Does it matter if you not getting enough cals in, in a day?

Options
I need to loose 90lbs total. Im exercising 6 days a week sometimes 2x a day. Seems like the weight would just melt off, right? Im taking one day at a time with this program. Anyways some days I get a red note at the bottom of the screen (your eating too few cals, try to eat atleast 1200 cals a day). Does this 1200 number really matter? Im usually around 1000 to 1100 cals. Any ideas on this?
thanks

Replies

• JDMRoma
    JDMRoma Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes if you dont eat enough calories your body will go into starvation mode and try to hang on to everything including fat ! So I would try to increase a few hundred calories for a few weeks and see what happens. Are you following a nutrition guide and what workout program are you using ?exercising 2 times a day your burning alot of calories....1000 to 1100 seems very low !
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you're working out that much you need to eat at least half ypur workout calories back, or manually change your settings.

i did the latter and factored my workouts in my calorie goal.so since my calorie goal (i set it at 1750 calories to lose) has factored 4-6 hours of workout in there, any extra workouts i will eat half the calories back.

that's been working for me.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I had an issue losing despite eating under my net calories every day while working out. I've begun to have 2 days low calorie, one day high calorie (about 20-30% over my net) and one day right at net calories. Today I have dropped to my lowest weight since I've been on MFP! This really works to cycle your calories so that you are under for the week overall, but over on some days so that your metabolism keeps revving.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    if you are;

tireder than usual
    sluggish
    Can't focus as much as you used to
    your stamina is getting worse
    shaky (er)
    feel faint
    having severe hunger pains.

Eat more.

If your body is happy, then you're fine. It really really depends in your height/weight, weight loss goal.

There are plenty of times when I eat well under 1200 and feel just fine, and just fine the next day.

Seeing that you're looking to lose 90 lbs, you need to eat more.

If your body doesn't get what it needs, it will go into starvation mode and you'll lose muscle mass.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yes it matters, your body needs fuel to properly function. I don't buy into starvation mode (anorexics anyone?) but if you don't eat enough your body will take from its stores and not just fat. Your hair can start to fall out, your bones become weak, organs are weakened and may fail, etc. While eating 1000-1100 calories a day may be okay if you lead a sedentary lifestyle, eating that little and exercising 6 days a week 2x a day on top of that is very dangerous. I highly recommend speaking to a doctor and/or nutritionist before you continue like this.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Things I have read by doctors say 1000 is low, but acceptable. Basically, if you feel physically fine, you probably don't need to worry about it. Your body will let you know if you aren't getting enough calories. For me, I usually end up finishing my day under 1000 calories because I'm usually not hungry enough to consume that many calories (working out usually kills my appetite) and I've been feeling fine and losing weight. If you're really worried about it though, you can check with your physician.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

If your body doesn't get what it needs, it will go into starvation mode and you'll lose muscle mass.

to be fair, there's going to be a certain amount of loss of muscle mass regardless, since eating below your maintenance calories signals a lack in resources to your body.

the best way to preserve as much muscle mass as possible while losing weight is eating good protein AND weightlifting, but even that doesn't guarantee that your body wont use some of your muscle as fuel. for instance, 10% of what i've lost has been from muscle and that's happened even though i regularly lift heavy 3 days a week and eat 90-130 g of protein a day
  • jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Options
    I am just new to this site but I have heard numerous people tell me that there is alot of controversey about whether to pay attention to net cals eaten or actual calories eaten. The majority that I have talked to pay attention to the actual calories eaten. I have been on Dr. Oz's "Move It and Lose It" website last winter and they did not figure net calories. Calories In and Calories Burned is all you need to worry about. I would use your actual calories. Again this is my first week and Tuesday I will weigh my self for the first time being on this site so I guess that will let me know if I am doing this right. Good luck to you. :smile:
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I am just new to this site but I have heard numerous people tell me that there is alot of controversey about whether to pay attention to net cals eaten or actual calories eaten. The majority that I have talked to pay attention to the actual calories eaten. I have been on Dr. Oz's "Move It and Lose It" website last winter and they did not figure net calories. Calories In and Calories Burned is all you need to worry about. I would use your actual calories. Again this is my first week and Tuesday I will weigh my self for the first time being on this site so I guess that will let me know if I am doing this right. Good luck to you. :smile:
    I was just telling a friend how confusing this is for me, because I've started working out a little every day (yoga video + an hour interval training on the treadmill, some strength training, starting the 30-day shred today) and I've gone fully vegetarian, and it's near impossible for me to eat anywhere near 1200 NET calories a day.

Today I had a full breakfast (yogurt, breakfast bar and coffee), full lunch (a plate of 2 kinds of cheese, whole wheat crackers and pear and apple slices, plus a slice of key lime pie), full dinner (tomato bisque soup with mozzarella, huge salad, 4 double stuffed Oreos) and ALL I did was the 30-day shred, plus 50 minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes of yoga and I'm still under about 630 calories for the day net with a goal of 1390 calories a day. I've eaten 1400 calories gross, though, so I'm all kinds of lost. I basically would have to have a fourth meal - a big high-calorie one - to be able to exercise and still make it to 1200 calories. I'm totally lost.
  • GeorgieLove708
    Options
    I was just telling a friend how confusing this is for me, because I've started working out a little every day (yoga video + an hour interval training on the treadmill, some strength training, starting the 30-day shred today) and I've gone fully vegetarian, and it's near impossible for me to eat anywhere near 1200 NET calories a day.

