If you saw a ten year old girl with an iPhone....

Options

Replies

• Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    This is my rant ... it may not be a popular opinion but its my opinion :)

I don't have children but I avoid all "family" oriented places like the plague because kids today are so horrific! I'm not saying all kids but 99.9% of them. People (who don't know me well) think I'm a snob because I'll only eat at fine dining type restaurants or sit in first class on airplanes but its really because I'm avoiding today's generation of children. If a family is somehow eating at a nice restaurant and is sat next to me, I'll ask to be moved asap. I do the same thing in hotels. It would be nice not to be so particular all the time, but I have to be. The only way to avoid these horrible children is to eat, stay, and play at uber high-end establishments. Even our movie theater has a VIP section, where you have to be 21 or older; they serve alcohol and have nice big recliner seats! We seem to never run into children there. And there is a local restaurant that only allows children older than 13 and my husband and I patron it all the time! I constantly send emails and letters praising their wise decision. The kid free restaurant is packed with people who want to eat in peace and actually enjoy their food!

Parents today seem so stressed and overwhelmed; its insane. I run at a track sometimes and see these miserable parents sitting through soccer practice, baseball, etc. and its depressing. And then they take their kids out in public and don't discipline them AT ALL. The kids are loud, rude, obnoxious, and the parents could care less. How about a "please be quiet, honey" once in awhile?!? But I never hear parents trying to control their children.

The best decision I ever made in my entire life, is to not have children. I have a husband I love and three beautiful dogs who were rescues. And we live our life wonderfully stress free & happy, in peace and quiet, with other like minded adults!!!!!!

HOLY CRAP!!!! I'm no kid person but you are a freaking nut job. Seriously. I bet your nieces and nephews absolutely despise you. Props to you for being honest but I've never seen such demonizing to a huge portion of humanity.
  • cbaac03
    cbaac03 Posts: 152
    Options

I don't have children but I avoid all "family" oriented places like the plague because kids today are so horrific! I'm not saying all kids but 99.9% of them. People (who don't know me well) think I'm a snob because I'll only eat at fine dining type restaurants or sit in first class on airplanes but its really because I'm avoiding today's generation of children. If a family is somehow eating at a nice restaurant and is sat next to me, I'll ask to be moved asap. I do the same thing in hotels. It would be nice not to be so particular all the time, but I have to be. The only way to avoid these horrible children is to eat, stay, and play at uber high-end establishments. Even our movie theater has a VIP section, where you have to be 21 or older; they serve alcohol and have nice big recliner seats! We seem to never run into children there. And there is a local restaurant that only allows children older than 13 and my husband and I patron it all the time! I constantly send emails and letters praising their wise decision. The kid free restaurant is packed with people who want to eat in peace and actually enjoy their food!

Parents today seem so stressed and overwhelmed; its insane. I run at a track sometimes and see these miserable parents sitting through soccer practice, baseball, etc. and its depressing. And then they take their kids out in public and don't discipline them AT ALL. The kids are loud, rude, obnoxious, and the parents could care less. How about a "please be quiet, honey" once in awhile?!? But I never hear parents trying to control their children.

The best decision I ever made in my entire life, is to not have children. I have a husband I love and three beautiful dogs who were rescues. And we live our life wonderfully stress free & happy, in peace and quiet, with other like minded adults!!!!!!

WOW!! Really?? I read this a couple of times thinking I missed something. I was thinking "where is this lady from...hell?" But I see (According to your profile) you're actually very close to me. I know people who don't want kids but I've never heard anyone talk about children like that before. It's shocking. But...at least you're honest...and steering clear from most children...
  • BabyLeila23
    Options
    *Rolls eyes at parents*
  • BabyLeila23
    Options

FYI....It's not the kid's fault. That's called being a bad parent. Not all kids are like that. It sounds to me like you are missing out on the love and support of your family. But if you feel this strong about the situation I highly applaud your decision for not having kids.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    It's not the kids fault at all....its whoever got them an expensive iphone

I also really do wonder how safe it is to have a 10 year old carry an expensive phone. If I were a thief, I'd follow your kid around to where I can yank it from him....just saying. Its an ugly world.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Yes. Kids these days are bad because people object to beating your kids. That's it.

I forgot discipline = violence. Thanks for reminding me. Sorry, parents, for objecting to your laying your hand on a littler person. I promise not to do it again. After all, you gave birth to the child so clearly you have a right to do anything you like to them, right? I mean, everyone knows kids don't deserve respect.

Wow, it's going to turn into a spanking debate? Nice. Don't judge my parenting and I won't judge your's.

I can't believe that my comment has led to this.

