too far below calorie guideline?

Options
I'm going to start MFP again (done it before but gave up). Today I've worked out a menu with a protein shake for breakfast, coleslaw and lean ham for lunch, raw nuts and fruit through the day, and hten a nother protein shake for tea. This only ends up being 1200 calories, when MFP has set 1900 (cause I'm ridiculously overweight). Is it a bad idea to go so far beneath the guideline?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bad idea to eat protein shakes instead of proper food. You can get plenty of protein from a normal diet... And 1900 cals gives you plenty of choices!

You nee to make sustainable lifestyle changes... And replacement shakes aren't something you will drink for ever....
  • SisterMidnight
    Options
    yes, you are right about not relying on protein shakes, I just wanted to 'kick start' things initially, I went to see the dietician at the health centre who advised me not to go into 'starvation mode' with too few calories, but I'm not sure I'm buying that...
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is real if you are consistently under your daily calories aka consistently starving yourself which it sounds like your plan is (I may be wrong but that's what it appears from what you've wrote). Look at my diary, I usually go well beyond my protein, usually in the 100-130 range WITHOUT protein shakes. I honestly think protein shakes should only be used as a supplement, not as a meal replacement.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It's not good to go below the calorie schedule that's set up for you because it makes sure you get enough nutrition. My nutritionist doesn't even like it when I go below by 100 calories, I don't know what she would say about a 700 calorie deficit. Try to eat all your calories, you will lose faster. I aim at about a pound a week even though it will take me longer. You will probably lose faster at the beginning due to having a lot of weight to lose, but it will slow down eventually.