Coming Up to 60 (looking forward to being a 'senior')

Options
I will be 60 in September and would like to be on my way down the scales. I'm actually looking forward to being a 'senior' - get extra benefits (eg cheaper meals at pubs, free transport, cheaper entry to some entertainment venues etc). But I would prefer to be a much fitter 60 than I am now. The 'age' thing doesn't bother me - I'm a grandmother after all (but would like to be a much more active one!).

A bit about me - Married 37 years, have four children (30 to 36 years of age) and currently six grandchildren (2 to 7 years of age). Still working but only part time now. Duo citizenship (an American living in Australia where I took out Australian citizenship which was required for one of my past jobs).

I was gastric banded about 10 years ago and lost about 50 kg. Unfortunately during the last 4-6 years I have gained about 10kg of that back and have since been struggling to get it off (as well as the other 35 kg I still needed to lose). I was doing really well about 2 years ago with increased physical activity and lost the 10kg I had gained but injured my knee and had to stop all the walking and gained it back. Then stupidly I got stuck into sugary foods (mm peanuts, reeces peanut butter cups and Sara Lee icecream) and savory ones like flavored Potato crisps. The gastric band is a tool only but it doesn't stop cravings or eating things that go down well (and unfortunately the things I mentioned go down very very well).

Had been looking into eating Raw and attempted that for about three weeks but I missed my chicken and fish way too much (I don't eat much red meat). Also the band makes it difficult to eat green leafy vegs so that made getting quantity hard. I am definitely not a vegan or a vegetarian! However I did enjoy eating some of the raw food and will continue to have them in my food choices (but will have to watch out for the ones with nuts!) Before I was banded I used to drink a lot of fizzy low cal drinks but that is one thing that I cannot do anymore due to the band - no fizzy drinks anymore!

I'm hoping by writing down everything I eat and drink and also adding in the exercise I do, will help me on my way down the scale again. I will have to be answerable! I do not want to eliminate any food as I don't want to be on a 'diet' ever again -did that for too many years and all it did was make me crave food and binge and end up getting fatter. I don't want food to be the major focus in my life ever again. I'd rather just learn to eat in moderation (and I believe I can with support - eg the food diary and reading emails and success stories - they are just so motivating!).

I have started to increase my activity again which is good (doing pilates in water two times per week, going to the gym, seeing a personal trainer (more for posture problems then weight) and plan to start riding my bike again once it stops raining!) I'll also be joining a site that encourages you to walk - eg you walk and log your steps but you are virtually walking around different places. I used this site the last time and it was very motivating.

Well that's enough about me and my hopes. I hope to participate actively with the group and hope to be 'friends' with many. Thanks for listening.