The situation was, right in the middle of pike place market, a parent smacked a kid so hard across the face, everyone around stopped in their tracks. The parent was yelling "what the **** is wrong with you?!?!?" The kid was under ten. The person who stood up to the parent was a public employee, who yelled at the parent "What the **** is wrong with yoU?! You don't hit your kid like that!" Everyone around applauded the employee.

No, it wasn't calling CPS, but that kid experienced perhaps for the first time that this treatment wasnt ok. I hope it sparked a spirit of rebellion in that kid and gave that kid hope.

For the record, I think if you have to hit your kid to discipline them, it's because you aren't doing your job in the love department and perhaps you should take a parenting class. That's my honest opinion. Not passing judgement on anyone ;) It's just my "preference" that people who constantly tell their kids to not hit other kids at school or on the playground or in the backseat of the car MODEL how to use your words and not your fists.
  • CelestinoZ
    Options
    I wouldn't think much of it, I've seen 6 year olds who have an IPhone. And besides you can get a refurbished Iphone 4 for $30. It isn't as big of a deal from when they first came out because you can just buy a older generation IPhone. I might take issue if a parent gave they child an IPhone 4S, or the IPhone 5(when it comes out), those are definatley too expensive for a child to be toting around.
  • marktonk
    marktonk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just bought my 8 year old daughter an Iphone 4 today, I am a single dad and I bought it based on the Facetime function so I can see her when I call her when she is at her moms. She is absolutely my life and we live too far apart to see each other every day. Best $100 I've spent! I also bought my 18 year old daughter and my 61 year old mother one as well, I love for my family to keep in touch! BTW I read the rest of this post and I will not lower myself to judge anyone, but really??? sounded almost like stories of segregation....restaurants with no kids, movie theaters..... scary stuff..... God bless...
  • andrewlazenby
    Options

I also really do wonder how safe it is to have a 10 year old carry an expensive phone. If I were a thief, I'd follow your kid around to where I can yank it from him....just saying. Its an ugly world.

They are not that expensive. Actually pretty cheap considering what they can do. If it got stolen? Lock that one down, do a find phone, stop service on it and likely as not, buy him a new one...
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

so no Game Boy, PSP etc...for kids either? dont want to be your kid! :)
  • Fieldsy
    Options

Gameboy doesnt have internet (unless you fix settings) and a monthly payment.
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    There is no reason for an iphone, you can get a cheap prepaid. That is just my honest opinion.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options

Guess I am the worst parent ever because my kids have no portable gaming toys. I prefer that they learn to speak with other people and behave themselves without having to be distracted with flashing light and sounds.
  • Fieldsy
    Options

Guess I am the worst parent ever because my kids have no portable gaming toys. I prefer that they learn to speak with other people and behave themselves without having to be distracted with flashing light and sounds.

Do they have the misery of being active too?
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

Gameboy doesnt have internet (unless you fix settings) and a monthly payment.

your point was you wouldnt want him having an expensive phone because a thief would target him. Game Boy and PSP cost about the same and probably have a higher resale value since they are harder to track.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

so your kids wouldnt be able to learn to speak with other people or behave w/o "flashing lights" if they had a portable gaming system? thats sad.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    I didnt realize we had so many luddites on here. :)
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I use to be pretty anti kids having cell phones... until I became a parent and realized how convenient it would be if my son when he was older got lost or needed to you know... dial 911...

What kind of device really doesnt matter. The facetime app alone on iphones are worth the price. Plus you can have a lot of parental control devices if the parent is at all educated about the damned thing.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options

so your kids wouldnt be able to learn to speak with other people or behave w/o "flashing lights" if they had a portable gaming system? thats sad.

unfortunately it seems that way. Kids stand there staring at screens all day long. They tag along behind a parent with their electronic devices in hand, barely talking to other kids at family functions because they "just have to finish this game." Parents are getting just as bad. I go to my kids' swimming lessons, soccer games, etc. and the parents barely look up from their iphones, ipads, and whatever else. God forbid they actually watch their kid. I'm not anti techology but I hate that its in every single aspect of life. I think it contributes to making lazy, antisocial children.
  • Fieldsy
    Options

unfortunately it seems that way. Kids stand there staring at screens all day long. They tag along behind a parent with their electronic devices in hand, barely talking to other kids at family functions because they "just have to finish this game." Parents are getting just as bad. I go to my kids' swimming lessons, soccer games, etc. and the parents barely look up from their iphones, ipads, and whatever else. God forbid they actually watch their kid. I'm not anti techology but I hate that its in every single aspect of life. I think it contributes to making lazy, antisocial children.

I see this all of the time. Earlier I saw a kid riding on his bike looking at his iphone/smart phone. He was probably 10-12 years old. Its amazing.