you kept going, even though it was hard.
    10 miles is a long way.
    FWIW, i did c25k as well, and it sounds like we're on a similar journey. only i'm a bit further on than you and i'm training for my 2nd marathon! you'll be awesome for your half- come back and tell us how you did. do you post on the long distance or marathon runners board?
  • taylor0204
    taylor0204 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    10 miles is great seven weeks out from your 1/2 marathon. I am running one in Oct.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Ok, I did run 9.5 miles last weekend, and that was a great run. Today's run ended up being 1 min/mile slower. Felt crappy, got side stitches, had to walk some of it, etc. Got to bed after 1 am last night, but still got up at 5:30 and ran (so I'm sure lack of sleep had alot to do with my poor performance). But, I did it. 7 months ago, I was just starting C25K and my lungs were burning and my heart pounding at the end of that first run/walk. Wow.

It just feels so great. I wish it had been a great run, like my long runs usually are, but they can't always be that way. I am running a 1/2 marathon race in about 7 weeks - can't wait!

Congratulations to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm just starting C25k later this month... and I can only dream to be where you are now... great job :)
  • sherry9303
    sherry9303 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is awesome ! How did you start your exercise program? I am trying to start running.
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! That is awesome, and inspiring. I started C25K in May and made it to Day 1 of Week 7. I was doing good and then ended up with major hip pain. Laid off, stretched more, researched a lot, and today I was all proud of being back up to 20 minutes straight. Your accomplishment is definitely something to strive for.
    Thanks for sharing!
  • natalie412
    Options
    Couch to 5K, baby! Lots of apps available for smart phones or ipods - I used JogLog on my iphone (now that I don't need the C25K program, I use Runkeeper). Start out with intervals of running and walking 3x per week, and by the end of 8 weeks, you can run 30 min straight. You can take more weeks if you need to, but I found I could do it. I finished that at the end of February and have just kept running 3 times a week (I do kettlebell workouts 3x a week too), and upping my mileage. Ran a couple 5Ks, a 5 mile trail run, and another 5 mile road race.

My Tuesday and Thursday runs are now usually 4-5 miles, and then a slower, long run on the weekend.
  • natalie412
    Options
    that's amazing! well done you.
    sometimes the runs are ****ty, but that's how you can tell when a run is really good. and you kept going, even though it was hard.
    10 miles is a long way.
    FWIW, i did c25k as well, and it sounds like we're on a similar journey. only i'm a bit further on than you and i'm training for my 2nd marathon! you'll be awesome for your half- come back and tell us how you did. do you post on the long distance or marathon runners board?

I do post in the long distance and 1/2 marathon forums. I always map out and run a huge loop, so I don't have much choice but to keep going if I want to get home!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!

Think of your less than ideal training runs as character building and educational. (we all have them........)
  • natalie412
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! That is awesome, and inspiring. I started C25K in May and made it to Day 1 of Week 7. I was doing good and then ended up with major hip pain. Laid off, stretched more, researched a lot, and today I was all proud of being back up to 20 minutes straight. Your accomplishment is definitely something to strive for.
    Thanks for sharing!

Way to not give up!! I had some arch\inside foot problems that crept up on my long run last weekend, and it had me worried. But it has been better every day since - even on my 10 miler today, so I was relieved. I iced it alot, took ibuprofen, did heel raises, etc. Anything to keep the running going!
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! Great job! Keep up the GREAT work! I want to be able to do that someday soon too.