what category do i need to "use up" in a day?

Options
Hi! Just started today and had a hell of a time w/ the calories. I literally ate a double dinner to get the calories and as of 10:00 I still have 400 more to eat! But...I'm -15 on protein and have 1 fat and 100 carbs to burn through. What should I do? No matter what I eat I'm basically going to over more protein. Appreciate any advice or help on how to get it to all balance out in the end!:happy:

Replies

• Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Implicit in everyone's goal to "lose weight" is the desire to lose fat while preserving muscle. Protein protects muscle when eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • twonkieone
    twonkieone Posts: 132
    Options
    so i should eat to :use up: my calorie and not "worry" if i'm over on protein? so something like a banana w/ pb would be good?
  • thinlizzy525
    Options
    omg you sound like i did a week ago. I had so many left over calories especially the ones i gained from working out (walking 3 miles daily). I would have 1 fat left and -12 protein and i am still trying to figure out how to get this right. I am just trying to stay under my calories,fat and sodium. I figure negative any number in the protein area is a good thing since it's protein lol. I could be SOOOO wrong with that but hopefully someone else can chime in here to.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options
    To meet your stated goal, the most important thing is being at or slightly under in total calories. When you are under or over in one particular macronutrient, it's not a big deal. However, if there is one that you should definitely not worry about going over, it's protein. Again, it's what protects your muscle while you're losing weight.
  • Meraid
    Meraid Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Spartan was pretty much right. The protein protects your muscle so that if you do end up eating a bit under, your muscle mass isn't going to be too affected. (Is how I see it.) How much protein are you supposed to eat? If you work out at all you could require more than MFP tells you too. Everyone takes in different amounts. Going over is fine, but if you go way over it'll start to affect your liver. I don't know how much this would be for you, but I could easily take in 90g of protein a day (that's the highest I've recorded. Meat in my lunch, meat for dinner, and a whey shake after my workout.) Most people go with about 20% of their caloric intake as their protein.
  • twonkieone
    Options
    Thanks Spartan! Appreciate the help all!!! Off to the kitchen! WooHoo!!
  • twonkieone
    Options
    I'm at 67 protein but today I lifted and did elliptical -- and most days I take a spin class - so it's pretty high. I could live on protein and never eat carbs due to hypoglycemia/dizziness from sugars. Just wanted confirmation that for the most part I should focus on the calories.
  • swthrtsmrf
    swthrtsmrf Posts: 384
    Options
    I never worry if I am over in my protein. I try to keep under my cals if I can or not go over too much. And of course because of my bp I definetly try to stay under on my sodium.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Options
    Research suggests that daily protein requirements for sedentary people are 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight, and for active people, it is as much as 1.8 grams per kilogram of body weight. For serious athletes, it may be considerably more.

Based on these standards, MFP's recommendations are often viewed as inadequate.