At home exercises without any equipment!

Options
Does anyone have any at home exercises that are good for losing fat/toning?

Replies

• opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I do the plank, push-ups and squats, to tone abs, arms and legs.

And now I'm doing the 30-day shred, which is on YouTube, and only requires small weights (you can use cans of beans if you don't have weights).
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    Quite a simple one that someone on here recommended to me is walking / running up and down stairs. Its suprising how much it works your legs if you do it for 15 mins or so!
    Also i use Zumba on the Wii, its not as good as an actual class but its still fun and easy to do at home!
  • Dlhigh
    Dlhigh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Gosh!! There are so many. Lets see - Jumping Jacks, Burpees, Planks, Pushups, Sit ups / crunches, lunges and squats, and don't forget just going out and walking. Start small and work your way up. Consistency is the key!
  • awill1122
    Options
    Check out the book titled "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren. It is a book solely about bodyweight exercises without any equipment. I own it and I like it a lot. It's only $10.88 on amazon
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump to see future replies.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • Dlhigh
    Dlhigh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    xx
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to purchase an at home type program, you could check out exercise on Pinetress and get all kinds of exercises you can do at home..
    If you're interested in an at home program, message me I can help you figure out what will work for you
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Bottles of water are a great substitute for free weights, especially because you can fill/empty them to adjust the weight or use larger smaller bottles.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    google and youtube around.. there are TONS of stuff you can do... as someone mentioned cans of beans are weights- so are water bottles...

Plenty of videos use body weight- so no tools needed. Dips can be done off your steps - push ups crunches planks burpies jump jax - list goes on and on - jump rope is a great work out.

Or - find a friend whose weights are collecting dust and borrow? Buy a small set? I got an adjustable set for $40 at target.
    But I want to point out about screwing on plates as my set does.. gets annoying during a work out to switch - so I am in the market for some 8s and 10s - so I can load the old set heavy and just have all my amts ready for me to grab.
  • movn4ward
    movn4ward Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Def do a search on YouTube, tons of full workouts that you can use as a reference.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    TURBO FIRE'S HIIT WORKOUT!!! That'll take the fat off for sure!
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I can't afford a gym right now so, as well as some of the exercises suggested above, my exercises are:
    Walking with a 5K weight in a rucksack (2 big bags of flour) - This burns up to 20% more cals than walking alone.

Following workouts from Youtube for yoga, planks, squats and stretching

Working out with a (man's) resistance band - a cheap piece of equipment which give you a huge workout. I recommend the man's one as the girl's tend to be very wussy and hard to get a decent workout from. If unsure, go to your local sports store and have a go with the ones there.
    Some suggested workouts here: http://www.teachpe.com/strengthening/resistance_bands.php

Other ideas:

Find some soft ground and run - the Couch to 5K (C25K) can help you start with this if it has been a while

There is a school of thought that encourages people to use their own bodies for resistance when exercising called Isotonics where your body is the weight you use:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344179087
    This book will give you a good intro even if you just look at the free Amazon preview pages

More resistance exercises here:
    http://goworkoutmom.com/2008/03/101-body-resistance-exercises-for-strength-training/

Best of luck and remember trying something new (and falling in a giggling heap on the ground) is beating that guy sitting on the sofa stuffing his face 10,000 times over!!
  • tas3980
    tas3980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP friends recommended to me, when I was disappointed its too hot to walk outside at the moment, Leslie Sansone... You can find her walking workouts on YouTube.

Sometimes if I want to move but don't want to watch a DVD, or YouTube clip... I just walk/jog up and down the apartment, do jumping jacks, skipping with an imaginary rope etc... Just to be active and burn :-)
  • sandygaylegunn
    sandygaylegunn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    For the morbidly obese or otherwise disabled, chair aerobics is terrific. Google chair aerobics and you will find lots of free sessions, as well as yoga and a wide variety of at-home exercise sessions. . There are lots of various exercise sessions free on tv also I like yoga. I can do stair stepping on my living room steps too. Hope some of this helps. Hugs, Sandy xoxo
  • SpiritRockBernie
    Options
    bump to get more ideas. I was thinking push ups, squats (with just both your hands straight out. anything else like cruches, etc. Thanks!
  • loveachallenge
    loveachallenge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I haven't invested in a gym for years! Who needs all that fancy crap when you can get the same results at home with your own weight. Plus I hate sharing! I invested in a treadmill, weights 5-25lbs, a bench & bar and a pull up bar.

All of these workouts sculpt your body!

Pushups
    Pullups
    squats
    lunges
    deadlifts
    bench as much weight as possible
    Insanity
    P90X
    Running - I run long distance (streets are free)
    Plank/side plank