Late night cravings..

Options
I was doing so well. I ate 1180ish calories by the time i had my dinner and a lolipop to satisfy that dessert sweet tooth. Unfortunately my mom makes dinner at 5pm...and I stay up until 12 or later..lots of time to get the cravings. Before i knew it, I ate half a container of hummus with pita chips and some graham cracker fudge cookies and milk. Ugh. I didn't bother adding it to my journal because I have NO idea how many cals i just ate.

I tried everything I can think of..I try to eat small things or something different than what I am craving, but I just eat what I was craving after i eat whatever I tried to replace it with. I tried drinking a bunch of water, I tried drinking coffee ( but I usually try to hold back on that because I take it with 4 spoonfuls of sugar..splenda just isnt the same. I only drink half a cup, though.) Tea isn't my..cup of tea haha. I need sugar with that as well..ahh sugar I hate you. why must you be 15 calories a teaspoon.

I just barely stay under my limit by the time I eat all my meals. Even if i skip breakfast and have no snacks it is still rather close. 1200 calorie diets suck. I have no room for late night snacking or anything..how can I stop them? If i eat more during the day I will go over..if i eat snacks at night I will go over. I cannot win! :(

Replies

• thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The two things that has solved my late night snacking were pills that make me sleep like a log and an early bedtime. I'm much less likely to snack in the morning so it's early to bed, early to rise (makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise). Sorry, I just had to add that last part.
  • vanishonthebow
    vanishonthebow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast isn't going to help with cravings. Keeping your blood sugar steady will help.

I have had the same problems - trying to replace my cravings with something better almost never works! I always end up just eating what I want after that, which is even worse, haha. Is it possible to only eat half of dinner at 5 and the other half later? Like at 9?

The truth is if you stay up late then you are going to eat more. With a 1200 calorie diet you can have three 300 calorie meals and two 150 calorie snacks - breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. Just keeping it evenly spaced you can keep your blood sugar steady and it should help... but I totally get where you're coming from because the same thing happens to me and sometimes timing it and all that does nothing to help. Usually it helps too if I have something productive to do after dinner so I'm not just sitting around thinking about food!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to allow yourself to eat more than 1200 calories? Otherwise, maybe try to eat more veggies during the day - low calorie, but larger volume.

If you're hungry at night, eat. If you're craving something specific, let yourself have it, because as you can see, you'll probably eventually give in and eat it anyway. I've been there many times! I like eating cereal and chocolate for an evening snack each night so I always have it and don't feel bad. I guess I COULD have fruit or something lower calorie but I'd probably end up eating my cereal/chocolate snack anyway.

Also - get out of the kitchen! If you aren't truly hungry then go somewhere else in the house and busy yourself with something else. Write in a journal. Give yourself a little time to reflect about how you're feeling and you may find you don't want those snacks after all.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I agree. Space out the food to about 6 times a day (or five). Did you set the system to sedentary? Are you eating what it tells you to eat? If you're eating less than it's telling you then that's why you feel hungry. It's better to loose weight slowly than fast or you'll feel starved.

I agree with you about Splenda. They actually say that those chemical sweeteners just make you crave more food and they tend to throw your system off. Are you drinking diet drinks? That might be doing it.

Monica