My Realization...

Options
Lisa0711
Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
For some reason today as I was sitting here at the computer, it just hit me and I realized a few important things:

OK, I've been working on my weight loss for over a year and a half and haven't had too much success (for the long peroid of time compared to how overweight I started out..). I guess it's all due to the fact that yeah, I was willing to give up SOME things to lose weight, but I wasn't willing to make all the necessary sacrifices to reach my goals.
I would just set far fetched goals and not really do anything differently to get to them.
Not this time...

I've been working harder for the past week, and I know a week isn't much, but it was enough to make me realize that I really can do this, and I can do it much faster than I had thought.
I lost 3 pounds in a week cutting out a few simple things. And yeah, it was really hard to do, but I did it and I can dontinue to do it, and continue to get good results! I know this now!

For some reason, before I realized what I really am capable of, I just HOPED I would reach my goals. Now I KNOW (not only that I can), but that I WILL reach my goals.

So, the real reason I wrote this was to encourage people to push themselves. Try something you didn't think you could do, or something you thought would be too hard just to prove to yourself you can do it. You don't have to do it forever, but it's really nice to prove to yourself that you are stronger than you thought. You might just find out a little more about yourself than you knew before... or maybe come to a realization like I did.

It's hard to explain, but it all clicks in my head now. I just feel so much better/excited about the road ahead of me!

Thanks for reading all that! lol:happy:

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Great job,,, so what was the blankie you were holding on to? Soda? Lattes?

It doesn't take much,,, just everything. :laugh:
  • allisontaylor
    Options
    The roadblock to my success is my weekend binges. I eat like a saint all week long, then by eating out/having a couple of drinks/having desert - I end up blowing the weekends. And usually Friday, Saturday, and Sundays! Well, this past weekend, my hubby and I had a child-free date Friday - and I succeeded in staying with-in my calories! No beer at the bar (just water), with salad for dinner. AND I still had an awesome time - cause it is really the company of my husband that makes the date NOT the calories I consume :). However, Saturday and Sunday were back to my usual binging. We had a Halloween party Saturday (candy corn, brownies, cocktails, lemon cake, chips/bread and dip...). I did squeeze in a 30 min. kickboxing workout, and Saturday is usually a no-exercise day, but it helped a little. Then Sunday, I continued with my poor eating. I did a really hard trail run, so I wasn't as bad on going over, but it still was excessive. So.....I too am realizing that I cannot allow every weekend day to be a "cheat" day, and that it is in fact true that if we keep taking the same actions, we'll keep getting the same results. With Halloween this weekend, I'll try to be a little forgiving, but I know I've got to keep at the calorie control ALL week long to see the results I desire! I am proud of my Friday night success, and look forward to the feeling of success in more weekend days to come!
  • Lisa0711
    Options
    Casper: I just wasn't willing to give up my treats, but having a cheat meal once a week and something to look forward to helps me not want to stray from my diet until I have a scheduled time to.. if that makes sense.. lol

Allison: Yeah, weekends were a biggie for me too. When I'm by myself, I can do SO good, but when I'm around others I want to eat what they're eating. But I'm just going to take it a day at a time, and not eat treats but for one meal a week. I think I can handle that much better than the all or nothing mentality, or even the moderation one. Now that I realize I can do it, I'll just have something to look forward to one day on the weekends instead of eating a treat daily and going over (drinking sweet tea kills me on calories, and it's my favorite:sad:). For me, it's much more motivational to do the "cheat meal" thing.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It's hard coming to these realizations ... My weekness is booze! I'm not an alchy! but I eat pretty well, not much binging or cheating, but booze is what holds me back 10 fold! So I try to go dry , then it's "Oh wait, halloween is next weekend" "Concert in three weeks" and you know you'll be hitting the sauce! How does one just stay away from it right?!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Mine was my snacks. I did great at meals but snacked on sugary snacks.
    Now i'm on day 7 of only 1 square of dark chocolate a day.
  • jdp21
    jdp21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Blondie, that's so funny! I'm going through the same thing as you! Like to a T. Haha. I was never willing to give up all these things, and then I recently decided to try it, and I've been working hard, and I lost 3 lbs in a week, too! Congrats! It's so much easier than we thought, eh? Haha.
  • Lisa0711
    Options
    Blondie, that's so funny! I'm going through the same thing as you! Like to a T. Haha. I was never willing to give up all these things, and then I recently decided to try it, and I've been working hard, and I lost 3 lbs in a week, too! Congrats! It's so much easier than we thought, eh? Haha.

Glad someone else knows what I'm talking about! It really is funny, cause I didn't think I could go without those things for some reason, now they don't even matter because my goal is in such plain sight and I know what I have to do to get there and I'm willing to let those things go now. I'm just happy I realized that I can do this and it's so much easier to say no to those things now... Congrats to you too!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, this way is the only way. You are making changes a bit at a time and having an epiphany........sorta like talk therapy. No one can make you 'get it' it has to just come to you.

Congratulations on your success!:flowerforyou:
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Good realization.

That's what I do too. I give myself 1 day off on saturdays when I'm off diet. But on that day, I still count calories and I still eat my calories within my weekly range. Having 1 day off gives me something to look forward too, and me makes me realize that I'm not dieting forever. And then I don't really gain any weight because I keep within my weekly calories, and I don't feel deprived. When the week starts again, I pump myself up to start working out again.

Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!