Having a Tough Time

Options
today is my daughter's birthday. i forgot we'd be having pizza for supper so i had an egg salad sammich this morning as well as some pickled eggs. i work the night shift and sleep during the day. i thought it would be no big deal but once i added the piece of icecream cake to my calories, i was really left with no alternative but to forego the pizza. it wasn't home made pizza, it was ordered because that's what the family likes. but it was and is my favourite food.

just having a really rough moment because as soon as i got to work they needed me in the emergency department. and whenever i do my job well in instances like that, i really want a reward. but i don't have a lot of people to pat me on the back and say, good job. and the vending machines are right there *points out office window to monster machines across the hall* and the change for them is right there *points to the desk drawer next to her chair*

i'm going to take a walk and call it a patrol and hope the cravings and the itch to fulfill the bad habit goes away before i get back. or maybe they'll call me into emerg. again and i can do some more good stuff. that would be a good reward.

mew.

((sorry, should have posted this in motivation and support section, just realized))

Replies

• vikkijaye
    vikkijaye Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! I know how bad it is sometimes wanting to just snack but you will regret it!
  • krystymc
    krystymc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    it's true. i would *sighs* and i told myself, listen, you gave birth to a kid at home, nine pounds, no drugs. you can do anything.

i can beat a stupid snack habit...i can. honest...
  • suzesymon
    suzesymon Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it helps me to work out just exactly how long I'd have to work out to work off that vending machine snack.... Is an hour on the treadmill worth 2 minutes of snack food?
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    * Pats krystymc on the back and says "that was a good job in there buddy". I especially liked the part where you picked up that guy's eyeball off the floor, calmly dusted it off on your lapel, and popped it right back into his socket. ;-p

But seriously, this is a tough one and those machines are a problem. I used to deal with them by swapping another habit for the habit of visiting them. E.g. You take the money you would have spent, double it, and put it into your 'jewelry' or 'perfume' or 'massage' fund instead. Things for you that you might not usually treat yourself with, and then munch down a whole punned of blueberries instead. Sugar is addictive and once you break the cycle, addiction and habit of visiting the machine, it does get easier.

Gosh I hope it works for you. Best wishes xx
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    When I want to eat something I know isn't healthy, I log it first before I make the decision to eat it. Looking at those horrible numbers usually gives me the motivation to stay away from the off-limits treat. Then I make a mental note to indulge in that food on my "free day."
  • katielangley
    katielangley Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have had a really bad weekend, the worst since I stated on MFP.. I have been crazing everything bad, and I do not keep it at my house, so it makes it easier, however I went there the past 2 days....ugh! We can't keep doing this to ourselves, we have to say NO, I can not do this.... We can do this, we have go to do this! Hang in there, you did the right thing by going for a walk:) Drink some water, find some fruit or a mint to put in your mouth, that helps!!!
  • krystymc
    krystymc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    thank you all very much!

i might break down and have the apple meant for my midnight lunch as my break instead. that way i'm yeah, giving in, but giving in healthy like. that should be okay. i'll feel like "hey here's your reward!' but i won't hate myself for having an apple, right??
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yeah... And don't forget to put the candy money you saved x 2 into your 'some nice reward for me' jar. In a coupl of weeks you'll have a new pair of shoes, or a bangle, or a he scent you haven't tried... Or...;-p
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eating chocolate WONT make you feel better... it will momentarlity distract you from the feeling that noone appreicates what you have done... but it doesnt appreciate what you have done either, so dont eat it!!!!
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Food won't help you feel better - try not to think of food as a reward. It can be really challenging - I know! Try to distract yourself and be proud of yourself when you get past the temptation!