Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Protein

amberc1982
amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
edited 4:12AM in Food and Nutrition
Hey everyone. I have read and heard that your supposed to drink a protein drink after working out. Is this true? If so can I eat something high in protein instead like peanut butter or does it need to be a protein drink? Thanks for all your help. :happy:

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Protein after exercise is recommended for people who do a heavy mass-building weights workout. What kind of workout are you doing?

BTW - Peanut butter isn't really that high in protein.
    Peanut butter - Chunk style, without salt, 2 tbsp 188 calories 8 protein 16 fat

Tuna,,, now that's the stuff :smile: :
    Kroger - Chunk Light Tuna In Water, 1 container (5 oz. (about 1/4 cup) ea.) 150 calories 33 protein 1 fat
  • from what I understand......Protein (any source) after working out helps your muscles recover. I always follow my workout or run with a protein~something, Light string cheese, protein bar, hard boiled egg white. Hopefully someone else has some more scientific explaination for you. Keep up the good work! :happy:
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Protein after exercise is recommended for people who do a heavy mass-building weights workout. What kind of workout are you doing?

BTW - Peanut butter isn't really that high in protein.
    Peanut butter - Chunk style, without salt, 2 tbsp 188 calories 8 protein 16 fat

Tuna,,, now that's the stuff :smile: :
    Kroger - Chunk Light Tuna In Water, 1 container (5 oz. (about 1/4 cup) ea.) 150 calories 33 protein 1 fat

Okay I wasn't sure about the Peanut Butter. I don't eat it very often and haven't looked at the label. I had just heard that it was good for the protein.

I am only walking/running on my treadclimber 3 times a week and small weights 2 times a week.

Thank you for the information. I didn't want to use those calories on a protein drink if I didn't need to. :happy:
  • number7
    number7 Posts: 10 Member
    Protein supplements like the drinks are good for recovery and mass building especially after endurance or strength training, especially because they are so concentrated and have purer forms of protein than regular food. For light cardio, regular protein from your every day diet is probably sufficient.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    I always have a small amount of protein after working out, but it ties into what I have with breakfast. I work out in the morning so I always eat an apple (carbs) after waking up then workout within 20-30 min, after working out I usually have a Thomas brand Light english muffin - so yummy and only 100 calories and 8 grams of fiber!- with one egg and a half slice of cheese with a glass of skim milk. That finishes off my breakfast and gives me extra protein to help my muscles repair and recover.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    I need way more protien in my diet, I'm allergic to nuts! and with Tuna, I only eat it with Mayo (sammy) so any other suggestions on getting more protien (As i'm TRYING to pry my face away from banana chips! ):explode:
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    I need way more protien in my diet, I'm allergic to nuts! and with Tuna, I only eat it with Mayo (sammy) so any other suggestions on getting more protien (As i'm TRYING to pry my face away from banana chips! ):explode:
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    My husband teaches a nutrition class at the local college. He just read the latest research on protein consumption on Science Daily web site. Studies suggest that protein should be consumed in moderate amounts throughout the day. No more than 30 grams at a time is necessary. I was searching this site to find out the protein content of basic foods so I can plan my daily meals to be more balanced than they are. One thing we do to add protein and reduce calories on our salad is use low-fat cottage cheese in place of salad dressing, adding fresh herbs for extra zest.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    I've heard that the best recovery drink is actually milk (with 1 tsp of chocolate syrup). It's the right ratio of protein and carbs.
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    I, too, always eat protein after a work out. (Carbs before workout and protein after). I usually work out in the mornings, so I'd have eggs and turkey bacon or an english muffin w/ PB&J...oh and a lot of milk in the morning, too :smile:
This discussion has been closed.