How do you get back into it?

Options
I'm coming back to the MFP community and lifestyle change after a very long hiatus, and completely regaining alll the weight I lost, plus an entirely new 15 pounds. My fall off the wagon is a long story, but some of the highlights are:
- my best friend's brush with death
- my final semester at college
- my graduation into a decent job and the subsequent discovery that my boss was far less than decent, and dragging the job down to his level of muck and misery
- my resignation in the middle of a stagnated job market and a cross-country move
- cohabitation with my formerly long-distance boyfriend and his entire immediate family
- a coming to grips with my PTSD and attendant depression and anxiety
- finally getting medicated
- and aforementioned best friend deciding to move to Uganda.

The bottom line is that between my past success with weight loss, the sheer amount of information I've absorbed on the subject, and the general knowitallness of being a 23-year-old with all this under her (lengthening) belt, I can't seem to bust past "jaded" to "motivated." I'd put up "Have You Seen Me?" posters but I can't remember what my motivation looks like, other than a crippling set of self-image issues that I am thoroughly disgusted with and have left at my parents' house until I can find a way to safely dispose of them. Help! How do you get back on the bandwagon, especially when you've spent so long off it?

Replies

• twinklytwink
    twinklytwink Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've had a pretty tough time - you should not beat yourself up about falling off the wagon, with all that to deal with I'm sure even the most steadfast dieter would find it hard not to fall back on old coping mechanisms and lose motivation in general. You can't change that, so try not to dwell on it hun :) I'm talking from a HUGE back catalogue of experience, I've alwys struggled with my weight!
    In June this year something shifted for me and I started exercising everyday WITHOUT fail. It just became habit and I didn't let myself think about it too much. Just do it (as nike says hehe). I just made time for it and within a very short space of time I would get very upset if I COULDN'T fit in my daily run or whatever.
    I find that getting the exercise in place is the first step to weight loss - and this is something it's taken years for me to realise. For some reason once you start the routine you naturally want to eat better. Perhaps it's something to do with realising your body's own strength and potential - as you get better at your workouts, you realise how brilliant your body really is and always was, even though you have always hated it. You find a new respect for yourself, however small, and that is a fantastic trigger to getting the whole weight-loss-motivation ball rolling again. You just gotta be strong and keep with it until it becomes something you wouldn't be without.
    So my main tip for getting back on the bandwagon is:

- Exercise EVERY DAY, don't think about it too much, just get those trainers on and go! JUST DO IT.

It worked for me.

Don't look back.

Good luck! x x
  • richardsrm
    richardsrm Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    Sun, one thing is for sure , there is no magic elixir........I am still just plodding along............I did gain back five , went back to logging my foods and that came off quick............no easy answers. For me it is looking like one of those Russian dolls that fit into one another.....bugs me that I can't get my arms down by my side and knowing only I can change it. Log on daily weather you are good or bad . Just stay on the message boards and start running again............you will get through it one day at a time. Richie
  • Craigberrow
    Craigberrow Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've read a quote that I think is quite fitting to use here. "to begin, begin". I kinda didnt get it first time around until I tried to diet/lose weight/better life style etc etc. I ALWAYS had an excuse, I meen they were genuine reasons why I couldn't start my journey. Then I read that quote again. Basically don't wait for tomorrow or next week, don't worry if you have a works night out coming up just start your journey right now. No one said it will be easy they said it would be worth it. Good luck.