Advice/support?

Options
Hi Everyone,
I am getting back into shape and while i've never been at the gym a lot and was a dancer and runner so the gym was never needed but I want to start going to the gym but I live in an area surrounded by Army and Airforce men and they are always at the gym in my apartments and in amazing shape and so when I go, I get all self conscious and talk myself out of it. Anyone have any suggestions on this? Does anyone else get self conscious at the gym?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Tell them you're a beginner and after some tips, then watch them fall over themselves to help you and make you feel welcome.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Tell them you're a beginner and after some tips, then watch them fall over themselves to help you and make you feel welcome.
    ^ This. Plus, people who are at the gym to workout (as opposed to socialize, which is more prevalent in some gyms) are often so wrapped up in their own workouts that they barely even notice you're in the room unless you really do something to draw attention to yourself. There's no reason to be self-conscious - you're there to improve yourself and that's admirable. Most other gym-goers will respect you for it and gladly help if you ask (as long as you're not interrupting their workout!)
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Just remember that everybody started out where you are, and soon enough you will have mega gym confidence. Plus, nobody gives a crap what others are doing in the gym.

Go out and rock it! You're being healthy and that's all that matters!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've totally been where you are (well, without the military guys), and I totally agree with the above posters. No one cares what you're doing, unless you ask for advice -- in which case most folks will be happy to help you and watch out for you. Just go, girl!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i would feel uncomfortable too and go when there is no one there to avoid people, haha.
  • Riley0617
    Riley0617 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i would feel uncomfortable too and go when there is no one there to avoid people, haha.

Haha that was my plan but they are always there! My apartment community is 95% Military and most of them are beautiful examples of men....I just can't do it I 'm scared!
  • Riley0617
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind encouragement as well from all of you! This is a new and scary experience
  • flyingpurplemonkey
    flyingpurplemonkey Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym for the first time is so scary!! The first time was really hard for me. I used my university's gym, and it seemed like everyone there was on one of the sports teams. It was really intimidating. But I did it. And I don't regret it at all.

So I completely understand your feelings, but I still encourage you to just do it! You CAN do this!
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Think about it in a different way. I'm pretty sure the majority of them will be inspired by you going out there and doing something about your weight (if you understand what I am saying). I have to tell myself this. As a 300lb person, going to the gym (which I need to get back too) this is what I tell myself. I am pretty sure that this is what people think when seeing those bigger at the gym (I like to think :-)

So be an inspiration to others as well as the people closest around you (and yourself) and get to it!!:tongue:
  • Riley0617
    Options
    Thank you!
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i'm really self-conscious so i work out at home on my wii and with dvds. i keep thinking i'll get over it, but i haven't yet.
  • Riley0617
    Options
    i'm really self-conscious so i work out at home on my wii and with dvds. i keep thinking i'll get over it, but i haven't yet.

Don't you just love the WIi? I have zumba. zumba 2, wii fit and jillian michaels on the wii. Netflix is good for workout stuff too!