Home elliptical machine

Options
I am considering purchasing one. Nothing flimsy or rinky dink, also don't want to spend $500+ on it. I see lots on Craig's list but don't know what to look for or what brands are good. Any advice?

Replies

• TallCurvyMuscles
    Options
    Not what you want to hear. Join a gym, home equipment really isnt as good, you would be wasting your money and your time.
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have a Nordic Track Audio Strider...I love it..It's sturdy and easy to use....We bought it about 3 years ago for about $1,100. If you can find a reasonable priced used one, it's a good one.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Thanks, we are members of the Y here but I run a company, work a lot of hours and don't always have time to drive across town to the gym. I'd like something I can jump on for 20 minutes here and there.
  • mmcgille
    mmcgille Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    We have a Vison Ellpitical that we bought about 10 yrs ago. Don't know if they make them any more, but you might be able to find one on Craigs list. It is extremely sturdy and durable - works great despite 10 yrs of use (sometimes as a clothes hanger. :) )
  • kristinkt
    kristinkt Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I have a Nordic Track Audio Strider...I love it..It's sturdy and easy to use....We bought it about 3 years ago for about $1,100. If you can find a reasonable priced used one, it's a good one.

This is what I have too. It is about 4 years old and still holding up well despite daily use.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I bought the Gold's Gym Elliptical from Walmart for a great price, though my husband said the one at the gym is much smoother.
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I have a Sole Elliptical. It has been a wonderful piece of equipment with no problems. I use it when I can't get out to walk in the colder months or rainy days.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I broke down and purchased a Sole E95 last year and I love it! It actually feels sturdier and smoother than the Precor's I've used at the gym and the other commercial models I tried out when I was shopping for one. I've been very happy with all of the Sole equipment I've used and purchased - treadmills and ellipticals.
  • ketchup38
    ketchup38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    you can get cheaper models and some are 1/2 bike too!
    i have a 2 in 1 machine very handy if you cant afford a gym! :bigsmile:
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I have a Gold's gym and it is great! Yes, bought it from walmart, 3 years ago and have never had a problem out of it. Occasionally two of my big kids use it too.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I also have a Sole. Very well made and very smooth. It was not inexpensive though.
  • TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    We bought a LifeCore a couple years back and it sat. I just started using it a few weeks ago and it works real well.
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have a Proform that I love!! It allows me to hook my iphone up to it and lets me hear music through its speakers. It has plenty of preprogrammed workouts (6 I think) and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I bought it from Sears for about 450 dollars. If you time it right you could probably find one that had recently been returned for a couple of hundred off. It's a good machine. I've had it for a year already.:happy:
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say, you're not going to get a quality elliptical for under $500... at least not for heavy use. I know my elliptical (Octane Q35c) sees 10+ hours of use a week and is still super smooth... the cheaper ellipticals tend to not stand up to that much use. In addition, speaking from my experience... the cheaper ones aren't built to withstand quite as much force... meaning if you're larger it lasts an even shorter time.

Honestly though, if you're only using it occasionally here and there, you can probably find something of reasonable quality for that price.
  • BodyByButter
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Are they normally battery powered? Seems that a plug in one would be better?
  • Dsnyfrk921
    Dsnyfrk921 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The Elliptical Machine that I purchased for home was around $1000-$1200 over 3 years ago. It's a Horizon model that I purchased from ****'s Sporting Goods. I love it and use it all the time.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to find one under $500 unless it's used.

Good luck!
  • BodyByButter
    Options
    I'm actually ok with used as long as it's in good shape. A lot of people buy exercise stuff and never use it, so it's not very used if you shop around. We're moving across the country in two years and I doubt I'll move the one I get, so really it just needs to last a couple of years.