Should I go up or down? ;)

Options
Well it's been three weeks that I have been trying to keep at 1550 calories net. Going to the gym 2 or 3 times per week for two hours burning about 750 calories each time. I've gained 4lbs and gained inches every. My pants do fit "a little bit" looser but still... Now I know that at first I may gain weight, doing strength training only once per week, cardio the rest of the time. BMR 1553 TDEE 2136 if on light exercise. So, my question do I decrease my calories or increase my calories or stay the same? Feel free to tell me anything you want :) I am open to suggestions. BTW yes I know the last two days have been HORRIBLE if you look at my diary but it was a bachelorette weekend for my friend couldn't say no.

171lbs
5'5"
33 yrs old
3 kids
ummm single lol

anything else just ask hehe...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jessica

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating your calories burned at the gym? If you're relying on machine or MFP estimates you may be eating back too many exercise calories.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Water weight and glycogen gain from the exercise routine is what caused the weight gain. You body is saving resources to recover from the exercise. Stay the course. This will normalize over time. Take a set of baseline measurements. You are likely losing some fat and the measurements will reflect it. Ignore the scale for awhile.

eta: saw that you took some measurements. Pants are looser. That means you are going in the right direction. Patience grasshopper!
  • jessicah12
    jessicah12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    New Balance N4 Heart Rate Monitor, I know MFP is a little forgiving on those calories so I got my own just to be sure and wear it every time.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Water weight and glycogen gain from the exercise routine is what caused the weight gain. You body is saving resources to recover from the exercise. Stay the course. This will normalize over time. Take a set of baseline measurements. You are likely losing some fat and the measurements will reflect it. Ignore the scale for awhile.

eta: saw that you took some measurements. Pants are looser. That means you are going in the right direction. Patience grasshopper!

This. Does not sound like you are doing anything wrong and you may be a little more sensitive to water retention than others. Hang in there.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

This. Does not sound like you are doing anything wrong and you may be a little more sensitive to water retention than others. Hang in there.
    this
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options

I agree with this, too. My body rebels if I change anything for nearly a month before I see changes. It's very frustrating, but if anything it is teaching me patience!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    if your calorie burn is accurate - UP YOUR CALORIES.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I agree with this, too. My body rebels if I change anything for nearly a month before I see changes. It's very frustrating, but if anything it is teaching me patience!

I apologize in advance for being pedantic but that is not your body rebelling. That is your body adapting. Through the use of our autonomic nervous system we are incredibly adaptive on a totally unconcious level. It kinda of miraculous really the way our ANS will make adaptations!!
  • jessicah12
    jessicah12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the responses and I will continue to push forward hopefully in the next week or two I should hopefully see the scale go down. But will focus my attention on measurements for now :) Thanks again!