logging fruits and vegetables: a quandry

Options
Here is something that I wonder about: when I used to do Weight Watchers, all fruits and vegetables counted as ZERO towards one's points for the day, as an initiative to eat more of them and work in healthier foods. If I had a day where I'd used up all my points but was still hungry, I'd eat some fruit or a salad with no dressing or steamed broccoli or whatever and it wouldn't matter. While using this site, I log EVERYthing in order to be honest with myself. Even fruits and vegetables, but some times, they detract a lot from my daily allowance, even though mentally I feel like they should be "free items" and I want to not log them. I'm still kind of hungry right now and I want to be chowin down on some grapes and bananas, but I'm not because I'm over by 68 calories. What does anyone else think of this?

Replies

• Woodmangler
    Woodmangler Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers is just trying to move people to healthier foods by enticing them to eat "zero points" veggies and fruit. Still has calories though... so I guess you would say that this site is based a little stronger in reality. :bigsmile:
  • beckiw12
    Options
    Some fruits and Veggies are better then others and lower in calories....but all are still good for you!! It's a matter of learning which ones are lower in calories and having plenty of those on hand when your looking for a hunger satisfying snack. You should be logging them as you say to keep honest about what your eating....but you also should not be starving yourself. If your at your cal max for the day and you still need something extra....at least take comfort in knowing fruit or veggies are not gonna put you that much over your daily intake. You could also do some extra exercise to make up for the few calories you'd add by having that snack. One last thought for you though...I just finished reading Bob Harpers "Skinny rules"....and he suggests that it's actually conducive to your weight loss to go to bed hungry, so that when you wake up your fully ready for breakfast! This method has been working for me. Anyways...that's just my two cents for what it's worth. Good Luck!
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i agree that you have to count everything you eat. I did WW 5 years ago during points, not points plus. During points, we were allowed to have free raw veggies, but we did have to count fruit because of the sugar. I have heard from numerous people that since points plus started, they are having a much harder time losing weight..that could be why. (and before anyone jumps down my throat, i DID NOT SAY that no one loses weight on points plus, but everyone "I" talked to struggled to the point of quitting.)
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    I love me some carrots! I have quit smoking (3 weeks tomorrow! Yeah!), so naturally, I have cravings for something in my mouth about 20 times a day (ha!). I have eliminated most of the foods that are off limits to binge on, except for Fiber One individually wrapped brownies. Although, those brownies are pretty damn dry, so I wouldn't want to binge on those.
    I just keep carrots to binge on, or sunflower seeds (it takes a while to get a full serving of sunflower seeds).
    the sugars in the veggies and fruits are different than are in soda, but yes they do have calories. Because natural sugars are naturally caloric, grapes and raisins for example will be higher in calories than say, carrots (100/200 per cup, and 30 per carrot). I am no food expert, and I am going to be asking a question about sugars here in a moment. I just wanted you to know what I do.
    And, yes, I do log them all. Also, If I have the carrots with ranch.
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will try that. Lately I am trying really hard to reverse my bad sleep habits where I stay up all night working on art projects / looking at internet and then come 3 am I WANT SNACKS!!!...normally I ate hummus and cut up bell peppers + tea but lately I try to go to bed by 12, then drink 2 cups of water when I get up before I eat, good suggestion. Is that book helpful too?
  • Jackie_Paper
    Options
    Yeah I can destroy a whole bag of baby carrots pretty quickly, so I know what you mean. Congrats on quitting!
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I would say have some grapes. They are not *that* high in calories.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Do some jumping jacks. I mean, a handful of baby carrots is not that many calories.
  • Jackie_Paper
    Options
    Genius!
  • Jackie_Paper
    Options
    That is pretty interesting about the lowered success rate on points plus.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Here is something that I wonder about: when I used to do Weight Watchers, all fruits and vegetables counted as ZERO towards one's points for the day, as an initiative to eat more of them and work in healthier foods. If I had a day where I'd used up all my points but was still hungry, I'd eat some fruit or a salad with no dressing or steamed broccoli or whatever and it wouldn't matter. While using this site, I log EVERYthing in order to be honest with myself. Even fruits and vegetables, but some times, they detract a lot from my daily allowance, even though mentally I feel like they should be "free items" and I want to not log them. I'm still kind of hungry right now and I want to be chowin down on some grapes and bananas, but I'm not because I'm over by 68 calories. What does anyone else think of this?
    Nothing is free. It's better to log and go over than to start cheating. Good luck!