The Dreaded Carbs (LOL)

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
So I know I have to seriously consider cutting down all my favorite starchy carbs like pasta and bread etc if I want to see the change I'm desperate to see on my mid section; those sexy fine abs, but as my overall calorie intake needs to be quite high to maintain my weigh, carbs really have been my friend too, in helping me meet my goals....but what is considered too much and how much is cutting down??? In your opinion?

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    its an individual thing. For me personally, I had to bust my booty in the gym for 3 months to lose a measly 7 lbs when I was eating ~200-250g a day. When I cut down to ~100g net AND cut my cardio in half, I lost over 17lbs in 3 months. Other people have to go down to ~20g to get that kind of result.

Try cutting 20-50g a day off your total for a week or two and see what happens. If you don't see the results you want, cut another 20 or so off. Keep doing that until you find the number that works for you.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    As usual it depends on the individual.

I'm a 6ft fairly active muscular bloke and I like to keep them below 15% of my intake, the slack being taken up by dietary fat intake (as we can only deal with so much protein). 65% fat intake is average for me.

But that's me ... I don't have any issues with ditching pasta, rice, bread, whole grains, etc on both fat-loss and general health principles so most of my carbs come from veggies and leafy greens.

Some people can tolerate much more and feel OK and lose weight. I took the approach of eliminating most carbs (but not veggies and greens) then upping the intake gradually.

Not found my upper limit yet but 15% is getting great results for me.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    So I know I have to seriously consider cutting down all my favorite starchy carbs like pasta and bread etc if I want to see the change I'm desperate to see on my mid section; those sexy fine abs, but as my overall calorie intake needs to be quite high to maintain my weigh, carbs really have been my friend too, in helping me meet my goals....but what is considered too much and how much is cutting down??? In your opinion?

No idea but this would depend on your weight and activity as well (the larger or taller or more active you are, the more you can eat, the more carbs you can have). I'm usually around the 200 mark and sometimes go over. If I eat more then 200 when I'm exercising I could care less. I know some pretty ripped people who eat about 60% carbs.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    I do have my carbs set at about 45% now because I have a pretty insane metabolism...so its just over 200g a day (5'4"/107lbs), though I don't always meet them - I have more of a tendency to go over on fats.

I'd say I get most of my carbs from bread, pasta and cereals, but when I say that I'm only having maybe 2-3 slices of bread per day max, and 1-2 serves of cereal (oats, muesli, special K etc, not super duper high sugar cereals), 0-1 serves pasta (but when I eat it, I eat a fair sized serve) I can only eat so much protein (I'm already at 120g), so the only other option to reach my calorie's would be to up the fats I suppose.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    carbs are given a bad name but honestly only simple carbs...monosacharrides are really bad for you and even then they can be used tactically...if you believe in such things (I do) to promote the cause of building lean muscle dont fear carbs just keep them healthy. "fat is burned in the furnace of carbohydrate" - Arnold
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Cut the starches on rest days but if you are lifting heavy then load up.
    The glucose in them actually help muscle repair as long as you are bringing in protein.

In fact there are specific diets like Lyle McDonalds SFP that have you cutting carbs all week at 20% daily caloric intake only to hit friday and eat 16g carbs per Lean body pound.
    Lets do some math shall we?

My lean mass is 120lbs

120x16=1920g carbs in 1 day.
    If a carb has 4cals per gram thats 1920x4=7680cals in just carbs alone.
    You essentially eat from sun up to sun down.
    No fat and you eat LBM in protein.

But for us normal people who dont want extremes, just eat the starches on lifting days post workout and they wont go to the gut!
    They will go to the muscle!
    If you have a proper lifting routine.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thanks guys! :)