I do girly cardio BUT...

Options
i need to learn something new today so i'm asking for actual answers!
what is the difference between the pretty coloured hand weights and the metal dumbbells other than aesthetics?

i have been doing jillian micheals 30day shred with a round of ripped in 30 in between, i'm on the second round of 30ds and find the 3lbs that were soo hard at first to be to easy, so i bought some 5lbs. the first set were dark blue, new set is metal dumbbells and they feel heavier than the 5lbs hand weights that i looked at (part of why i bought them!). is there actually a difference or is it just looks?

Replies

• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    there is weights under 10lbs!!!??? wtf
    If you want to know how much a weight weights put it on your scale.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I find some of the metal ones to be harder on my hands. For instance, doing a pushup into a row is a lot less pleasant on my hands when I'm balanced on the metal dumbbells.
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I find some of the metal ones to be harder on my hands. For instance, doing a pushup into a row is a lot less pleasant on my hands when I'm balanced on the metal dumbbells.

this is one thing i was wondering about, thank you!
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    there is weights under 10lbs!!!??? wtf
    If you want to know how much a weight weights put it on your scale.

haha yes! they hide in walmart with all the gimme gadgets and yoga 'gear'!! lol, once upon a time this would have been me but unfortunately a bad back and neck have caused me to start from the bottom :( but hey any start is good and progress is always better! those 10+ lbs ones are on the list for a little later!!!
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    They make neoprene dumbbells up to 15 lbs. (maybe more, but that's the highest I've found). You can usually find them at a sporting goods store. I don't like the metal dumb bells either and have to wear gloves when I use them. I'm going to ask for an adjustable set of weights for Christmas this year. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Just a random thought, but I've seen some dumbbells packaged together as (not sure of the exact wording) "Five Pound Dumbbells," where five pounds was the total weight of both, not two five pounders. Could that maybe be the case?
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    metal is not heavier (the 5 pound is a 5 no matter which), the pretty ones are easier on your hands though.