fish tips?

Options
i know fish is really good for you and i would love to eat more fish, but its hard for me to stomach the "fishy" taste. any ideas on how to make the "fishy" taste more subtle. or maybe something that will overpower it?

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    try different fish to see which one has a less fishy taste.
    Zander is one that my girls will eat more often and more easily.
    Swordfish seems to be a taste that is not easy for some people.
    Smoked fish, sardines and roll-mops will likely taste fishy to you. So perhaps lowering the salt?
    Sea vs Fresh water taste very differently, I'm afraid you are going to have to test things out...

I love fish. mmmh.

A light mustard sauce or a curry with yogurt is easy and quick to do.
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Try making a fish pie. What fish are you trying to eat and don't like. There are a lot of fish I don't like for the exact same reason (and bones).

I eat fresh tuna and baked salmon mainly. but also tinned mackerel in spicy tomato sauce
  • manny08phs
    manny08phs Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    honestly salmon is too fishy for me, tuna is the only thing ive found that i can eat plain
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    When you bake it or even broil it try using some lemon juice. The lemon seems to dissipate the fish taste really good. I hate the smell that you can taste with some fish. I love salmon and haddock, even cod is good if you use a little lemon.

Good Luck
  • AnneM69
    AnneM69 Posts: 30
    Options
    Have you tried Nile Perch or Basa? I know neither have a good reputation, but they're both less 'fishy' than even tuna, and they're usually under $10/kg.
    I haven't got any balsamic vinegar atm or I'd still be doing it, but I used to cook 'fishier' fish with it and dried herbs. I used to use frozen fish, so I'd start cooking it in a little oil until soft on the outside, sprinkle mixed dry herbs, salt and pepper over it, then pour enough vinegar over the fish fillets to 'coat' them and add enough water to make a cooking medium. Simmer for 10 mins, just to cook the fish through and reduce the liquid into a sauce. You could use soy sauce too, just look for a low salt version.
    Also curry sauce is nice with fish. Look for a paste or powder from S.E. Asia as they're more likely to be suitable flavors for fish.
    Crumbed fish is nice too, and you can crumb it and bake it yourself at home. Use low-fat milk and egg-whites to crumb it and serve with a dressing like tartare sauce, made with ff Greek yoghurt, to cut through any fishiness.
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    i know fish is really good for you and i would love to eat more fish, but its hard for me to stomach the "fishy" taste. any ideas on how to make the "fishy" taste more subtle. or maybe something that will overpower it?

Wait are you talking about fish? Your post is not clear on that :)

Can you not just take suppliments like omega oil etc and not have to eat the fishy fish tasting fish?
  • noemike
    noemike Posts: 61
    Options
    I love baked catfish either I catch myself or buy fresh from Kroger. The ones I buy from Kroger comes with this cajun season that is sooooo goood!!! they dont sell it on the seasoning on there self. So I have to buy there filets from there fresh seafood dept. But its worth it . the cajun spice kinda over takes the fish taste also I baked it in the oven at 400 for 35 minutes just before it burnes and that helps with any fish taste the longer fish cooks I think the you lose more of the fish taste I hope this helps.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    One of the most mild fishes around is tilapia. I like to just bake it. I put it in a pan and surround it in milk. Put just a little margarine on the top of each piece and cover the whole pan in foil. The milk keeps it moist and it just falls apart. i would suggest 325 degrees for about 20 minutes or so.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who worked culinary for years... if you have any fish that smells odd or has an overly fishy taste... time to get your money back because its not fresh..... Real fresh fish will not stink nor have an odd flavor.

If you can get your hands on fresh fish, a good thing to consider for prepping it is to soak it in milk. Once soaked, drain the excess fluid, pat dry.

You can prep it from there in any manner you are planning to work with it.

How you cook the fish also makes a big different too!

I cleaned up a 30# salmon the other day (yup, brought home the whole fish $3.79/lb that way!), had plenty for making a seafood stock, salmon tips, steaks, strips and did one large filet.... There is something sexy about crispy salmon skin.. my GAWD that stuff is awesome!!!!!