I am Scared of Weight Lifting

Options
I am now about half way through my journey to lose 65 pounds and take my life back. I have been having great success counting calories and doing cardio to maintain a deficit. My gut has certainly gone down but I still look and feel super soft.

I know that I need to lift weights to change that but I am scared to do it. I don't know what to do to be successful. I don't know how to lift weights. I have read so many different thoughts about what I should do. How do I learn to do it right?

I am confused about whether I need to maintain a calorie deficit if I am lifting. How do I know what my deficit is if my HRM is not accurate? I do not want to lose the mojo that I have going on right now. Please help me understand. I have read about the New Rules of Weightlifting, 5x5, Body for Life etc.

I don't know that I would have success trying to follow some structured diet like BFL eating six times a day. I don't see that working in my schedule. I want to keep using MFP.

Please make suggestions. Thank you

Replies

• kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    New Rules is an excellent starting point.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Check this out and buy the book mentioned. Start light and work your way up. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    First off, just stop worrying about it so much. :)
    Don't stress over all the aspects all at once. Just get in there and start slow. If you are having trouble understanding the exercises, youtube comes in handy and usually there are staff members or other gym members who would be happy to explain something if you ask. Slowely tweak your diet to work with your routine but don't worry too much about completely changing it all at once. Once you get used to the weight routine and more comfortable with it then you can make more changes. I've read New rules and started with those routines when I got serious about weight lifting. I didn't stick with it too long since I was pretty familiar with weights already but it is a good starting point.
    Goodluck. :) Don't be afraid to ask for help at your gym.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    find a copy of "Body For Life" by Bill Phillips.
    It will give you what you need to get started. And don't be afraid....it's something you can and should do for your long term health. Strength, flexibility, and bone strengthening are all benefits of weight lifting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club! First off congrats on your progress so far. The hardest thing is always getting started, and it looks like you're fully on your way. Second, no reason to be scared! Weight lifting is going to be the easy part!

Totally agree that you should pick up a copy of one of the New Rules books. Whether or not you follow their exact program, they contain a wealth of knowledge and information on different exercises and their benefits. I suggest you read the book thru before you try anything.

Next step is to get a PT at the gym. Sign up for a few sessions for a month and no matter what program he she wants to put you on, make sure they show you how to properly use the equipment and how to do the basic exercise you will do in either, Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or New Rules. After you've gotten your feet wet, you can decide for yourself if you want to continue with the trainer or not.

Third, eat whatever method you want to eat. You don't have to switch to 6 meals a day, or go 1 meal a day and intermittent fasting, or anything else. There are many ways to get this done so if you've got a eating schedule that works for you, stick with it until YOU decide to make a change. DO make sure you're getting adequate protein tho.

Lastly, If you still have 30 pounds to lose, maintain your calorie deficit. After a couple of months of lifting you'll start to get some strength under you, you should keep a deficit but it should be a smaller deficit. For myself I went from 900 calorie deficit to 400, and the softness when away. I've lost less weight over the last 3 months, but I look worlds better.

Good luck!
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Walk up to the counter at they Gym and say the following words to the member of staff standing there;

"I want to start weight training. I have no clue what to do. Can somebody help me please"

Come back here and post again if this doesn't work to your liking :wink:
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    You've read about New Rules, but have you read it? It's about $10 on Amazon and worth it for a newbie.

You can continue a deficit, albeit a fairly smallish one. You don't have to eat six times a day, or three times a day.....just make sure you get plenty of protein and fat in your diet.

Google Rippetoe on youtube for demonstrations of how to do the moves.

Good luck.
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Lifting is fun.

Start with hand weights...or gallon jugs filled with water.

The more lean muscle you have the more calories you burn while doing NOTHING. (and that's awesome!) :smile:

You don't even need weights to build muscle....try some push ups to start. Remember to look straight down, keeping your neck in alignment with your spin.

You CAN do it! And it'll feel great to get stronger!
    Hugs!!