Vegan Protein Powder?

Has anyone used vegan protein powder? I am currently breastfeeding my daughter, and we just discovered she is allergic to milk, eggs, and gluten/wheat. I've used whey protein powder before, but obviously that isn't an option anymore. I've seen a few brands on vitacost, but I'm totally lost and could use some direction. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    I'll PM you...
  • Why protein powder?
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    nutribiotic rice powder..
  • JBearsMom21
    JBearsMom21 Posts: 90 Member
    I use the Plant fusion vegan protein powder. They have vanilla, chocolate, unflavored and berry. I use the vanilla. There are 21 grams of protein in one scoop. I bought a two pound tub off amazon for around $30.00.
  • Has anyone used vegan protein powder? I am currently breastfeeding my daughter, and we just discovered she is allergic to milk, eggs, and gluten/wheat. I've used whey protein powder before, but obviously that isn't an option anymore. I've seen a few brands on vitacost, but I'm totally lost and could use some direction. Thanks in advance!

I haven't personally tried it, but Tone It Up has the perfect protein powder that is vegan.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    I'm allergic to dairy proteins too and make sure whatever you use is not soy. Typically ppl with dairy allergy (NOT to be confused with lactose intolerance) are also allergic to soy. I sent you a PM about Shakeology, which has 2 Vegan formulas that also do not use egg white protein or soy...
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    This isn't bad for vegan -- http://www.sunwarrior.com/. Does have a bit of a soy aftertaste but you get that with most every vegan (or at least the many I have tried). Chocolate not as bad. I don't think all of theirs is soy, one is rice I think. I stick to whey now as I found one that tastes really good so I didn't try them all.

Company will send you free samples if you e-mail them. Just tell them which ones you want to try. That is better than buying a crap load and not liking the taste.
  • deirdre60302
    deirdre60302 Posts: 16 Member
    I use the vegan Garden of Life - Raw Protein Beyond Organic Protein Formula.

The vanilla is pretty decent - I sweeten with stevia and add fresh fruit/spinach/cucumber, etc.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    We're using Nutribiotic Rice Protein vanilla. It's fine--we just put it in smoothies...
  • Try the Vega protein powder. I order it from my local health food store since they don't stock it yet. If you have a Whole Foods nearby they have it on the shelf. It's allergy free as far as I know. No nuts, seeds, soy, or dairy.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 416 Member
    I've never tried it, but I've heard good things about hemp protein powder.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Vega (started by a Vegan athlete) makes Vegan protein powders and meal replacement powders. I use the Performance Protein for now.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    I do a blend of brown rice/gemma pea protein from truenutrition.com - the birthday cake flavor is absolutely delicious! I prefer it blended into smoothies though, as the texture can be grainy.
  • achasnis
    achasnis Posts: 119 Member
    I have used Arbonne Protein Powder before, and for some reason I think it's vegan... I really liked it... I
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    I use the vegan Garden of Life - Raw Protein Beyond Organic Protein Formula.

^^ This. I just started using this and it's high in protein but totally vegan. Add LOTS of berries... :)
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    BUMP FOR LATER
  • Why protein powder?

I want something extra for my smoothies in the morning. I lose 500 calories a day for breastfeeding, and between breakfast and lunch I always end up snacking on junk at work or I'm starving by the time I get to eat my lunch.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    If it's a lactose thing, whey isolate should be fine (it has the lactose removed)
  • If it's a lactose thing, whey isolate should be fine (it has the lactose removed)

It is different than being lactose intolerant. She's actually allergic to the milk proteins.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    This isn't bad for vegan -- http://www.sunwarrior.com/. Does have a bit of a soy aftertaste but you get that with most every vegan (or at least the many I have tried). Chocolate not as bad. I don't think all of theirs is soy, one is rice I think. I stick to whey now as I found one that tastes really good so I didn't try them all.

Company will send you free samples if you e-mail them. Just tell them which ones you want to try. That is better than buying a crap load and not liking the taste.

Thanks for the heads up on the samples! Just emailed them!

Right now I used Nutribiotic vanilla rice protein powder. It's not bad, and probably one of the cheapest ones you will find.
  • AlotOfSweatAndPain
    AlotOfSweatAndPain Posts: 234 Member
    It's gross
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    There are lots of ways to get protein besides protein powder. Consider adding more rich sources of proteins in the form of whole foods into your diet.

That said, the most common protein powders that would fit your qualifications are soy, rice, pea, or hemp protein. If it was me, i would be looking for a protein powder with as few ingredients as possible. A baby with multiple allergies, especially with gluten in the mix, may be prone to developing new allergies, and the fewer highly-processed ingredients you can expose her to, the better.

For example, this hemp protein powder has only one ingredient, hemp:

http://manitobaharvest.com/product/27/HEMP-PRO-50-908g.html

Has anyone used vegan protein powder? I am currently breastfeeding my daughter, and we just discovered she is allergic to milk, eggs, and gluten/wheat. I've used whey protein powder before, but obviously that isn't an option anymore. I've seen a few brands on vitacost, but I'm totally lost and could use some direction. Thanks in advance!
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    I use a blend of pea protein, Hemp Pro 70, Nutribiotic rice protein and Omega Nutrition Pumpkin seed protein powder. I've heard/read complaints about some of the powders independently (pea protein and hemp protein especially). But mixed together they have a nice, mellow flavor. My husband is even more finicky when it comes to the taste of protein powder and he likes this combination. I have a feeling the rice protein is the least offensively flavored of them all but I prefer the micros/macros of the blend. Sometimes if I really want to bump up my protein and get in some Omega 3s I'll make a smoothie with the protein powder and add flax and chia seed.