Intermittent fasting - BBC programme Monday 6th Aug

Options
nas061
nas061 Posts: 256 Member
For those of us in the UK there is a Horizon programme tomorrow (Monday) 9pm BBC2 on intermittent fasting. An accompanying article is available on the BBC website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

Replies

• nas061
    Options
    bump
  • LauraThirty
    Options
    This looks facinating. its not for me as after 15 years of fad dieting ive just embarked on lifestyle change plan and im going to stick with it. Will watch the program though.
  • primrosehill
    primrosehill Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree with above - as a compusive binge eater/dieter it's not the approach for me. Hopefully the programme will look at the benefits and drawbacks relative to a steady healthy diet, as I'd be interested to know more about this - but, no, I am not going back there!! In the month before coming on MFP I did try fasting one day a week and just ended up feeling rubbish and overeating. I know it's meant to extend your life by up to 6 years or so, but I'm thinking quality of life is more important than quantity. Still, I'd be interested to know others thoughts. I'm actually worried that if I watch the programme I will be swayed to fast and feel out of control again!
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Might watch it if I have nothing better to do.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    I want to see this since I do intermittent fasting. I'll have to find out if I can watch it in Canada.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up - set to record! Cheers
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Cheers for this, might watch it
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'll be watching it, thanks for the heads' up! :flowerforyou:
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    It looks interesting - thanks!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I'm interested. If it makes its way onto YouTube I'll definitely watch.
  • TeriLynnSpano
    TeriLynnSpano Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nas061
    Options
    Bump - this is on tonight.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads-up.

For those not in the UK the website UKNova usually has much of the BBC coverage soon after airing.

It's a bit-torrent site for those who are comfortable with that.

For those who don't know, you download a small file and another programme (such as Vuze or BitTornado) uses this to download the video.

You need to be a member though, not sure if they are taking registrations right now.

I'll be having a watch anyway.
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    This looks facinating. its not for me as after 15 years of fad dieting ive just embarked on lifestyle change plan and im going to stick with it. Will watch the program though.

Fasting is not a fad. It's been around for thousands of years.

Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01.gif
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'll be taping it!!

when i say taping i actually mean sky+, honest!!!!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know! I will be watching it, but as some people have mentioned above - I wont be trying it! : )
  • nas061
    Options
    This Horizon programme is repeated on the BBC HD channel at 30 minutes past Monday midnight tonight (00.30 Tuesday morning)

Horizon: Eat, Fast and Live Longer

Michael Mosley sets himself an ambitious goal - he wants to live longer, stay younger and lose weight, making as few changes to his life as possible along the way. He explores new research that sheds light on the benefits of fasting and believes he has found a way of doing it that still allows him to enjoy his food. He then tests the science on himself - with life-changing results
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    This is now on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM&feature=youtu.be.

Michael Mosley has an article about the programme in the Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html

I found it interesting. It seems that LOW protein is key as well, whereas I'd been trying to increase my protein percentage recently. Seems like I can't get it right! The 5:2 diet (for 2 days a week eat 500 calories for women, or 600 calories for men) seemed do-able, but I find it very difficult to stick to even 800 calories for a day, so not sure how I'd manage. I don't know how people deal with the tiredness, dizziness, moodiness, etc.

The 101 year old runner was not doing that diet, I don't think. He seemed to eat very little all the time, and was underweight.