Today I had a full breakfast (yogurt, breakfast bar and coffee), full lunch (a plate of 2 kinds of cheese, whole wheat crackers and pear and apple slices, plus a slice of key lime pie), full dinner (tomato bisque soup with mozzarella, huge salad, 4 double stuffed Oreos) and ALL I did was the 30-day shred, plus 50 minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes of yoga and I'm still under about 630 calories for the day net with a goal of 1390 calories a day. I've eaten 1400 calories gross, though, so I'm all kinds of lost. I basically would have to have a fourth meal - a big high-calorie one - to be able to exercise and still make it to 1200 calories. I'm totally lost.

It all depends on your height, weight, day-to-day activity level, and how much exercise you do. There's a forum post on here that you can search for "in place of a roadmap 2.0" that should clear a lot of that up.

Since your deficit to lose weight is already calculated into your calorie goal, not eating back your exercise calories creates a bigger deficit, which isn't bad if you have your goal set to .5-1 pound a week. If your goal set to 2lbs a week, you're already at a 1000 calorie a day deficit and not eating your exercise calories could be potentially dangerous. The absolute best thing for you to do if confused is speak to a doctor and/or nutritionist.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have it set to lose .5 lbs a week, so I'm not going to worry as long as I feel good and not hungry.

I agree that the best thing to do is to work with a personal nutritionist, but not everyone can afford one or has access to one, so I'm here trying to make the best educated guesses I can :) Thank you.
  • intoalternative2003
    Options
    Thanks everyone, Im gonna weigh in tomorrow and maybe try to up the cals a bit. Theres not alot of cals in veggies and fruit, so if thats what your eating (healthy) than it might be hard to get to 1200 cals. What do you all think of protein shakes like nectar, to insure that your getting enough protein? And my choice of exercise is running mostly and alittle walking on the treadmil.
  • hapilymarried2006
    hapilymarried2006 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I truely dont believe in the counting calories thing its all in what types of food you eat if you eat good protein and veggies and fruit and make sure not eating alot of process foods youll be just fine :)
  • GeorgieLove708
    Options
    I have it set to lose .5 lbs a week, so I'm not going to worry as long as I feel good and not hungry.

I agree that the best thing to do is to work with a personal nutritionist, but not everyone can afford one or has access to one, so I'm here trying to make the best educated guesses I can :) Thank you.
    Don't I know it. lol. I can't afford one. The internet is nice that way, you can find a lot of information. And it also sucks because you find a lot of conflicting information. Best of luck!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, Im gonna weigh in tomorrow and maybe try to up the cals a bit. Theres not alot of cals in veggies and fruit, so if thats what your eating (healthy) than it might be hard to get to 1200 cals. What do you all think of protein shakes like nectar, to insure that your getting enough protein? And my choice of exercise is running mostly and alittle walking on the treadmil.
    Fruits and vegetables are certainly part of a healthy diet, a big part, but they don't entirely encompass a healthy diet. You need proteins and fats. Not all fat are unhealthy or undesireable. A healthy diet includes lean meats like poultry and fish. Fatty fish like salmon are especially good because they're an excellent source of "good fats". Legumes like beans and nuts are also excellent, especially if you'd prefer a vegetarian type diet. They're good for carnivores too, just especially important to people not eating meat. Even beef and pork are fine in moderation. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that because fruits and vegetables are good for you they're the only thing that are good for you. You definetely need protein and fat, don't ignore them or you'll find yourself with other problems.

There are few things that will totally kill your diet as long as you are careful and consume them in moderation. They aren't "good for me" but I still consume wine, beer, and the occasional dessert. Despite this I have steady progress. Working out helps, but the key is to learn moderation. Remember this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. Can you go the rest of your life never ever having dessert? I can't, or at least I see no reason to. I just don't need it every night, or to be a huge amount.
  • jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Options

It all depends on your height, weight, day-to-day activity level, and how much exercise you do. There's a forum post on here that you can search for "in place of a roadmap 2.0" that should clear a lot of that up.

Since your deficit to lose weight is already calculated into your calorie goal, not eating back your exercise calories creates a bigger deficit, which isn't bad if you have your goal set to .5-1 pound a week. If your goal set to 2lbs a week, you're already at a 1000 calorie a day deficit and not eating your exercise calories could be potentially dangerous. The absolute best thing for you to do if confused is speak to a doctor and/or nutritionist.

Okay,glad to know I doing this right. I have mine set for losing 1 lb per week. I read several years ago that it's healthier to lose slowly because you have a better chance of keeping it off. Thanks for the information. :flowerforyou:
  • intoalternative2003
    Options
    Welp I weighd in this mornin and whoop whoop down another 4lbs. So I guess Im doing something right. Trying to focus on one mfp entry at a time. I know 4 lbs seems like alot in a week, but thats not every week for me, I was down 2 last week and just as happy for a loss. So thanks all for the recommendations... keep rollin everyone