Stretch Marks...Help

Options
I am losing weight and my stretch marks seem to be getting worse because of all the lose skin and i know it will only get worse...any ideas!!

Replies

• mamamia866
    mamamia866 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    jergens skin firming lotion has received good reviews. search for best skin firming lotions.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I am losing weight and my stretch marks seem to be getting worse because of all the lose skin and i know it will only get worse...any ideas!!

First thing to know is they will never go away. They will get less obvious with time, and sunlight helps them fade in color. Don't be fooled by the products on the market, they will not get rid of them, maybe lighten them a bit, but they are there for good.

Next, if you're worried about what someone else thinks, I can only speak for guys, but we don't really care. If it's for you, learn to accept it and still love yourself. It's not what makes you, its only a sign of the path you're been on so far. Good luck on your journey, it can be a fun one... :drinker:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    They do fade over time. You can try Mederma, it is available over-the-counter, but pretty pricey. It is for scars and stretch marks. Firming lotions will also help with the loose skin, but not the stretch marks.

The most important thing to remember is to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Cocoa butter and Shea Butters are your best moisturizers. Look for the most natural brands you can find, try beauty supply stores that sell to the public or health food stores. Check the ingredient labels, make sure they do not contain SD Alcohols. You may notice other alcohols like CETYL/STEARYL ALCOHOL, but those are not dying like the SD alcohols.

Finally, when you reach your goal weight or size, you can try a peel. Find a reputable MediSpa and have a consultation with a doctor or esthetician.

~Holly
  • gynuwyne
    gynuwyne Posts: 132
    Options
    While theres not a product out there that will get rid of stretch marks; I did discover Palmer's Cocoa Butter. I have stretch marks too and this stuff is not only a great moisturizer but it also reduces the appearance of stretch marks. Bonus: It's cheap!
  • gynuwyne
    gynuwyne Posts: 132
    Options
    That was very sweet advice & encouraging. :smile:

First thing to know is they will never go away. They will get less obvious with time, and sunlight helps them fade in color. Don't be fooled by the products on the market, they will not get rid of them, maybe lighten them a bit, but they are there for good.

Next, if you're worried about what someone else thinks, I can only speak for guys, but we don't really care. If it's for you, learn to accept it and still love yourself. It's not what makes you, its only a sign of the path you're been on so far. Good luck on your journey, it can be a fun one... :drinker:
  • frogtoestoo
    Options
    I started out at the same weight as you and have more than my share of stretch marks after all the extra weight and three kids. I exercise faithfully and have found that it does help. Your skin isn't going to "bounce back" as quickly as you lose the weight but it does slowly catch up. I joke about my "bubble wrap" belly! Exercise, build muscle and keep your skin moisturized. It does help in the long run. Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • frogtoestoo
    Options

He's right about that in general. My daughter's boyfriend calls them her "battle scars" and loves them as they are a part of her. My husband isn't "in love" with mine but does remember "who made which mark". LOVE YOURSELF is the best advice. :love:
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    Lush has this awesome body butter scrub that i use on my stomach and it's really made a difference plus you are sooooo soft after!

http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/body/body-butters/buffy

Also they have this massage bar called Therapy¿ that is supposedly good for them but i think i wanna tighten up on my own before i try that. the buffy is basically just to make you soft and exfoliate. but i think it helps, and my stomach is bbbad!!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

Sunlight does not help them fade. Please do not start tanning to get rid of stretchmarks! It is actually the exact opposite.

Stretchmarks are caused when the development of collegen is disrupted. In order to reuce, prevent or reverse stretchmarks, you must increase collegen. UVA and UVB rays destroy collegen. They may appear to "fade" but it is an illusion simply because melanin is stimulated from the sun. All it does is tan you. When the tan fades, the stretchmarks very well could be even more noticable. Over time, Melanocytes die, you could wind up with nice tan skin streaked with silvery stretchmarks because they will no longer tan.

Holly
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options

Sunlight does not help them fade. Please do not start tanning to get rid of stretchmarks! It is actually the exact opposite.

Stretchmarks are caused when the development of collegen is disrupted. In order to reuce, prevent or reverse stretchmarks, you must increase collegen. UVA and UVB rays destroy collegen. They may appear to "fade" but it is an illusion simply because melanin is stimulated from the sun. All it does is tan you. When the tan fades, the stretchmarks very well could be even more noticable. Over time, Melanocytes die, you could wind up with nice tan skin streaked with silvery stretchmarks because they will no longer tan.

Holly
    The vitamin D in the sun does help. It's also what all the chemicals that people are suggesting on here contains. You're right about the collagen, but skin that is damaged will not heal, not once it's reached that point. Over time, excessive tanning will usually only lead to two things, skin cancer and wrinkles...

I never suggested to go tanning. I think anything fake is something to stay away from.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

The vitamin D in the sun does help. It's also what all the chemicals that people are suggesting on here contains. You're right about the collagen, but skin that is damaged will not heal, not once it's reached that point. Over time, excessive tanning will usually only lead to two things, skin cancer and wrinkles...

I never suggested to go tanning. I think anything fake is something to stay away from.

I didn't mean to insinuate that you suggested tanning. In my field you would be amazed at how many people hear that the sun has one tiny, good property and start tanning to reap those benefits. I've seen it all. Tanning to cure acne, eczema, psoriasis......

It is simply not true that damaged skin will not heal. If that were true then children would not have knees. Even burn victims can find satisfaction in scar treatments. Stretchmarks, depending on the degree, can be reversed or reduced. Almost every skin problem can be healed or treated in some way. It takes time and patience, but it does happen. That is why I have a job, if it didn't work, I would have no field in which to work.