Secret to warding off late night munchies?

Options
Was wondering what everyones secret to warding off late night munchies is. I have been right around my goal intake and dont feel like im starving after dinner... but the fat kid in me kicks in late at night and thats when I loose it. My only solution is to go to bed because if i dont ill find something sweet and high in calories!

Replies

• jmoralesx5
    jmoralesx5 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I try to stay busy and workout around 8 or 9 pm. That way I'm pooped by the time I actually sit down and I don't have the energy or desire to munch.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    #1 tip is to STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN ENTIRELY! Grab your water and do not re-enter!

#2 - Eat a tablespoon of peanut butter or some string cheese and wait 15 minutes. The fat in those should curb some of your cravings.

#3 - If you're not doing low carb, eat a big bag of 94% fat free popcorn
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My secret is pretty much the same as yours. If I get that snacking feeling I go get a big drink of water and just go to bed. If I have to stay up to do homework or something, tea is good.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I've had a few nights where I had to go to bed hungry. I'd rather save a few calories for the end of the day if I know I'm going to be up late though.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I keep quite a few calories for my late night snack.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Just eat less during the day so you dont have to feel guilty for eating at night.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I save an apple or pear as my late night snack...sometimes with a tablespoon of peanut butter. If I eat it great if not no loss. Has worked well for me.
  • chrissy3064
    chrissy3064 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    going to bed is a good solution seriously! less sleep = increased appetite, plus your body finds it hard to burn off what you are eating late @ night. then when you are sleep deprived you are more likely to indulge in lots of high fat high carbs high sugar food as pick me ups the next day. it is a viscious cycle. speaking from experience from an insomanic and overworker.

i like an orange if i need an evening snack, actually quite filling. or a chocolate yoghurt.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Eat+all+the+food_98cf46_3057908.jpg
  • Nyranee
    Nyranee Posts: 57
    Options
    I have the same problem and my solution is to only have healthy food at home. Nothing that I could snack fast other than fruits and veggies. I don't have much processed food at home ... almost nothing. Kellogs Special K bites are the exemption as I use them as my sweat treat. All other things I would need to cook. I don't even have marmelade home. There is just nothing to turn through if I want to binge at night. So if it happens I am stuck with fruits and water thins or special k bites which is bareable.

I permanently banned all sweet products such as marmelade, I don't have sugar at home, I don't have butter, I don't have bread except a few slices brown bread in the freezer, I even banned special K Flakes as I used to turn on those when I needed sweets... and believe me bingeing for sugar free oatmeal is not happening. If I want sweat and unhealthy I have to put a huge efford to drive somewhere at night which I don't do. Or I have to stick to the few items at home that substitude the need (fruits, berries, vegetable, worst case special k bites).
  • iammegs
    iammegs Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Tape the fridge, freezer and pantry shut. Not duct tape or anything too serious, just something extra to help you stop. I've heard of people putting Velcro on the same places during college so they couldn't get anything out without waking a roommate...

But seriously, the most effective two for me actually are just going to sleep or saving calories for late night.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Stop smoking pot?

Yeah I am not real helpful, I don't get late night munchies.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Working out can be good. It will give you some extra calories, which you can eat if you're still feeling the need. Otherwise, I think brushing your teeth and drinking a tall glass of cold water might help. And stay out of the kitchen. :)
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    drink water
    sip hot tea
    chew gum
    brush your teeth! (works every time for me if I do this!)
    Don't watch TV! Do something else!

I can't go to bed hungry. If my stomach is hungry, I won't fall asleep easily.
    So... I drink a half cup of milk. Sometimes it's 1%, sometimes vanilla almond, and
    sometimes 1% chocolate. A half cup is all I need. Then I go brush me teeth!!
  • sarahmiron16
    sarahmiron16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and my solution is to only have healthy food at home. Nothing that I could snack fast other than fruits and veggies. I don't have much processed food at home ... almost nothing. Kellogs Special K bites are the exemption as I use them as my sweat treat. All other things I would need to cook. I don't even have marmelade home. There is just nothing to turn through if I want to binge at night. So if it happens I am stuck with fruits and water thins or special k bites which is bareable.

I permanently banned all sweet products such as marmelade, I don't have sugar at home, I don't have butter, I don't have bread except a few slices brown bread in the freezer, I even banned special K Flakes as I used to turn on those when I needed sweets... and believe me bingeing for sugar free oatmeal is not happening. If I want sweat and unhealthy I have to put a huge efford to drive somewhere at night which I don't do. Or I have to stick to the few items at home that substitude the need (fruits, berries, vegetable, worst case special k bites).

I think i need to ban all processed foods too...iv been really good about buying all whole foods that I have to coom but there are still small thngs left that I find myself late night binging on...like tonight was toast with tons of jiffy and honey... I dont eat bread anymore and only use it as a treat so maybe by getting rid of that itll help me cause alot of my late night snacking is out of convienence. Thanx for the tips....im thinking water, tea and some precut fruit that i know is my snack so i dont try to turn to anything else :)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I was gonna say go to bed.
  • sarahmiron16
    Options

I think i need to ban all processed foods too...iv been really good about buying all whole foods that I have to coom but there are still small thngs left that I find myself late night binging on...like tonight was toast with tons of jiffy and honey... I dont eat bread anymore and only use it as a treat so maybe by getting rid of that itll help me cause alot of my late night snacking is out of convienence. Thanx for the tips....im thinking water, tea and some precut fruit that i know is my snack so i dont try to turn to anything else :)
    "cook"
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    need to have a set bed time and stick to it....
  • sarahmiron16
    Options
    Tape the fridge, freezer and pantry shut. Not duct tape or anything too serious, just something extra to help you stop. I've heard of people putting Velcro on the same places during college so they couldn't get anything out without waking a roommate...

But seriously, the most effective two for me actually are just going to sleep or saving calories for late night.
    i love the idea of taping the fridge shut!!!! lol it would cause me to stop and think before I ate
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Take a shower, drink water, take a tablespoon of braggs acv or look at clothes online. These all work for me.