Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

Options
So yesterday I pushed myself extra hard on my leg workout and man did it feel like a success! Then I woke up today. Ow!

I stretched before, after, and during a hot shower right before bed. Today I stretched, walked, swam, took a hot shower, and stretched again. My legs are still killing me and tomorrow is supposed to be my active rest day off of strength training. That means 30 min of moderate cardio, which will suck.

I'm not really sure how to ease the pain, or prevent it in the future and I'm wondering if anyone has some strategies for me. Google was essentially useless in this respect so if anyone could share their strategies or point me to some articles that would be awesome!

Cheers :drinker:

Replies

• ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I did the exact same thing, and I really want to hear what others have to say about it. I did squats and lunges for the first time in...I don't know, years, and my legs are KILLING me. Like...it's bad. haha. Not so bad that I think I injured myself, but bad enough to make me dread going to the bathroom (ya know, for the sitting and standing back up).
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options
    Ha, I just realized that this is from August of last year. LOL. Zombie thread.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Accept it. Embrace it. Crave it. LOVE it.
  • AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    A couple of pain killers can take the soreness away. Icing your ____ can also help.
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Foam roller! I use one after running and after strength training and it does wonders for me.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal. Soreness should be expected when you are using muscles much more than you have in a while. It will pass.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    How do these zombie threads reappear like this?
    Anyway, I haven't found the solution yet, but I have noticed that if I push through the first 5 minutes of ouchiness during a walk or light run, they get much better. So DOMS shouldn't stop you from light cardio.
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I always have a post workout snack or drink that is higher in protein (why protein drink mixes or nuts, almond milk, etc) that helps fight the muscle soreness! Doesn't take care of all of it, but on days I skip it, I pay for it!!!!
  • rachiefofo
    rachiefofo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend taking pain killers!!!

Take some ibruprofen, ice if needed, rest, stretch, and use a 'roll out' stick to roll out your muscle tightness. (use anything, they usually have the rollers at the gym, or hey I have used a remote and a baseball bat before haha)

Keeping your muscles loose will help ease the soreness too, don't stop your workouts cold turkey even if your sore.

Soreness is a GOOD feeling!! means your working hard ;-)

Hope this helps!
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options
    Anyway, I haven't found the solution yet, but I have noticed that if I push through the first 5 minutes of ouchiness during a walk or light run, they get much better. So DOMS shouldn't stop you from light cardio.

My fault. :blushing: I searched the forums for "how to ease muscle soreness" and this was the first to come up. I commented on it. lol. Sorry. But good advice, all. Thank you.

ETA: usually when I search the forums, the first post to come up is really recent. I didn't check the date. Sorry again. haha
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Cut back on the intensity of your workout so aren't so sore a few days later.

Some soreness after a hard workout is normal, but it's not necessary to make yourself so sore that you are in pain and can barely function to get results!
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options
    Cut back on the intensity of your workout so aren't so sore a few days later.

Some soreness after a hard workout is normal, but it's not necessary to make yourself so sore that you are in pain and can barely function to get results!

That's kind of where I'm at...barely functioning. Haha. I went too hard too fast because I was all pumped about working out again, and once I realized that my legs felt like jelly, it was too late!! I will definitely step it back a notch or two until I am ready to go with full force.
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Rule #2: Double Tap
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    On my strength days I drink a protein shake and eat a banana. I still have some soreness but not nearly as bad as it is if I skip the banana.

Could be a mental thing, but I was told banana's help.. :)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options

i love DOMS. makes me feel like a muthafuggin #beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options

i love DOMS. makes me feel like a muthafuggin #beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh:
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Been there, doing that! I have been waddling around for 2 days after a particularly squat heavy day. I've just been "sucking it up" and sitting on a nice chair while i do homework.

I've heard about the foam rollers though......
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Yes, and you raised it from the dead. Necrothreadmancer.
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options

Yes, and you raised it from the dead. Necrothreadmancer.

Necrothreadmancer is going to be my band name, whenever I learn how to play an instrument and get a band together. IT'LL HAPPEN, who says it won't?