The Air Up There

Options
I have either been around or worked in gyms for about 7 years. There's a reoccurring blunder I would like to address and that's the fact that people don't seem to realize that they are not working out properly. I love working out on the StairMaster and I notice the person next to me is almost always hunched over the top, going at high speeds. I'm a massage therapist and I can tell you that if you're working out in that position, you are reeking havoc on your lumbar area. There is no support for your lower back at all, not to mention you won't find any air down over the top of the StairMaster. I've also seen women hold the lower part of the StairMaster bar and lock their elbows while climbing. This can cause carpel tunnel syndrome. Your neck is at an odd angle while you have no joint movement in your elbows.
I know that people are concerned about burning calories, so they set it at high speed, but then, they can't keep up.They hang or lock their elbows and let their legs do the work.You are NOT getting the workout you think you are if you do this. The proper way to do any cardio is to keep your head up, chest high, shoulders rolled back, back straight, and lengthen through your crown keeping your neck up. The bar is there to keep you stabilized, so just rest your hands gently and comfortably. This insures that your body gets the air it needs and keeps your body and core in line. If the speed is too high to keep up, lower it! You will get to a point (if you keep up with it) where you can handle higher speeds, I promise!
If you are on the treadmill and you have to hold on to that bar while walking, you're not burning the calories you think you are. Incline is great for burning calories, but try letting go of that bar and reducing the speed. You will be surprised by the result. I was. You will get more of a burn and your body has to react to balance itself. Try a pace of 3.8 with 7.0 incline and be aware of your posture! Your body will thank you if you give it what it needs! Happy heart rates everyone!
Angel