Spagetti Squash

Options
So I have heard people talk about spaghetti squash and I love squash in general but I've always been a bit intimidated to buy one an attempt to prepare it properly...so This weekend while grocery shopping I decided to pick one up..I took a fork and poked holes in the squash (next time I will use a knife) then I place the squash in the crockpot and fill the crock with water about half way up..I turned the heat on low and let it cook all day...I Mean all day like 9 hours...lol.. I took the squash out, cut it in half, scooped the seeds out and then took a fork and scraped the meat of the squash.. The strands came off nicely I added salt pepper garlic and a few spritz of smart balance spray..The squash has a very bland taste until you season it up and I guess boiling it helps with the crunchy texture I always hear about because this squash is not crunchy at all.. It has a nice texture soft but not mush.. It keeps it's strands sort of like pasta but not as firm.

Anyway the whole squash produced 4 1/2 cups and cost $3

I divided it into 1 1/2 cup portions

Added 1 cup of tomato sauce

And I got 3 (183 calorie!!!) lunches

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I just made spaghetti squash for the first time the other day. I LOVE it! I didn't think the flavor was too bland - but that may be because I don't mind somewhat bland food. :tongue: I've eaten it plain with just a dash of salt (I've heard it's also good with just butter), but I've also eaten it with spaghetti sauce, which was delicious. :smile:
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    sounds really good! I really dig on squash!:glasses:
  • bluroses
    bluroses Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to try this soon - bump!
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I know I mispelled Spaghetti...lol
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe here and it was sooooo good!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/57379-spinach-and-sun-dried-tomato-spaghetti

I don't do chickpeas so I left them out...it was delicious!
  • veracruz
    veracruz Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    We eat spagetti squash frequently in our house. I make it a couple different ways - first, I split it in half, take out all the seeds (easier to do before cooking). Place in glass dish flat side down in a little bit of water - microwave for 5-10 minutes and the strands just fall out of the squash! I like to grill chicken and toss with garlic and herbs. OR, I like to dice up plum tomatoes, and add garlic and some low-fat mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Super yummy and good for you!!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I :heart: spaghetti squash, the husband is not a fan though, so we dont have it very often..
  • toots99
    Options
    We eat spagetti squash frequently in our house. I make it a couple different ways - first, I split it in half, take out all the seeds (easier to do before cooking). Place in glass dish flat side down in a little bit of water - microwave for 5-10 minutes and the strands just fall out of the squash!

I'm going to try that way next...it was a bit tricky and messy trying to scoop out the seeds after it was done cooking.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    lol is there an easy way to split it??? man last week i wasn't sure which one of us was going to win! :laugh:
  • toots99
    Options
    lol is there an easy way to split it??? man last week i wasn't sure which one of us was going to win! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

When I made it, I guess I microwaved it too long because one part of it split on it's own!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I split it before I cooked it because I cooked the two halves face down in about an inch of water in the oven; I don't own any big knives, but actually cut it easily using my electric knife (normally for turkeys & whatnot)! :laugh:
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    We eat spagetti squash frequently in our house. I make it a couple different ways - first, I split it in half, take out all the seeds (easier to do before cooking). Place in glass dish flat side down in a little bit of water - microwave for 5-10 minutes and the strands just fall out of the squash!

I'm going to try that way next...it was a bit tricky and messy trying to scoop out the seeds after it was done cooking.

I'm going to try this next time too.. sounds a lot easier Thanks :)