5 hour fast?

Options
Does anyone on here eat 5 hours a day and fast for 19 hours? Yes, getting all your calories in during that 5 hour time frame? Just wondering....

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Starvation Mode!!!!!!!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Not quite. I eat 2/3 of my calories between 6:30 & 9:30 pm, which is about 2100 - 2200.

Protein shake in the morning after the 5 am work out & about 800 calories mid day. Works for me. I find if I save all my calories for the evening it's a bit much for me.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Starvation Mode!!!!!!!

Bwahaha
  • Acg67
    Options
    Not quite. I eat 2/3 of my calories between 6:30 & 9:30 pm, which is about 2100 - 2200.

Protein shake in the morning after the 5 am work out & about 800 calories mid day. Works for me. I find if I save all my calories for the evening it's a bit much for me.

You are not stoking your metabolic fire, which leads to sub optimal weight loss. I would suggest eating something every 10-15 min to maximize your metabolism
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

You are not stoking your metabolic fire, which leads to sub optimal weight loss. I would suggest eating something every 10-15 min to maximize your metabolism

Noted. Does a beer every 10-15mins work just as well? I can handle that.
  • TallCurvyMuscles
    Options
    I say its your body, experiment. You only live once!
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Starvation Mode!!!!!!!

Not sure if sarcastic or ignorant.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I eat only between the hours of 11a and 7p. I begin eating that late in the morning because A) I'm not hungry in the morning and B) if I do eat, I become ravenous throughout the day. I've never been a breakfast person so this works for me. I still drink my green tea in the morning, but I just won't eat.

And don't be put off what people say on here. You find what works for you and stick with it. Everyone has an opinion and no one is an expert.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    :noway:

Eat whenever you want...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Noted. Does a beer every 10-15mins work just as well? I can handle that.

and yes....
  • MangyAngy
    Options
    I agree about the starvation mode. What you're doing by eating this way is sending signals to your body that you will only get to eat at certain times. Your body reacts by storing fat because it thinks it will only get food at these times. Do yourself a favor and eat several small meals and snacks everyday. This will lead to optimal (and healthy) weight loss!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I agree about the starvation mode. What you're doing by eating this way is sending signals to your body that you will only get to eat at certain times. Your body reacts by storing fat because it thinks it will only get food at these times. Do yourself a favor and eat several small meals and snacks everyday. This will lead to optimal (and healthy) weight loss!

Short term fasting does not slow down metabolism. Net fat storage does not occur in a calorie deficit.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

The person who mentioned starvation mode was making a joke. I wouldn't freely admit to believing that same joke, that's embarrassing.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Uh, no. I have too much going on with three kids under 4, school, a 3 month old puppy, a house to clean, food to cook, a husband, etc. There's no way I could get through everything without eating every few hours. Plus, my stomach can't hold a day's worth of food all at once, I'd probably get crazy hungry while the rest of my family ate meals, and I'm trying to set a good, healthy example for my kids. That means modeling healthy eating habits that they can mirror.
  • webdaughter
    webdaughter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There is a fairly poplular group called Fast-5. Where you eat all your caloires in any 5 hour time period during the day you want to and then don't eat anything for 19 hours. It touts that it should help with controling your blood sugar and help with hypothyroidisim.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Starvation Mode!!!!!!!

Have an inkling that it's sarcastic...just from what I have seen elsewhere!
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

*Shake my head*

It takes much longer than that to go into "starvation" mode. Your body doesn't start storing fat after not getting food for a few hours.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options

*Shake my head*

It takes much longer than that to go into "starvation" mode. Your body doesn't start storing fat after not getting food for a few hours.

*Shake my head harder than you*

It takes much longer than that to go into "starvation" mode. Your body doesn't start "STARVING" until you have not had food for "Weeks" along with depleting existing fat reserves.

You can NOT store fat by not eating.

Fat is stored when insulin takes excess blood glucose and further breaks it down to triglycerides that can penetrate the cell wall barrier. In order to have excess blood glucose, you must EAT foods that are digested into blood glucose.

By not eating, aka "starving", you enter a state called Ketosis, also known as fat-burning-mode.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

*Shake my head*

It takes much longer than that to go into "starvation" mode. Your body doesn't start "STARVING" until you have not had food for "Weeks" along with depleting existing fat reserves.

Fat is stored when insulin takes excess blood glucose and further breaks it down to triglycerides that can penetrate the cell wall barrier. In order to have excess blood glucose, you must EAT foods that are digested into blood glucose.

By not eating, aka "starving", you enter a state called Ketosis, also known as fat-burning-mode.

I can't figure out if you're arguing with me or the person I quoted, but if me, I have nothing to respond to since you didn't contradict anything that I posted...

Edit: Re-reading this post, I honestly can't figure out what you're even talking about...
  • Acg67
    Options

*Shake my head*

Lol