Destroying a hurdle on my weight loss journey

Options
EgMay
EgMay Posts: 13 Member
Hey all!

So for the past few weeks, I had been working at a music camp that takes place on my college campus. I was very excited to teach there, but in terms of my progress I was concerned because all of our meals were provided by my school's dining hall. You see, a good part of my weight gain in college had to do with eating at the dining hall. Everything is prepared and you can take an endless supply of it, and having access to unlimited food certainly helped with my freshman 15...or 20-25 in my case.

However, while I was at the camp, I was able to track my food intake for a good portion of my time there, as well as make smarter food decisions such as portion control or healthier meal options. I got back home this weekend and was able to weigh myself for the first time in three weeks and...I LOST WEIGHT! It was about three pounds too (about a pound per week). The best part is, now that I've gotten used to making those types of decisions in the dining hall, that skill will carry over into my last year of college, and I won't have to worry about gaining my weight back a la freshman year as long as I keep on top of things.

tl;dr - My dining hall won't contribute to my weight gain anymore :)

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Great job. Portion control and making good food choices are tool that you will use for the rest of your life
  • AlotOfSweatAndPain
    AlotOfSweatAndPain Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Great job. Portion control and making good food choices are tool that you will use for the rest of your life

^^^^^
  • Green_Ash
    Green_Ash Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is especially encouraging for me!! I am about to work the band camp on my college campus and I was worrying about the EXACT same thing since I now prepare my meals at home. I feel better about eating those meals at the dining hall now, I'll just have to take a lesson from you and look for the healthier options / smaller portions.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    this is awesome. congratulations
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Isn't that a relief? How awesome.. nice work -- and to discover that you lost weight. yay! The rest of us can take what you've learned and apply it to our lives. The eating out ..going to parties. Just track. Thanks!
  • mszebra
    mszebra Posts: 94
    Options
    Good for you!! I wish I had that kind of sense at your age. I gained about 35 pounds in college.
  • lwlock
    lwlock Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Currently teaching a band camp as well. I like it because I'm busy and not worrying about snacking. :)
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    That is a HUGE Victory for you. Congrats!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!